Can I be leaking oil through my block?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaveRamsey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have been plagued with this oil leak. I was sure it was oil filter adapter seals. Then after really cleaning the sealing surface, and using black rtv, I replaced the whole adapter. It actually appears that the oil is leaking from the top side of the block side “flange” / mounting point for the adapter. It is a solid stream about 1/16” thick that pours off when running. There is heavy corrosion on this motor. Is it truly possible oil is coming out of my block here? TIA

7E98B735-76E4-44C4-B797-82BDBB91DCAD.jpeg

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess it would be possible, although not that probable. Are you the original owner? The only thing I can think of is if was possibly a flood vehicle, possibly submerged in salt water. That would be my only guess.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

DaveRamsey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought it from the original owner. It was used as his plow truck and to haul his boat to the lake, supposedly. But honestly the front end is abnormally rusted. If it was a head gasket, would I see low pressure oil alone, or would i see milky oil/coolant?

02ramboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
Him using as a plow truck explains it all the salt from the snow is what rusted away everything in that front end it’s very possible there’s parts on that motor that’s rusting away beyond repair unless you want to spend a lot a lot a lot of money to possibly change motor and repair everything rusted. I suggest selling that truck as fast as possibly and getting another in better condition and much less rust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The OCD in me says wash wash wash all that dirt and grease off so you can see... The old schooler in me, and dad ringing in my ears, ( Don't wash it off , all that dirt is keeping it from leaking way worse.) I would highly doubt oil is coming out of the block itself. Likely a head gasket or just some other place. Not sure but is that a sensor oil pressure possibly behind those lines. If so thats a possible place to look.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Is that the Hemi? It looks like it has an aftermarket oil filter relocator, is it leaking around that? Check around the oil pan gasket and the oil pressure sensor. You’re sure it’s oil and not coolant right?

I Bleed Ram Trucks

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
Like OCDTech wash the heck out of that engine .I would start with the simple stuff like a valve cover gasket.The screws could be loose or the gasket could be gone bad .But listen to OCDTech and Chrisp2493 these guys will help you a bunch.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lasse452