Cam/Lifters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chucky9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Best place to get new MDS camshaft & lifters kits for 2012 5.7 dodge ram or should I go for the NON-MDS kits?? what do you guys recomend?? thanks

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
MDS Multiple Displacement System.
It’s shuts down 4 of the 8 cylinders when not needed. Horrid if you have any type of aftermarket exhaust or headers. NON MDS will take the MDS right out, running on 8 cylinders all The time. Most, myself included, use a tuner and have it tuned out or shut it off yourself if running a canned tune.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Best place to get new MDS camshaft & lifters kits for 2012 5.7 dodge ram or should I go for the NON-MDS kits?? what do you guys recomend?? thanks

Are you tuned,or planning on tuning it? There are cam kits available that are a slight upgrade from stock,that don't require tuning,but the majority of aftermarket cams should be tuned,especially any cam that locks out the phazor or deletes the MDS lifters. If you're not planning on a tune,stick with a stock replacement style cam

OP
OP
C

Chucky9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just need to know price diference to see if I get again MDS or nonMDS. But i dont know where to buy good quality MDS lifters.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Just need to know price diference to see if I get again MDS or nonMDS. But i dont know where to buy good quality MDS lifters.

You forgot to answer the most important part of the question"are you tuned,or planning on tuning it".If you're not tuned,or planning on tuning it,stick with a stock replacement cam and lifter set-up

OP
OP
C

Chucky9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well it depends price difference on the kits. I like it how it runs stock but if the difference on the kits are 200-300 I will buy the non-mds and tune it.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Well it depends price difference on the kits. I like it how it runs stock but if the difference on the kits are 200-300 I will buy the non-mds and tune it.

You can buy the stock mds cam or the stock non-mds cam from the dealer for next to nothing.The non-mds 5.7 cam for a 5.7 manual transmission Challenger will need tuning,but it's cheap as hell.You seem to be worried about cost more then anything,if that's the case,just stick a new stock mds cam and new lifters in it,and run a good oil and filter,like 5W-30 Redline and a RP /Wix etc. filter on it,and call it good.There's not all that much power to be gained from a cam swap on a stock truck,as the factory cam isn't all that bad.I know of a few guys who were disappointed with a cam swap,even though i'd warned them not to expect huge gains on a stock truck,even with tuning.Bang for buck a cam swap isn't a great gain,it's one of the last things to do,after long tube headers/convertor /gears etc.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Ohhh ok. Thank you i will start looking for parts. Thanks

Sorry i said stick a stock "non-mds" cam back in,when i meant to say stick a factory stock MDS cam back in it.If cost is an issue,that'd probably be your cheapest option,just put the factory parts back in,and run good oil,avoid 5W-20 if you can.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

Another thumbs up for Moes . Give Matt a call and check your different options.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Is he selling lifter again? He was out for a ion, it will be great if he is selling lifters again.

not sure, but I'm sure he could recommend what and where to get them.

Daddyhas2boys

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Moesperformance.com has a nice selection. If you delete mds you will lose mpg anywhere from 1-3 , im tuned through [email protected] and have 2 separate custom tunes...1 with mds and 1 without mds...just a heads up

Crazy Horse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you do a complete removal of the MDS components can you then go with a vvt cam and normal lifters? I mean removing the solenoids etc.