Canadian Truck in Ohio... RUST

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TadsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 V8
Let me tell you my little story... of how I got screwed buying a Canadian truck.

I bought a used 2013 Ram 1500 SLT (50,000ish miles) last October (2017) from a dealership in Ohio. The truck looked and drove amazing (it still drives amazingly well). It was a sweet, sweet truck. Once spring came around, and the harsh Ohio winter finally subsided, I noticed a lot of new rust and bubbling paint all along both rocker panels and a few bubbles around both rear wheel wells. The repairs for this would be multiple thousands of dollars.. and, I just bought it. Not interested. Even the mechanic at the body shop said something is not quite right with the paint job for it to rust that badly that soon. Late attempt to check the warranty for rust, and I had some places say that they will honor the 5 year corrosion warranty (8 months expired but close enough). HOWEVER, the truck was originally sold in CANADA, and apparently ALL WARRANTIES ARE VOIDED once it crosses the border. My dealer did inform me that it was from Canada and also mentioned that the manufacture warranties are expiring soon... but nothing about the fact that the warranties would be voided.

I plan on contacting Chrysler Customer Care to see what they can do for me.

Do not buy a truck originally sold in Canada.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
I think that rule sucks ass! It’s still the same company so why the hell would all warranties be void! That’s some ********* political garbage for ya!

Well good luck my friend, hope they do something for you.

jmh288

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 (2017 1500 KIA OCT 2017)
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That really sucks. Best of luck getting it resolved.

Sent from my iX using my iThumbs via Tapatalk

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
uh....

“We have to price to be competitive in the marketplace, and because Canadians earn less and pay more in taxes, we price our vehicles lower there to make them affordable for that market,” Chrysler spokesman Dave Elshoff said.

For example, a pre-owned truck that is priced at $25,000 in the US could be priced around $20,000 in Canada, in order to remain in sync with the lower Canadian dollar. Therefore, we are able to export these vehicles back to the US with a $5,000 retail spread, and offer them to our buyers at an exceptional value.

This is why we don't let warranties transfer over.

Ultimately, you probably overpaid for a car that had a lower invoice than you would have seen in the 'merica

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I ran into a guy at my local advanced autoparts store. Had 3rd gen that ha rust on the rockets an wheel wells. Had this fixed and beelined the area. Said it cost 3000.00 and some change. Cheaper than buying a new truck imho.

OP
OP
TadsRam

TadsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 V8
Will they honor the warranty in Canada, you're not that far away. I'd talk to a Canadian dealer.

That idea might be crazy enough to work. It'll be a 3+ hour drive through Detroit. The fact that this may be my best option is complete shananigans.

autumnwalker

Reaction score
Good luck. FCA Canada hasn't stepped up to help me with a (minor) issue I'm having. Reaching out on social media (this forum, elsewhere) leads you to FCA USA and they "cannot" help me as I am a Canadian owner.

FCA treats their markets as 100% different - might as well be calling a Chevrolet dealer to service the truck under warranty.

OP
OP
TadsRam

TadsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 V8
Here are the pics of the rocker panel.

Today I flushed them out with a hose (for the first time) and a ton of dirt and rust came out. Mind you I’ve owned this truck only for 8 months. I think it’s previous owner never touched them.

Should I bother spraying oil or something in there to slow it down?

I’m also considering getting it cleaned up as much as possible and getting bed liner up to the first line. I don’t want to make the rust worse though.

0DBD3687-6BBB-4A06-B5DB-7A7020D24F18.jpeg

B9EB22C7-F0BF-498A-8D77-A14D82495DB4.jpeg

OP
OP
TadsRam

TadsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 V8
Update from Chrysler Care...

All warranties are voided everywhere because it was first sold in Canada and was moved to Ohio to be sold again.

The service representative acknowledged that all trucks are made the same. But, the warranties are different in each country. The truck was a great deal when I bought it. Now I know why.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Update from Chrysler Care...

All warranties are voided everywhere because it was first sold in Canada and was moved to Ohio to be sold again.

The service representative acknowledged that all trucks are made the same. But, the warranties are different in each country. The truck was a great deal when I bought it. Now I know why.

That sucks bud, I can’t believe their like that! I’d sell it off now so your not stuck with it, try to at least get 3/4 of your loot back.

CanadianNick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Yeah Bedliner won’t work. Rust will just pop through

RHeller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
and just be aware, that once a canadian truck is registered in USA, you CANNOT get warranty work done in canada any longer either. I got a smoking deal on a used 2014 canadian ram sport. Have had zero issues and saved atleast 6 grand. that savings will go a long way if I ever do have any issues.
There are quite a few car manufacturers that wont honor warranties once the vehicle is registered outside of the origin country. I have been more than happy with my canadian truck and would buy another if the savings was big enough!

OP
OP
TadsRam

TadsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 V8
Ok. New development.

I got underneath my truck to do some cleaning, looked to unplug the drainage holes under the rocker panel, but then noticed the access holes inside were covered with loose tape. Furthermore, the one access hole on both sides, closest to the front, were both completely uncovered (no tape or anything). I bought the truck in October 2017... and didn't notice that lack of tape until now.

OP
OP
TadsRam

TadsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 V8
Wide open access hole

Wide open unused screw hole for step bar

FA9976BF-3BB1-48A3-B42D-28E718FF2A76.jpeg

05B4FDE2-6226-4590-B8D4-C611F3885713.jpeg

Bee1971

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Sport 4x4
Engine
345 Hemi
My 2011 has zero rust there , back side and inside rockers - Not even a speck , seriously

Living in Salt WI Winter

That’s just a truck that wasn’t taken care of or washed underneath during winter months

RHeller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2011 has zero rust there , back side and inside rockers - Not even a speck , seriously

Living in Salt WI Winter

That’s just a truck that wasn’t taken care of or washed underneath during winter months

I agree, my 2014 canadian ram looks like new compared to that. Did you look underneath before you bought it? There is no way it didnt show signs last fall with that much rust

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990