Check Engine Light - No Errors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

THRobinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Been sick all week so the truck hasn't run in about 4 days. Cold morning but not overly cold, -8'C/18'F.

Started the truck, no issues, except the Check Engine light came on.

Grabbed my cheap ODBII and plugged it in, and tried 5 apps and all say 0 error codes detected. I had this once with an Impala on a VERY cold morning, way colder than today. Thought maybe the same deal... cold day, triggered the light. Drove around the block and came home again. Engine when accelerating has an almost dry scrapping sound to it... but hard to tell if just normal or not. Truck has 390,000km on it and usually first thing in the morning it's a bit louder and makes noises when warming up and fluids get flowing. Half hour later it's running fine.

Any ideas? Kinda strange to get an error light with no error. Current, pending or stored.

Held the phone underneath and pressed the gas with my hand... noise coming from the front somewhere.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10oXz4Riw3M6mErJzaeV6K3n4PC8eeo4G/view?usp=sharing

Checked oil, gas cap... seems fine. Cleared the light and restarted the car and light's off. Waited a day before trying again, same noise, no light. Exhaust smoke is normal colour, but can definitely smell burnt oil when rev'd.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
4 dys?
Battery?

Bloody_Knuckles

USN 81-86
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Change the oil to a lighter weight and see if that helps. Maybe a 5w-20 or even a 0w-20.