Cargo camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
The solution may be too add a direct RCA video input to the factory radio connector, turn on the radio cargo cam input, and move the video feed to the radio from the switch.

M² Mods.

BOB RAM 2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 4X4 CREW
Engine
HEMI 6.4 with 456
MPGRIMM2,

I am not sure how to reply to direct comments. I wanted a cargo camera from the factory for my 2018 Ram but the dealers says "impossible". I just don't understand since you can order it from the factory on other models basically using the same hardware. If its a software issue, then why can't it be done at the dealer? Much to complicated for me to figure out so i purchased another tailgate backup camera with associated wiring. I mounted it on a suction cup cell phone holder. When i need to use it for putting my truck camper in the bed, I mount the camera on my back window, unplug the tailgate plug and plug in my "remote" camera. Now i am able to see my cargo area on my 8.4 screen just as if it was meant to be. I don't remember the cost but think is was a couple hundred dollars for everything. I do wish a software fix were available with the mounting of a factory cargo light/camera set up as on other models. It is what it is. I now have a 5th wheel and use it for that as well .... Just not the best method !!!!

Duane Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L - Diesel
MPGRIMM2 -

The reason I wanted the cargo camera was to keep an eye on the 5th wheel hitch...it's a shame that dealer's don't call the factory to find these things out...I almost walked away from the deal when I saw the switch on the dash...I will need to take it to another shop once out of warranty...I hope I can find a someone smarter then the dealership...they wanted to up sell me to the limited edition, the car play GPS sucks too...no internet on your phone no GPS..."on star" worked from where ever I was, even in the smokey mts...felt safer with On Star the U-Connect...

mjf6175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
MPGRIMM2,

I am not sure how to reply to direct comments. I wanted a cargo camera from the factory for my 2018 Ram but the dealers says "impossible". I just don't understand since you can order it from the factory on other models basically using the same hardware. If its a software issue, then why can't it be done at the dealer? Much to complicated for me to figure out so i purchased another tailgate backup camera with associated wiring. I mounted it on a suction cup cell phone holder. When i need to use it for putting my truck camper in the bed, I mount the camera on my back window, unplug the tailgate plug and plug in my "remote" camera. Now i am able to see my cargo area on my 8.4 screen just as if it was meant to be. I don't remember the cost but think is was a couple hundred dollars for everything. I do wish a software fix were available with the mounting of a factory cargo light/camera set up as on other models. It is what it is. I now have a 5th wheel and use it for that as well .... Just not the best method !!!!

Bob...sorry for a late reply to your post, I just happened to run across this thread. Let me try my best to explain some of this since I went though the same thing but ultimately installed an OEM cargo camera. What follows is in regards to adding an OEM Cargo camera. So here goes.....

1) First hurdle in adding the cargo camera is the wiring harness. There is no separate harness that you can buy from the parts department, nor is the needed wiring present in your Ram. The necessary wiring is contained in a complete harness that is part of your headliner and embedded into it. The only way to get this complete harness is to order the headliner. The headliner will run you in the range of $800+.

2) So even if your dealer went ahead and installed a new headliner, the next hurdle is activating the cargo camera. The function has to be turned on in the BCM of your Ram. In order to do that the dealer has to check the VIN of your Ram and ascertain if your Ram could have been ordered with a cargo camera. Keep in mind that all Rams do not have a cargo camera as an option, some of the factors determining if a Ram can have a cargo camera are: trim levels (Tradesman or SLT do not have a cargo camera available); 1500 VS 2500/3500 (I believe 1500's do not have a cargo camera as a factory option); cab configurations (Regular Cabs have camera restrictions). All these factors have an impact on whether your Ram could have been built with a cargo camera. If your Ram could NOT be built with a cargo camera then FCA will NOT enable the function in the BCM.

So to get that cargo camera I had M2Mods (they are a supporting vendor on this forum) build a custom harness that was relatively easy to install and when installed it all looks like factory wiring and connections. The next step was to get the Alpha OBD program and activate the cargo camera. Since you are using a tool outside of FCA there is no restriction from you activating the camera. Head on over to the DYI section for Alpha OBD to get more info. Need more? Ask and I will try my best. There are others here way more knowledgeable than me, maybe they will also jump in.

CHICKENWARRIOR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l Cummins Diesel
ALPINE-CAMERA-INPUT-HARNESS-JK-ALP-HRN-CAMCH.jpg pin diagram.jpg
What year is your truck?

I was poking around the BCM with the AE tool on my 2013 the other day looking for the CHMSL setting and must have missed it or it's not there on mine. (Thought it would be in Veh.Config 1).

Let us know of anything weird pops up after turning it on with the AE. @DeereGuy reported some oddities popping up on the 8.4 radio screen after doing it on his (ie power fold headrest button, and something else) that caused him to end up getting the BCM reflashed and CHMSL activated by the dealer instead.

http://www.ramforum.com/index.php?posts/1458159]M² Mods.

I am trying to add an aftermarket Cargo Camera to my 2017 Dodge Ram 5500 tradesman. I can not get an image to appear in the CargoCam button. Backup camera works fine.

This is what I have done.
Purchased and installed an 8.4 Stereo Upgrade with custom harness by MPGRIMM2 through a 3rd party for AC controls.
Used alfa to turn on the CHMSL
Turned on the Led CHMSL (as I got a DTC right after first hooking up)
Backup Camera works fine via the button and in reverse.
I purchased a Jeep RCA wiring harness with a plug that I removed to already have the leads with the PINS on them.
According to what I have read I need to add the new wires to pins 24+ and 25- for the CHMSL Camera for 2016-2017 Trucks which is what I did.
Added 12v constant power to leads to test
No image will appear when cargo cam option pressed but it does display "Camera system Unavailable"
I have walked away overnight sometimes to allow the system to reset after making changes.

In the meantime I also:

Reversed the leads 24 and 25 just incase RCA was wired backwards
I also tried Pins 21 and 22 and 21 and 23 since those are also listed for 13-15 trucks
Current backup cam appears to be using 21/32/33

in alfa I an seeing DTC trouble codes:

U112 - Lost communication with Rear Cargo Camera
U0264- Lost communication with Camera Module

If I clear them they come back

I also hooked up a monitor directly to the RCA plug of the cargo camera and used existing 12v connection and verified camera was working and getting an image. I also tried to use a video out of a DVD player to attach to the RCA input to see if I could get an image that way. No luck.

I am assuming I either have it pinned incorrectly (I have tried and double checked many times) or something else needs to be enabled. But I am out of ideas.

Someone threw me a bone when I installed my remote start and told me I needed to drive my truck and then let it sit for a day and what do you know. That worked! And I had remote start.

I hope someone has a tip for me for this camera as well.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
View attachment 226974 View attachment 226975

I am trying to add an aftermarket Cargo Camera to my 2017 Dodge Ram 5500 tradesman. I can not get an image to appear in the CargoCam button. Backup camera works fine.

This is what I have done.
Purchased and installed an 8.4 Stereo Upgrade with custom harness by MPGRIMM2 through a 3rd party for AC controls.
Used alfa to turn on the CHMSL
Turned on the Led CHMSL (as I got a DTC right after first hooking up)
Backup Camera works fine via the button and in reverse.
I purchased a Jeep RCA wiring harness with a plug that I removed to already have the leads with the PINS on them.
According to what I have read I need to add the new wires to pins 24+ and 25- for the CHMSL Camera for 2016-2017 Trucks which is what I did.
Added 12v constant power to leads to test
No image will appear when cargo cam option pressed but it does display "Camera system Unavailable"
I have walked away overnight sometimes to allow the system to reset after making changes.

In the meantime I also:

Reversed the leads 24 and 25 just incase RCA was wired backwards
I also tried Pins 21 and 22 and 21 and 23 since those are also listed for 13-15 trucks
Current backup cam appears to be using 21/32/33

in alfa I an seeing DTC trouble codes:

U112 - Lost communication with Rear Cargo Camera
U0264- Lost communication with Camera Module

If I clear them they come back

I also hooked up a monitor directly to the RCA plug of the cargo camera and used existing 12v connection and verified camera was working and getting an image. I also tried to use a video out of a DVD player to attach to the RCA input to see if I could get an image that way. No luck.

I am assuming I either have it pinned incorrectly (I have tried and double checked many times) or something else needs to be enabled. But I am out of ideas.

Someone threw me a bone when I installed my remote start and told me I needed to drive my truck and then let it sit for a day and what do you know. That worked! And I had remote start.

I hope someone has a tip for me for this camera as well.
Did you turn both of these to "yes"?

VehConfig 1 - CHMSL Camera
"Yes"

CBC Features - LED CHMSL Lamp Present
"Yes"

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thanks for the input. Yes that is the same pin location as I posted (front of plug vs. rear) I just needed to make sure. Out of ideas. The only thing I haven't checked is if the RCA cable is bad?
Are you sure? I originally used the wrong pins too. Double and triple check.

In addition, do you have a link to the camera you are using?

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Who currently makes the best aftermarket cargo cam for a DS body? I'm all set with my M2Mods radio harness and I'm just waiting for the shipping price to come down on the @SitKneelBend recommended 4 channel switch so that I can run multiple cameras.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Who currently makes the best aftermarket cargo cam for a DS body? I'm all set with my M2Mods radio harness and I'm just waiting for the shipping price to come down on the @SitKneelBend recommended 4 channel switch so that I can run multiple cameras.
I got mine from Customtronix a long time ago shipped from overseas for around $80 but they've gone up in price. I would consider making your own using your current third brake light. I have a spare third I can send you if you want to go this route.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I got mine from Customtronix a long time ago shipped from overseas for around $80 but they've gone up in price. I would consider making your own using your current third brake light. I have a spare third I can send you if you want to go this route.

Thanks, I have a spare chmsl , you know I like spare parts just like you do LOL. I looked at customtronix on YouTube and it looks like that's all they're doing is taking Mopar Grill emblems and chmsl lamps and putting a hole in them. I might as well do both and as I know you already messed around with this what camera do you recommend? I might as well buy a multiples and just do both and then I'll be ready for the switch supplier to lower that $35 shipping , yikes.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I've had 3 of these on my truck for 5 years now without issue.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AWRAYA2?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

The one from Customtronix though was more flush but I'm not sure what brand they used to replicate. It's best to get one with a lot of adjustment if it's not already purpose built and mounted in my experience.

CHICKENWARRIOR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l Cummins Diesel
Are you sure? I originally used the wrong pins too. Double and triple check.

In addition, do you have a link to the camera you are using?

Only because you posted this SitKneelBend and asked "ARE YOU SURE? DOUBLE AND TRIPLE CHECK" I went back and checked again.

You were right! Apparently I was actually using pins 14&15 looking at front instead of the back..or vice versa.

Once I had the right pins 24 and 25, that was it. Cargo Camera on! I suspected from the start I had the pins wrong as I stated, but after so many tries I thought I was in the right spot in the plug. Honestly if you had not posted this I likely would not have checked again.

Thank you!

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Only because you posted this SitKneelBend and asked "ARE YOU SURE? DOUBLE AND TRIPLE CHECK" I went back and checked again.

You were right! Apparently I was actually using pins 14&15 looking at front instead of the back..or vice versa.

Once I had the right pins 24 and 25, that was it. Cargo Camera on! I suspected from the start I had the pins wrong as I stated, but after so many tries I thought I was in the right spot in the plug. Honestly if you had not posted this I likely would not have checked again.

Thank you!
I did the exact same thing even though @Mpgrimm2 gave me perfect directions too...

CHICKENWARRIOR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l Cummins Diesel
I did the exact same thing even though @Mpgrimm2 gave me perfect directions too...

All is working well, but I still cant seem to clear these DTC faults even though it's working now. Any reason why or something I need to do?

Yes I did change the "LED CHMSL Lamp Present" to yes after I was getting a DTC for that as well.

U112E - Lost Communication with Rear Cargo Camera
U0264 - Lost Communication with Camera Module

BackupCameraError1.jpg BackupCameraError2.jpg

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
All is working well, but I still cant seem to clear these DTC faults even though it's working now. Any reason why or something I need to do?

Yes I did change the "LED CHMSL Lamp Present" to yes after I was getting a DTC for that as well.

U112E - Lost Communication with Rear Cargo Camera
U0264 - Lost Communication with Camera Module

View attachment 227127 View attachment 227128
I think I had to give it time but I'm not positive. I'd ask in the AlfaOBD thread with a brief summary just to be sure.

CHICKENWARRIOR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l Cummins Diesel
I think I had to give it time but I'm not positive. I'd ask in the AlfaOBD thread with a brief summary just to be sure.

I've given it 24 hours or more, however I haven't actually driven the truck. I know sometimes a drive is required for some settings.