CarPlay not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

richnieveslv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Very annoying...sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. Trying to avoid a dealership visit, so I’m waiting for apple to come out with their next update to iOS 12 before I bring it in.

1stnewram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My Carplay worked for 3 days and then it just stopped. I've tried different cables and 3 different phones with no luck. So I took my 2019 Limited to the dealership. They gave me a loaner (2018 Jeep Cherokee) and as soon as i plugged in my phone, Carplay worked just fine. After keeping my truck for a week they said they couldn't fix it and told me to wait for an update within next couple of months

richnieveslv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Worked great for the last couple of days and most of today until I got in my truck this evening and it didn’t work....

dozer327

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine was working fine yesterday but today it’s not and I’m getting this error. It’s a brand new Apple usb-c

CCDAC279-C7EA-4BAA-8474-314DBCEF9F77.jpeg

richnieveslv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow I haven’t seen that error yet. I’m really starting to believe the issue is software related. I notice if I plug my phone in within seconds of starting my truck my CarPlay works. If I wait too long it connects to the usb to charge but no CarPlay. I also notice that if the phone is connected to CarPlay and I unplug the phone, it’s not automatically connected to Bluetooth and I have to go into Bluetooth settings to connect and if I try reconnecting via usb it won’t connect back to CarPlay or even charge my phone.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just a thought...don’t know if it will help but when you guys with connection issues connect, are you unsecuring your phone first? ie, fingerprint, face recognition or passcode.

iOS has gotten very finicky with security and even a cable change or USB1 vs USB2 could be recognized as a breach and could require re-establishing permission.

Once again, this is a just a thought but if it helps someone, it was worth being said.

dozer327

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow I haven’t seen that error yet. I’m really starting to believe the issue is software related. I notice if I plug my phone in within seconds of starting my truck my CarPlay works. If I wait too long it connects to the usb to charge but no CarPlay. I also notice that if the phone is connected to CarPlay and I unplug the phone, it’s not automatically connected to Bluetooth and I have to go into Bluetooth settings to connect and if I try reconnecting via usb it won’t connect back to CarPlay or even charge my phone.
Mine does the same thing with CarPlay but not with the bluetooth.

dozer327

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just a thought...don’t know if it will help but when you guys with connection issues connect, are you unsecuring your phone first? ie, fingerprint, face recognition or passcode.

iOS has gotten very finicky with security and even a cable change or USB1 vs USB2 could be recognized as a breach and could require re-establishing permission.

Once again, this is a just a thought but if it helps someone, it was worth being said.

Yes, I do, but in the carplay settings I have it set so it doesnt need to be unlocked.

richnieveslv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve tried with the phone unlocked and locked. I can get CarPlay to work more often than before but it’s still hit or miss a lot of times.

dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI® V8
Is there anyone who has not received an OTA update yet? My 12 inch screen was swapped out and I have had it back from the dealer for over a month and I still have not received any update.

Also, would anyone who has received the update please post the Radio information so I can compare to mine and have a little more info if I need to reach out to Ram. You can get the info from the dealer menu by pressing and holding the two outside dock icons for about 10 seconds at the bottom of the screen.

Actually, I am curious why Tapatalk isn’t letting me insert pictures anymore. As soon as I figure that out I will post mine.

Edit: It was actually a bug in Tapatalk for the iPhone Xs Max. Had to download the beta. My pictures attached.

bccf0383a0abf014e79295b91cb6623c.jpg

6195e27ed047d2e725b3b960e97f92cb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

richnieveslv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does anyone know how to get all the firmware info on the Uconnect 8.4 model?

dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI® V8
Does anyone know how to get all the firmware info on the Uconnect 8.4 model?

I was told Temp Up, Temp Down and the Rear (possibly front) defrost for 10 seconds but don’t have an 8.4 to try it.

richnieveslv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So iOS 12.1 was just released, so I updated my phone at work before I got off. Got in my truck and plugged it in and bam CarPlay worked...I unplugged and plugged and CarPlay initiated every time. It may be early to be happy but so far so good.

dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI® V8
Still looking for someone to post the versions they have if they’ve received the update if they don’t mind.

BlownOut1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
CarPlay randomly stopped working for me as well. Worked for a month flawlessly, now nothing.

-Cord type makes no difference

-paired/unpaired/forget this device/etc makes no difference

-Locked/unlocked makes no difference.

-No iPhone is able to connect (wife’s, friends, etc.)

If anyone knows where this issue stands with FCA I’d be much obliged to know. Thanks in advance.

richnieveslv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah update didnt fix the issue. Worked well for a couple of days now it’s back to randomly working.