CarPlay not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AresSK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Hello,

Just picked up my ‘19 Limited this morning and Apple CarPlay has stopped working. It worked fine the first few times I drove the tuck, but has since stopped working. When I connect my phone via usb it does charge, and the phone can connect over Bluetooth , but CarPlay never starts up.

In the iPhones’s car play settings I “forgot” the uconnect system and reattached the phone but uconnect never shows up as an option.

Anyone else experiencing similar issues?

Thanks.

OP
OP
A

AresSK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Figured it out. If I swipe down on my iPhone to view notifications, I see one that says Unlock your iphone to use Apple CarPlay. I unlock my phone and it works.

My wife’s car has CarPlay and it doesn’t care if the phone is locked or not so it seems Uconnect works a little differently in that sense.

DAVECS1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yea I am not sure these are standard implementations of Android auto and apple Carplay. The devices have very similar flaws using either Uconnect or the apply carplay or android auto

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
Figured it out. If I swipe down on my iPhone to view notifications, I see one that says Unlock your iphone to use Apple CarPlay. I unlock my phone and it works.

My wife’s car has CarPlay and it doesn’t care if the phone is locked or not so it seems Uconnect works a little differently in that sense.

In Android there is a setting called "Trusted Devices". Basically you tell your phone that certain devices are trusted and the phone does not need to be unlocked every time to connect to them. Perhaps Apple has a similar setting?

dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI® V8
So it appears I am not having the same problem as the OP as mine will periodically not connect but it does not power the phone either. It’s like the USB is not connected. It will start working again on it’s own after a period of time. It’s both USB ports and can’t connect to my phone or my wife’s phone while it’s acting up. Anyone else experience this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DAVECS1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Try switching cables. The truck is very picky about cable quality for some reason. I went to best buy and bought two of the midgrade cables and it has been rock solid ever sense, as far a connection goes, cannot say the same for the software unfortunately.

Doxmia

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also if you're on the iOS 12 beta (public or private), CarPlay now has to be manually unlocked no matter what your settings are. You can't just plug it in and have it work, you plug it in then unlock then it will start to work.

Kind of annoying tbh.

dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI® V8
I’ve tried different OEM Apple cables when the problem is happening. It’s really strange, took the family for a drive about 30 min away. Couldn’t get Car Play to pop up and fiddled with it for about 10 min in then gave up. When we were almost to our destination I tried it again and it worked.

@Doxmia, I am on the Public beta and don’t have that experience. Did you double check that you have the button enabled to enable CarPlay while the phone is locked?

2bec14246a40c3d5435e8c833a2af4ab.jpg

dozer327

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was at the dealer last week for some issues and the usb ports/carplay was one of them. Mine would charge when I started up the truck, but if I unplugged my phone it wouldnt charge anymore. They claimed it was my apply cord, even though it was pretty new. I went to best buy and bought a Apply USB-C cord and its worked great since and my apply car play connects every time.

Ryelinek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
My Apple CarPlay just stopped working today all of a sudden. Never had an issue after having the truck for a month.

Nothing will pop up when I plug in my phone now. The phone is still getting a charge but nothing else happens. Anyone else have any ideas how to fix this?

richnieveslv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just got my 2019 RAM 1500 Bighorn. The first couple of days I had it CarPlay worked fine. I would plug my phone into USB 1 and car play would pop up. Got in my truck today and plugged my phone in and nothing. I’ve turned the truck off, reset my phone, unplugged from usb and phone, replugged, tried a new cable etc and nothing. Wasn’t sure if the USB was getting power but when I pulled into the darkness of my garage I can see the usb’s are lit up, so I’m guessing yes. Went inside and grabbed a portable usb battery that charges phones on the go and plugged it in to see if it got juice and it did. Tried my phone again and bam CarPlay came on...WTF?!?!? Is there a known issue with bad USB outlets in these trucks or is a software issue. Either way it’s pretty annoying. Any advice or ideas?

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just got my 2019 RAM 1500 Bighorn. The first couple of days I had it CarPlay worked fine. I would plug my phone into USB 1 and car play would pop up. Got in my truck today and plugged my phone in and nothing. I’ve turned the truck off, reset my phone, unplugged from usb and phone, replugged, tried a new cable etc and nothing. Wasn’t sure if the USB was getting power but when I pulled into the darkness of my garage I can see the usb’s are lit up, so I’m guessing yes. Went inside and grabbed a portable usb battery that charges phones on the go and plugged it in to see if it got juice and it did. Tried my phone again and bam CarPlay came on...WTF?!?!? Is there a known issue with bad USB outlets in these trucks or is a software issue. Either way it’s pretty annoying. Any advice or ideas?

I’d be willing to bet that was a phone issue and not a truck issue.

richnieveslv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’d prefer it to be a phone issue and not have to go drop my truck off. Hopefully an apple update would fix this.

dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI® V8
It’s definitely a truck issue. I have had sporadic issues with CarPlay not working. Usually time is the only thing that seems to fix it. I have had it on 2 different trucks (3 different radios), with multiple cables and at least 2 different phones. If it’s a long trip it will usually start working somewhere along the way by unplugging and plugging back in. If it’s a short trip it usually works the next time the truck is started after sitting for some time. But turning off the truck and restarting right away did not fix it (I am assuming the radio doesn’t power all the way down in that short of time).

Very frustrating when it doesn’t work. Usually when mine doesn’t work it seems to be very hot out ( it’s not really this hot but my outside temp on the truck will read over 120) and when I plug it in it doesn’t act like the USB port is powered (not charging). I thought there might have been something with the order, I.e, remote start, plug in phone, and then press the start button but I could never get the sequence to replicate it. On one truck with the 8 inch screen, sometimes it would charge but still not recognize the device. On two different 12 inch screens it just doesn’t act like it’s plugged into anything.

All I can say is good luck.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Head unit companies don’t do development on AA or Carplay. They’re given the API for the interface and then AA or CarPlay takes over when connected. In layman terms, the HU provides the window on the HU, AA and CarPlay display inside the window.

USB connections on the other hand are something that is finicky. I installed a Kenwood HU in my last truck. Kenwood has an issue that if the total cable run was something over 6’ or so (can’t remember the exact distance) AA or CarPlay would not work. Same goes with using an adapter interface like Maestro with the center console port. While USB worked, AA or CarPlay would not as it could not carry the bandwidth required. This is why certain cables work better than others. Also don’t forget that these phone cables take abuse with plugging in and out as well as the phones terminals take abuse. I can’t tell you how many times my kids wrestled with their audio plugs on the iPods or iPhones failing and sticking.

Apple just had an update come out. Their updates are notorious for being buggy on initial public release and there is usually an update soon after to fix the mistakes. There are other factors as well, heat, as mentioned will shut a phone down in a heartbeat, that’s just the way they work as they go into protect mode to prevent failures or worse. Buggy software too, I’ve seen bad implementations of apps that take out another app, uninstall the faulty app and the affected app then works.

My point is, there are too many factors to just blame the truck. If you have issues and immediately can plug into a spouses or friends car with the same cable and then it works, plug it back in your truck and see if it still doesn’t work, if not, I might lean to the truck being the culprit. Me personally, I would reset my phone (not on and off, soft reset), let it boot and see if I could replicate the error.

No service tech is going to put the time into figuring out your AA or CarPlay issue as there are too many factors. They’ll swap parts until you’re coincidentally happy and go away. You’re the one who cares about it and will put the time in so do as much trouble shooting as you can.

That’s not to say there are not faulty HU’s or interfaces out there but pay attention to the thread complaints started about the 19s. Half the threads are resolved by people explaining to the original poster how to actually use the feature they did not initially understand.

dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI® V8
I completely understand how hard these things are to try and troubleshoot with so many variables. But sitting in my truck with two different phones on two different iOS versions that have both previously worked with AppleCar play and I just happen to have multiple cables (including a USB-C to Lightning) and when it doesn’t work there is no combination of cable, phone or reboots of phones that will get CarPlay to work (and this was before and after my 12 in. HU was replaced as well as on a different truck with an 8 inch screen) I can say with a fair amount of certainty that the issue is the truck.

richnieveslv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well it was too good to be true...drove to work tonight and Carplay worked fine. Got out of work this morning and it didn’t work.