Buying From Hertz

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Back to the truck itself: I like the red color. Seems in good shape. Not many nonsense options. I personally prefer the 'bench' seat myself, cause it gives you more leg room and put things in the center. Those 13" wide RAM center consoles are a huge waste of space and make the trucks feel more cramped! LOL. But a lot of guys like the console, ...so you need to figure out if you want that. Also, it doesn't *seem* to have 'Auto 4x4' ...which you probably need in Colorado. Unless I'm not seeing that switch right. I think you posted that in another thread. That means you really have a 2wd, but you can use 4x4 in emergency use. But can't leave it in 'locked' 4x4 for driving except on full-snowy roads. Mine has the same set-up. And the driveline WILL bind. It's not a good set-up for snowy driving.

OTOH!!!! LOL. This truck could present a huge Opportunity ..if you look at it the right way: If you swapped out the transfer case for one which has a similar Select-Track-style ("Full-Time" as Jeep calls them) ...basically a mech diff inside. Then you'd have the BEST Ram 1500 4x4 that Ram never built (but should have). Basically full 'locked' and a 'mechanical' center diff. You just need to find the right transfer case with electric shift, install it (a bolt in, with possible driveshaft wrk) and replace the knob section and reprogram it with AlphaOBD. I forget the exact transfer case you need. I'm thinking about doing that to mine. Then you have a mechanical differential when you want 4x4 on dry or pavement stretches, and better traction than the Rams with AUTO. Like the old Grand Cherokees had. And since you say you keep them till 300k miles, you'll get a lot of use out of that set-up. And be worth more when you sell it.

I think 10 years down the road, this will be THE trail-mod younger guys will be making on ol Rams.

Let us know if you pull the trigger on it!! :waytogo:

Last edited:

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I don’t believe a company that loses track of where vehicles are and whether they are rented or stolen can be counted on to follow the maintenance schedule.

$168 million class action settlement
Maybe. I don't believe the sales group and the maintenance group are related. Like sales and service at any dealership, no connection.

OP
OP
M

mjbrox113

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Wow, thank you all for the feedback. My mind is spinning with all the options out there.

I may just pause my search for a week or two so that I can come back with some clarity lol

But the enterprise options look pretty good

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow, thank you all for the feedback. My mind is spinning with all the options out there.

I may just pause my search for a week or two so that I can come back with some clarity lol

But the enterprise options look pretty good
Also car/truck prices are falling rapidly if you can wait a little longer you might just find a awesome deal.

ranchhopper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Look into buying one from Fastenal they sell them off pretty regular to update their fleet of delivery trucks and they use exclusively ram trucks around here. I believe they are a national company so they should have one near you and from what I hear they are pretty reasonable but you only have one color choice (white).

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I say you buy the red one, which looked rather nice. Then after you're ready, swap out the transfer case to a mechanical diff one (but electric shift), and you'll have a Super-Ram!! Or a mechanical center diff kit ..if one is avail:

My tk is white. Honestly, after a while White is kind of an annoying color. Or non-color. Avoid white.

Last edited:

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
We bought a 2013 Hyundai Elantra from Hertz for my daughter a few years back. It was a good car. We did have to buy the spare tire kit and a second fob as many rental vehicles do not have spare tires and/or only 1 key. We sold it to a friend and they still drive it today.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
There are too many red flags with that Hertz truck.

I now have this one on my radar and its local to me

It has reasonable miles, good color and only a couple years old.

I had dreams of having a loaded up truck but id rather have less miles on a newer truck. That said, are there any options that anyone thinks im really missing out on? Also, I notice that these dont have the "4WD Auto" button. What is that function? I will be driving in the snow on highways quite a lot.

Finally, I love that the truck does not have a trailer hitch because it I know it hasn't been abused with excessive towing. However, I will be installing a hitch and wanted to know if im going to need to add transmission coolers
The window sticker says it originally came with a hitch. You get a one year warranty, looks good to me. When buying used, most change all fluids. As a do it yourself person, check out the instructions for changing the trans fluid. More complicated on the 8 speed than a regular drain and fill. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a used vehicle from enterprise.

Last edited:

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
these replies are falt out, killing me.

Where do you all think those 1 or 2 year old Used cars are coming from? You know, the lease turn ins.
?

Well guess ehat, tHertz and others, who retial their used acars are simply not returning the cars in, after the lease is up, other rental outfits still do, the lesswer ones, who donot maintaint their stuff as well as teh big boys.

Today, I;d much rather uby from enterprize or herts than a dealr lease trade in. I know what i am getting from the hertz. oil change every time its returned from a rental, no matter mileage.

all those i drive rentals like ip;m 15 tales?
so what, do it, have fin, you rented. Hertz dont care eitehr, thats what teh warranty is for and if every renter is as reatrded, that motor will be replced long beofre it rolls around to sell it point.

OP

buy what you want and be happy.

though, if you truly are looking at logn term owndership, thats when you buy less options and go new so you knwo how it was cared for, from day one.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I say you buy the red one, which looked rather nice. Then after you're ready, swap out the transfer case to a mechanical diff one (but electric shift), and you'll have a Super-Ram!! Or a mechanical center diff kit ..if one is avail:

My tk is white. Honestly, after a while White is kind of an annoying color. Or non-color. Avoid white.

Unless your someone like me who prefers white for it's high visibility on the road, its ability to hide small dents and scratches and its longevity and resistance to paint fade due to its nature and how it reflects light and heat in the summer.....but hey, that's just me. Everyone is different and that's ok.

ranchhopper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

White has only one advantage you cant see the dust on it.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
~ oil change every time its returned from a rental, no matter mileage.~

Sorry, Fish, but I’m gonna call BS on that. Unless there’s a citation to back it up. If it is true, I guess it makes it easier to understand their bankruptcy.

If I’m wrong, I’ll apologize and send you a beer. No hard feelings.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My biggest concern would be what brand oil did they use, some oils don't have much if any Molybdenum which our hemi's need. Also did they use synthetic or did they use regular oil and let it go the full 10k miles our oil monitor recommends?

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Sorry, Fish, but I’m gonna call BS on that. Unless there’s a citation to back it up. If it is true, I guess it makes it easier to understand their bankruptcy.

If I’m wrong, I’ll apologize and send you a beer. No hard feelings.
Back in teh stone age, knew a manager for Hertz, they bought barrells of the recycled oil that msot dealerr suse for their 3 oil changes for 9 cents package they sell in teh service depts. Everytime car came in, got an oil change. not if it was out for a week or less but if over a week, got a change, deductible and kept things running. think about it, if cars in teh shop, it aint making money.

no idea why the company went under suspect poor managmenet by highly paid execs.

I do nknow, that those used car auctions, which only Franchisee's can attend and buy oen or 2 year brands are almost all fleet vehciles. Few from supr large companies that lese firect from automanufacturer but almost all were enterprize, hertz and the like. Just liek any other lease, you get to keep it for x number of months or miles then got to be turned in to factory, for re-sale to tehir dealers.

when Chrysler hooke dup with renault, we got a ton of those little convertibles and mande a mint of them. everyoen a trud

Ramtastic1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Why do you say they get beat on? Seems to me the worst abuse a truck gets is when it is towing and these rental trucks dont have tow hitches
While I was attending college I worked for one of the major car rental companies. My job was to detail and complete preventative maintenance (oil changes) on the vehicles in the fleet. I will never buy a used rental car because I have personally seen vehicles that slipped through the cracks and missed oil changes. I once saw a vehicle that went about 20,000 miles without an oil change… And at the time (early 2000’s) the company I worked for used conventional oil.

Mb7640

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have bought a few rental vehicles from the dealer in the past no issues at all. I do change the oil right away. Just for piece of mind on my part. Hope it works out for you

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
My car a 2011 O purchased 2012 from Dealer was a Enterprise Rental and my 2015 RAM purchased 2016 from a dealer was also a Enterprise Both great

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My biggest concern would be what brand oil did they use, some oils don't have much if any Molybdenum which our hemi's need. Also did they use synthetic or did they use regular oil and let it go the full 10k miles our oil monitor recommends?
I’m sure it’s cheap non syn but it’s changed often with enterprise cars.