Check Engine light for active grill shutters, fan always on and loud

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alb96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 VVT
Hey guys, I have a 2019 Dodge Ram with the 3.6l v6. I just woke up one morning to a check engine light. I had a computer hooked up to the obd and it threw a AGS (active grill shutter) code. I pulled everything apart and the AGS along with the whole aero system seemed to be perfectly fine. I can’t really pin point what my issue is. One thing out of the ordinary is my fan is super loud and does not shut off at all after about 10 seconds or so after start up. One thing I realized pertaining to that is if I have the AC on and only at full blast the fan slows down and goes to a normal level. The Truck drives and is perfectly smooth other than the fan and the check engine light. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I’m losing my mind trying to figure this out lol. I’ll literally cash app/venmo/zelle anybody who can help diagnose this, as mechanic shops are filled locally.

Thank you in advance

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The AGS operation is monitored, it proves when the shutters are supposed to be open or closed.
As for the fan running, it speed can be driven from the coolant, oil or AC condenser. What temperatures is the EVIC reporting for the oil and coolant?

OP
OP
A

Alb96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 VVT
The AGS operation is monitored, it proves when the shutters are supposed to be open or closed.
As for the fan running, it speed can be driven from the coolant, oil or AC condenser. What temperatures is the EVIC reporting for the oil and coolant?
This was from a cold start

6B69916B-C1B9-46DD-99FE-46E4BB3343EE.jpeg

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
CRASH, his temps are fine. Might be a bad sensor or fan relay or a combo of both. OP, U got a code reader capable of reading pending, temporary and perm codes? U need to run a check because U may not always get a MIL light just for codes. OP, I do see that idiotic light so U do need to scan all elements thru OBD, may give U a clue and which direction to go. (Wish my temps looked like OPS).

OP
OP
A

Alb96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 VVT
Sorry In advance for the blow up it did not allow me to attach all with description.

This one is about 25minutes from start, no matter how long it stays on past this it doesn’t go any further/warmer. It does feel like the truck warms up very fast compared to regular but it doesn’t go past about half way once it is warmed up. 580779C0-D7F5-4334-AB16-740C62461495.jpeg

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Those temps are fine. U need to have a code reader run. Also, in your evic, there is a screen that supposed to show codes (screen message display screen), not sure how reliable why U need to have all codes scanned by a reader.

OP
OP
A

Alb96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 VVT
CRASH, his temps are fine. Might be a bad sensor or fan relay or a combo of both. OP, U got a code reader capable of reading pending, temporary and perm codes? U need to run a check because U may not always get a MIL light just for codes. OP, I do see that idiotic light so U do need to scan all elements thru OBD, may give U a clue and which direction to go.
I have ran it but it was on a oreillys computer that aren’t exactly the best. The only code it threw was this, which I believe is an AGS code.
Thanks for your input!
2BBB7DC0-CBC6-41A8-9A38-1E74D408AC97.png

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
from Mechanic site:

Dodge Mechanic:
During this conversation you will be given an automated offer for a phone call. You may accept or decline that offer.I don’t personally offer this service so if you take this another tech may call
I’m sorry that you’re having trouble with your vehicle. I will do my best to help you resolve them. Please understand that I do not know your knowledge or capabilities so I may need to ask questions to find out basic information to help solve your specific problem.
My aim is to give you the best service possible and to help you. If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to let me know. Sometimes it may take a moment for me to respond because I may have to look up information about your concern. I appreciate your patience and will provide responses as soon as possible.
U11E9-LOST COMMUNICATION WITH AGS (active grille shutter)
Possible causes are faulty PCM(powertrain control module), faulty AGS, short or open in the data communication lines or wiring between the 2.
All you can do yourself without an advanced scan tool is to check the connectors at the AGS and the PCM. If they are good, then it will need professional testing with a shop level scan tool
The PCM is bolted to the battery tray.
The AGS is behind the front grille and requires removing the grille to access it.
If yours is still under factory warranty, then this will be covered by it
Thanks for using Just Answer and letting me help you. I hope I provided what you needed. If you find more help is still needed, let me know by listing out any remaining questions you have on this concern. I hope the remainder of your day is well.

HOPEFULLY, U R STILL under warranty ref time frame, miles ok. Or maybe U have an extended warranty. Either way, looks like a trip to a Good Shop or Dealer.

BEST BOIRD can do, Internet Guessnosis.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It could be an issue with the Active Air Dam (if equipped), and not with the AGS. They both throw the same trouble code, and there are known issues with the AAD on 2019 models. Are you the original buyer of this truck, or did you buy it used? Maybe @RamCares can provide you with more information about this. Here is a thread discussing the issue with the AAD, and a letter that was sent out to owners of the affected trucks...

OP
OP
A

Alb96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 VVT
So I called the dealer my general warranty ended a few months ago and my power train is good for another 40k miles or 2024 so that’s not an option for me unfortunately

OP
OP
A

Alb96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 VVT
I have a video of my AGS when I opened it all up. When I disconnect and reconnect it, it would open the shutters that’s what led me to believe that it wasn’t that

OP
OP
A

Alb96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 VVT
It could be an issue with the Active Air Dam (if equipped), and not with the AGS. They both throw the same trouble code, and there are known issues with the AAD on 2019 models. Are you the original buyer of this truck, or did you buy it used? Maybe @RamCares can provide you with more information about this. Here is a thread discussing the issue with the AAD, and a letter that was sent out to owners of the affected trucks...

I’ll have to take a look at this thank you. But I wonder if that is what’s causing the fan to be so loud because it all happened at once but I can’t see how they would be related!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
this may not cover your Ram, BUT

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with Active Grille Shutters (sales code MDX). DISCUSSION: The customer may describe the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) is illuminated after the vehicle is serviced. The technician may find Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) U11E9 is either active or stored. DTC U11E9 - Lost Communication with AGS is set if the vehicle is started while the AGS electrical harness connector is disconnected. If the MIL is illuminated after performing service that involves disconnecting the AGS electrical harness connector, then use a scan tool (wiTECH) to confirm the presence of the DTC U11E9. If the DTC U11E9 is present: 1. Confirm that the AGS electrical harness connector is properly connected. 2. Clear any DTCs that may have been set due to the AGS electrical harness connector being disconnected. 3. Perform a test drive then use a scan tool (wiTECH) to check for any set or pending DTCs.

stormcom

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn
Engine
V6
This letter is to inform you that the warranty period for your vehicle's Active Air Dam has been extended - to 8 years / unlimited miles for vehicles already out of the warranty period. This warranty extension on

the Active Air Dam applies to certain 2019 Ram 1500 Pickup vehicles. Our records show that you either own or lease one of the vehicles affected by this warranty extension.

We are extending the warranty period on the Active Air Dam because some of the vehicles within the above referenced population may experience a Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) illumination due to water intrusion into the motor circuit. If you are experiencing this condition now, or if you experience them in the future, simply contact your dealer to have the appropriate repairs performed.

Conversely, if you do not experience this condition, then your Active Air Dam is operating

correctly and no repair is necessary.

If you have already experienced this condition and previously paid for a repair, you may be eligible to receive a reimbursement. Visit www.fcarecallreimbursement.com to submit an online reimbursement request. You may also complete the enclosed Customer Reimbursement Claim Form and send your original receipts, invoices and/or repair order to the following address for reimbursement. Your claim will be acted upon within 60 days of receipt:

FCA US LLC Customer Center​

P.O. Box 21-8004 Auburn Hills, MI 48321-8004

Attn: Reimbursement

If you have questions or need any assistance, please contact your dealer or the FCA US LLC Customer Care. FCA US LLC Customer Care is available 24 hours a day / 7 days a week. They can be reached at: 1-866-726-4636 or 1-866-RAM-INFO.

Please keep this letter in your glove box along with your vehicle's other warranty information for future reference if necessary. This warranty extension applies only to the Active Air Dam condition described above; the other terms and the "What's Not Covered" items of your warranty remain the same as stated in your Warranty Information book.

FCA US LLC is taking this action to demonstrate its commitment to your continued satisfaction

Buck416

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys, I have a 2019 Dodge Ram with the 3.6l v6. I just woke up one morning to a check engine light. I had a computer hooked up to the obd and it threw a AGS (active grill shutter) code. I pulled everything apart and the AGS along with the whole aero system seemed to be perfectly fine. I can’t really pin point what my issue is. One thing out of the ordinary is my fan is super loud and does not shut off at all after about 10 seconds or so after start up. One thing I realized pertaining to that is if I have the AC on and only at full blast the fan slows down and goes to a normal level. The Truck drives and is perfectly smooth other than the fan and the check engine light. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I’m losing my mind trying to figure this out lol. I’ll literally cash app/venmo/zelle anybody who can help diagnose this, as mechanic shops are filled locally.

Thank you in advance
it may be the grille shutter mech itself if symptoms still persist and grille system opens once heated ide take connector apart clean with electrics spray then pack with dielectric grease and try that. Mine froze open after using coinwash at end of snowstorm. At the time i didnt even know what grille shutters were, i googled this forum for the answer.

jfagan3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6

Thank you in advance
Having same exact issue currently. Did you ever get this resolved and have any advice on best route to take to fix this problem?