Cabin Air Operation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You can turn recirculation on by pressing button, is that what you mean?

Princeton_Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like tron67j said, the recirculate/fresh air button on the front of your fan speed switch controls the recirc/fresh mechanism.

If you have your temperature control to the coolest setting it overides the recirc/fresh switch and places the system in recirc. Turning the temp control to the right one click removes the override.

OP
OP
J

Jesse Navarrette

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins Diesel
No, It switch automatically to recycle when I do not what it to, looking for a way for the system to stay where I choose, either recycle or fresh outside air and not switch back to recycle when I have pushed the button to outside air. Ask the techs at a dodge dealership and all I got was the deer in the headlights look. And this gets back to what I have said for a few years
" If the computer does not them what parts to change, they are lost"

Octane

Reaction score
No, It switch automatically to recycle when I do not what it to, looking for a way for the system to stay where I choose, either recycle or fresh outside air and not switch back to recycle when I have pushed the button to outside air. Ask the techs at a dodge dealership and all I got was the deer in the headlights look. And this gets back to what I have said for a few years
My '13 Ram does the same thing sometimes. It should stay in the setting I put it but it changes on its own for no particular reason

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Even before I switched to the single zone Auto-Climate control I would notice the recirculation door would open/close by itself usually when it was hotter and high humidity. If you turn it to recirc then back open it should stay open till you turn the truck or HVAC off.
If either of the defrost vent modes are selected the recirc door doesn't close.
If you already have the 8.4 radio, doing the ATC mod is worth the price of admission. Probably my favorite mod I've done.

Outbreak

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7

Mine does the same thing and I HATE IT!!!

DevilDoc8404

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Crash68, what is the ATC mod?
Is there a fix for the recirculation door to stay closed? unless mine is on Max AC, it opens whenever it wants.
I do a lot of heavy city traffic, and the exhaust fumes just roll-on in

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
what is the ATC mod?
Automatic Temperature Control, you can add this feature if your truck is a single zone similar to what the dual zone trucks have.
Depending on what options your truck has will change what you need to add it. If you already have the 8.4 radio, you just need to add the temperature sensor and windshield humidity/dewpoint sensor.

There's times when you can't force the recirc closed

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
There is a possible answer

Fresh air enters from under the hood, then the air travels down through the the Cabin Air Filter.
Cabin Air Filter access door was first put in Rams built after January 2016, ( the filter was not included from the assembly plant )

My thought would be,
if you rather not have fresh air entering the cab
just make yourself a block off plate that will fit into the space where the CAF is inserted.

It would be easy if you had a 3D Printer ?

Personally, i press the
1670883322004.png

1670883453698.png

assblaster5000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
There is a possible answer

Fresh air enters from under the hood, then the air travels down through the the Cabin Air Filter.
Cabin Air Filter access door was first put in Rams built after January 2016, ( the filter was not included from the assembly plant )

My thought would be,
if you rather not have fresh air entering the cab
just make yourself a block off plate that will fit into the space where the CAF is inserted.

It would be easy if you had a 3D Printer ?

Personally, i press the
View attachment 508763

View attachment 508764
Do you think dropping a filter in would cause issues with hvac system?? Just found out mine has a door but no cabin air filter. Tech at dealership didn't know why. Suggested researching a little to avoid damaging something. I have a 2016 sxt.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Ram never had even a door for the Cabin Air Filter in December of 2015

In the early part of 2016, they installed the CAF Door

The Cabin Air Filter catches dirt, dust & pollen & that means that unwanted debris does not reach the Evaporator

this would not happen with a CAF installed

ac-condenser-dirty-clogged.jpg
hqdefault.jpg

how-to-clean-evaporator-coil-without-removing.jpg

a CAF filter containing Charcoal helps to keep out odors & debris
some people prefer a Fram Fresh Breeze CAF

dge-Ram-HVAC-Heater-Box-Complete_2048x2048_960x960.gif