Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The Bighorn and Sport trims got the 44-44 as well. The SLT was the highest trim you could get the 44-45 in until the Rebel came out.
With the 1500s the Big Horn, Sport, Outdoorsman, and Rebel are all option packages based off the SLT trim level, the only trim level to have both transfer cases available. My Outdoorsman is an SLT and has both the Outdoorsman and Big Horn option packages.

Mitchelljarvis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve never been so happy to read a thread. I’ve been looking for a way to swap my 44-44 to the 45 for so long. Been waiting on RSG for the conversion kit for so long but they’ve been having problems. Just ordered my mx+ programmer and got a bw44-45 t case for 300$. My tcase is absolutely toast because I used my truck as a truck. Will be doing the swap this weekend. And will post how it turns out.

Thanks for all the great info

Mitchelljarvis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Another successful bw44-45 swap. Swapped my old paper weight of a t case bw44-44 for the more reliable and true 4x4 bw44-45. Swap was done in my 2013 ram sport, using a low mileage 9000km 45 tcase from a 2012 ram, and got a tcase switch from a 2014. Seems to work great.

Just one thing though, when I switch to 4hi it goes in greAt, but when I switch back to 2wd I either have to be going 25kmph or so, or put the truck in neutral for it to switch to 2wd.

Also I used alfaobd to change my tcase type to bw44-46 with syncro

Is this normal?

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Its odd. Mine switches both ways, while parked.

Mine is a 2013 sport.

Doesnt sound like a big deal though. Maybe its just having a little trouble with the mesh syncronizers. I brt itll break in with a little use.

Mitchelljarvis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Its odd. Mine switches both ways, while parked.

Mine is a 2013 sport.

Doesnt sound like a big deal though. Maybe its just having a little trouble with the mesh syncronizers. I brt itll break in with a little use.

Ya the tcase was also in 4wd when it was taken out of the parts truck so that might have had something to do with it. Either way it’s working. So I’m not gunna lose sleep over it

OP
OP
M

Moparman16

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Another successful bw44-45 swap. Swapped my old paper weight of a t case bw44-44 for the more reliable and true 4x4 bw44-45. Swap was done in my 2013 ram sport, using a low mileage 9000km 45 tcase from a 2012 ram, and got a tcase switch from a 2014. Seems to work great.

Just one thing though, when I switch to 4hi it goes in greAt, but when I switch back to 2wd I either have to be going 25kmph or so, or put the truck in neutral for it to switch to 2wd.

Also I used alfaobd to change my tcase type to bw44-46 with syncro

Is this normal?
Mine took a little longer to shift between modes when I first put it in. It got much smoother once I used it more. Probably due to these used transfer cases sitting around prior to us getting them. I wouldn’t stress over it

Hell-Hound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fyi. With the assistance of moparman16. I have changed out my pos 4444 with the 45. I had no issues following his guidelines.

The one thing I havent done is change out my 4 position shifter. The 4wd works flawlessly, you just dont have auto. Locks and unlocks utilizing 4 low, high, and 2wd.

It took running it through twice before the computer understood what was going on. So for those wondering. Yes your original 4wd shift selector will wor

OP
OP
M

Moparman16

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Fyi. With the assistance of moparman16. I have changed out my pos 4444 with the 45. I had no issues following his guidelines.

The one thing I havent done is change out my 4 position shifter. The 4wd works flawlessly, you just dont have auto. Locks and unlocks utilizing 4 low, high, and 2wd.

It took running it through twice before the computer understood what was going on. So for those wondering. Yes your original 4wd shift selector will wor

That’s great news! Report back once you have had some more time using the 4 position switch and if everything still works properly I will update the instructions.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, please do! Im curious what happens if you hit auto (accidentally or on purpose) and then try to get into any other mode.

If the 4 position switch works fine, there is basically no simple way to even tell a 44-45 was swapped in .....

Hell-Hound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Chrisbh17 nothing happens if you go to auto. No display of 4 auto or anything. It doesn't lock the driveshaft, no noise or anything. Until 4 lock and low

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
It might lock your axle disconnect, be the same as locking in an old set of hubs, If the computer even recognizes the buttons command.

Hell-Hound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Loum I cant speak for everyone's pickup but in auto mine locks nothing in. The only time my front axle locks is if I go to 4wd lock or low.
I have crawled all over my truck to find something wrong and I cant. It functions just like it use to with the exception auto 4wd does nothing that I can find.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
Was that before or after your swap and reprogram?
Before; according to everything I could find, auto would lock the axle disconnect and then wait for the computer to control the clutch in the t case. I noticed in mine that when auto was engaged the front end felt heavier and the mileage went down a bit.
After; I wouldn't be surprised if it does nothing as the programing wouldn't even be looking for any input from the auto switch as it wouldn't be there factory.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you turn the key to the run position with the engine off you can hear the front axle disconnect engaging and disengaging. Mine will engage in 4Auto...

Hell-Hound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's crazy. I dont know why mine is different. I laid underneath the truck and had a buddy cut the truck to run with it in auto and it didnt do anything. Have you cycled through your case. Ie. 4 low and back?