Check engine/ traction control light transmission stuck in gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Seattleboy83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello everybody
New member longtime Ram and mopar owner. 2017 Rebel, I stopped at a light and when I drove away my check engine light came on as well as my traction control light. The transmission did not start out in 1st felt and remained stuck in what felt like 3rd or 4th. I drove home slowly about 2 miles and turned it off. Started up no traction control light but check engine is still on. Shift to drive and now it starts in 1st gear as it should. Thoughts and opinions please.
Also how do I get the code for the check engine light without having a scanner tool?
Thank you very much. BE2394F7-A9F3-4DEE-82D8-A07972C78C06.jpeg

Attachments

• 031CA89A-A422-46DC-AF6B-F07810260B9C.jpeg
    031CA89A-A422-46DC-AF6B-F07810260B9C.jpeg
    118.6 KB · Views: 7

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
that would be limp mode. You need to read the codes. I would got to advanced auto and have the codes read. I’m sure you must have something similar by you .

OP
OP
S

Seattleboy83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks y’all I appreciate it. I did not want to drive it any further than I needed too so I came home. I don’t want to really F the transmission up. Initial research looks like maybe a shift solenoid. It shifts right into reverse as it should but shifts into drive a little bit slower like takes a second or 2 where reverse goes right in. Are there separate solenoids for reverse and forward gears? Or does slower shifting into drive indicate the transmission itself is failing mechanically?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Are there separate solenoids for reverse and forward gears? Or does slower shifting into drive indicate the transmission itself is failing mechanically?
You'll need to read the codes, AlfaOBD is capable with a OBD adapter.
As for the transmission if you have the 8spd, the valve body and transmission controller are one assembly. Depending on the code a dealership would usually replace the valve body first, if that didn't work then the whole transmission is replaced.
When was the last time the transmission was serviced?

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You'll need to read the codes, AlfaOBD is capable with a OBD adapter.
As for the transmission if you have the 8spd, the valve body and transmission controller are one assembly. Depending on the code a dealership would usually replace the valve body first, if that didn't work then the whole transmission is replaced.
When was the last time the transmission was serviced?
His odometer shows over 167K, maybe a fluid and filter change and service help???

OP
OP
S

Seattleboy83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got the truck with 142k on it and do not know when or if it has been serviced. It doesn’t slip at all and fully warmed up operating temp trans is allways around 180-194. It happened today in town driving about 2 or 3 miles into my drive.

OP
OP
S

Seattleboy83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok I went and borrowed a scanner from autozone and it shows P0344 as the code which is cam position sensor. I am an antique motorcycle mechanic but don’t know **** about modern automotive sensors and electronics. Truck runs fine I’m assuming the sensor being bad or going bad put it in limp mode and that could be why my trans was stuck in 4th gear and it’s not necessarily my transmission itself?
Again thanks y’all for helping me.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ok I went and borrowed a scanner from autozone and it shows P0344 as the code which is cam position sensor. I am an antique motorcycle mechanic but don’t know **** about modern automotive sensors and electronics. Truck runs fine I’m assuming the sensor being bad or going bad put it in limp mode and that could be why my trans was stuck in 4th gear and it’s not necessarily my transmission itself?
Again thanks y’all for helping me.
Can’t answer this question, but I can tell you when replacing sensors, stick with oem. Folks have posted issues with aftermarket parts.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck did the exact same thing this morning. I am searching on here to see if anybody has already resolved the issue.....
2016 Ram 1500, 5.7, 8-spd, 2wd...
Check eng and trax ctrl lights came on at a red light. Felt like the truck tried to lurch fwd a little.
Then just like you said... Stuck in gear and wouldn't shift. After I shut it down, and re-started it the eng light was still on but it was shifting normally again with no traction control light......
I'm GUESSING based on all the threads I've seen so far including this one that I will get a P0344 like all the others, but ai don't have a scanner