Chrysler screwed me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Or they didn't get the response they were hoping for and either ghost the thread or make angry 2nd post.

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Since the op is long gone. I'll share my 2 cents worth of mobil 1 extended performance. Had my 07 pontiac g5 with the 2.2 for almost 8 years now. Got it with 55k it now has 209k. Wife's 15 outlander sport bought new now has 121k on it. Both vehicles have mostly ran mobil 1 extended performance with 10k oci. When mobil 1 wasn't available I'd get Castrol edge extended performance and run it the same 10k interval. Only happened twice on the g5 and once with the outlander sport. Both motors have never had or have any noises besides the noisy 2.0 mitsubishi injectors. Neither leak or burn any oil. Both obviously aren't high horsepower or race cars since there's factory atvs and snowmobiles that have more horsepower then they do but knock on wood it's worked so far. The g5 work beater still has the original clutch unless it was changed before I bought it. The ram has no noises now so I'm sticking with 0w40 pup with 10oz lubegard every 5k

Batt4Christ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
yes and no.

Oil does "shear down" to lighter weight over time. So it could start as 0W-40 and then shear down to a heavy 0W-30. Lab analysis would show it as a 30w, does FCA then deny based on that? The owner should fight that, especially if they have proof of using 40w to start with.

Sorry, but if an oil is so crappy that it’s shears down that much within the recommended OCI... I’m pretty sure that oil didn’t meet specs.

OR

It wasn’t changed when it needed to be.

Either way- owner’s issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Batt4Christ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
One can use dealer services for all their repair and maintenance.The thing is all that higher costs add up.I could take all those high dollar dealer prices,go somewhere else and pay for a new motor when needed with the savings and not fool with the crooks.Dealers mark up parts so bad.And people want to believe that those parts are so much better.If they are then why do carmakers have so many recalls on those great parts that come on their vehicles? Breaking timing chains,burning alternators and bad waterpumps.Yep,gonna use dealer oem on my truck...they the best. Lol

That’s a LOT of oil changes at $10-15 each in “saving so to buy a new engine when it craps out and isn’t covered because the wrong oil was used in your attempts to save a few bucks.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
And of course nobody is putting that $10 - $15 in the bank to buy the new engine so they get hit with a big expense. Then they become a one post wonder on the Internet to complain FCA screwed them.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry, but if an oil is so crappy that it’s shears down that much within the recommended OCI... I’m pretty sure that oil didn’t meet specs.

OR

It wasn’t changed when it needed to be.

Either way- owner’s issue.

I don't disagree but the point is that a dealer can't automatically assume the viscosity used was incorrect, just based on a uoa.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Octane

Reaction score
That’s a LOT of oil changes at $10-15 each in “saving so to buy a new engine when it craps out and isn’t covered because the wrong oil was used in your attempts to save a few bucks.

You can get or only save $10 on oil changes?

Last edited:

Octane

Reaction score
If the story is true,the dealer is looking for any excuse to deny.And the mechanics know its not the oil itself that caused the failure.If an engine was designed so that a little difference in oil would cause it to "explode" you would have the biggest pos ever built to start with.Get real.If that was the case any additive or change in temp would grenade the engine.Granted,large differences in viscosity can affect vvt etc.But if anyone is ignorant of oil/ engines just use what the carmaker says and stop ocd'ing.lol

Last edited:

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Since the op is long gone. I'll share my 2 cents worth of mobil 1 extended performance. Had my 07 pontiac g5 with the 2.2 for almost 8 years now. Got it with 55k it now has 209k. Wife's 15 outlander sport bought new now has 121k on it. Both vehicles have mostly ran mobil 1 extended performance with 10k oci. When mobil 1 wasn't available I'd get Castrol edge extended performance and run it the same 10k interval. Only happened twice on the g5 and once with the outlander sport. Both motors have never had or have any noises besides the noisy 2.0 mitsubishi injectors. Neither leak or burn any oil. Both obviously aren't high horsepower or race cars since there's factory atvs and snowmobiles that have more horsepower then they do but knock on wood it's worked so far. The g5 work beater still has the original clutch unless it was changed before I bought it. The ram has no noises now so I'm sticking with 0w40 pup with 10oz lubegard every 5k

GM also recommended mobil 1 in the ecotec cars. I had a few Cobalt SS cars. Most of the guys that I know that still have them refuse to run it in them.

Batt4Christ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
You can get or only save $10 on oil changes?

Sigh... the cost of dealership oil change at my local dealer is between $10-15 more than an oil change by a small business independent guy near me.

Or I can buy oil and filter, and do it myself... and the cost difference is not much more.

But nice of you to not read an entire post in its context.

Octane

Reaction score
Sigh... the cost of dealership oil change at my local dealer is between $10-15 more than an oil change by a small business independent guy near me.

Or I can buy oil and filter, and do it myself... and the cost difference is not much more.

But nice of you to not read an entire post in its context.

Nice of you to tell me that your local dealer is 10-15 more than the independent.I change my own oil at less than 25 bucks,and refuse to pay 50 dollars at the independent or the dealer.Sigh...

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
GM also recommended mobil 1 in the ecotec cars. I had a few Cobalt SS cars. Most of the guys that I know that still have them refuse to run it in them.

It's worked good so far for me in those 2 cars but I do think mobil 1 is stuck in the past and hasn't really done anything to make their oil any better in awhile. If I cared about those 2 cars like my ram I probably wouldn't be using it. When my son and I are done restoring our Talon tsi that will not getting mobil 1 either.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's worked good so far for me in those 2 cars but I do think mobil 1 is stuck in the past and hasn't really done anything to make their oil any better in awhile. If I cared about those 2 cars like my ram I probably wouldn't be using it. When my son and I are done restoring our Talon tsi that will not getting mobil 1 either.

Mobil 1 was ahead of its time. It just failed to keep up. I do I have a feeling like Fast and The Furious was sponsored by Mobil 1 lol.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This.

Its probably not a bad oil right now either. But there are better and M1 "cheapened" like the rest of the market as well.

Agreed. I always thought Pennzoil was crap. I still wouldn't personally use it. I watched my dad swear by it for years and years. Thats all he ever ran in my moms vehicles. At around 100k they always sounded like crap. Rattled etc. He always did his own oil changes and it looked like water going in and out. Now fast forward to modern day, it really seems to have stepped up their game. At least in the Synthetic world at least.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im not familiar with the spec for the 6.4L but the spec for the 5.7L oil is basically a joke. It is out-done by most modern API spec oils. But if the manufacturer didnt pay for the license, the spec isnt on the bottle and technically FCA can use it to deny service (assuming they prove oil caused the issue).

Its marketing coming at you from both sides. ANY oil should be just fine in the engine, but FCA makes sure you buy what they have a financial interest in (Shell products)

Bluejoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
WOW IDLE HOURS Your right Batman LOL. So now when you dare to walk into a Dodge dealership they should give you a fact sheet indicating all this **** before making a decision to purchase. It don’t say anything about that in owners manual. How they get off telling someone that excuse.

DaveSharp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For all you owners who show loyalty to the dealer to get your work done, I can tell you as a Chrysler diagnostic tech for quite a few years in one of our largest dealerships, it literally does you no good in most dealers. I've seen warranty denied for just about every stupid reason under the sun including oil changes that were done religiously at the dealer. The young single mothers following every recommended service and in the end it did them no good, warranty denied. Very unhelpful. I'm a firm believer in lawyers now because I've seen so many good customers get the shaft through no fault of their own. Get it writing as to why your warranty is denied and contact a lawyer. Better spending a few hundred bucks on good advice from someone actually qualified to help you. These engines are failing by the boat load even with the recommended oil change interval and recommended factory lubricant and filter.