Bringing some life into a older hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ayoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wanted to get some input on if you guys can think of anything else I may can do to squeeze some more hp out of my Gen 3 hemi. I know it’s probably been awhile since anyone has discussed this model but thought I would give it a try! I have a 2004 dodge ram 1500 with the 5.7 and bought it with a blown engine in good condition for 2,000$. Rebuilt the engine back mostly stock with good parts like hell cat lifters and oil pump etc but nothing to where I would need a custom tune. I did re surface the heads and bumped the compression ratio up probably half a point and also ported the heads. The other modifications that have been done are full exhaust including flow tech shorty headers, CAI, and now doing a canned Diablo tune. I have heard that hemi fever can do some good custom tuning and may go this route if you guys think his tuning is a lot better than the pre set tunes on the Diablo I3 tuner. Other than that I have heard of people changing out the torque converter on this year as it has been said to have freed up some hp to the wheels. Anyways if you read through this winded post feel free to let me know what you guys think
Thanks

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I might be totally off base here because I've never had an older Hemi. I went straight from a 360 to a newer Hemi. Is the fan for your engine belt driven or electric? If it's belt, maybe look into pulling it and replacing it with an electric one. That'll free up a little hp if that's the case.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
When you said old hemi, I was thinking 1950,s ones, did a couple of those
I did have a new 2005, but I never did any thing to it.
What I noticed is my’14 sport with the 8 speed and electric fan and steering has really bumped up the snap
Not that this answers your question

OP
OP
A

Ayoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Loudram good point, it does a have a belt driven clutch fan, I have looked into replacing it for an electric just trying to find a good kit

And yeah the Gen 3 are rated for like 345hp and 375tq at the flywheel, would be happy to see around 380 maybe 390 hp which would put me pretty close to the newer generation Hemi haha

OP
OP
A

Ayoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Marshall yeah that’s seeming the easy way to squeeze more hp is to do more electric components