Clearance on Sport trim level

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cbird02

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am looking to buy a Ram 1500 around 2015-2018. I am in discussions with a seller. It is the sport trim with the black strips and 20" wheels. The contouring at the bottom looks to be lower than other trim levels - I could be totally wrong. I go offroad and pull trailers a lot so I would prefer a trim level that is not lower. Is this just perception or is there some contouring on this trim that brings it lower to the ground? Thx

Dodge.jpg

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
The Sport models are a bit lower than a regular Ram (Bighorn/Tradesman)

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Man that is a sharp looking truck, I really like that color. It looks to sit normal height, I have a ‘18 sport. It sat the exact same height as my buddies Laramie and Bighorn until I did the Bilstein ride height kit set to 2” so this is an option for you to get some more clearance and a way better ride quality over factory.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I am looking to buy a Ram 1500 around 2015-2018. I am in discussions with a seller. It is the sport trim with the black strips and 20" wheels. The contouring at the bottom looks to be lower than other trim levels - I could be totally wrong. I go offroad and pull trailers a lot so I would prefer a trim level that is not lower. Is this just perception or is there some contouring on this trim that brings it lower to the ground? Thx

View attachment 499404
Ask the seller if the truck has been lowered,it looks normal,but pictures can be deceptive

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yeah, they are. My 18 Bighorn was higher in the back and front than my neighbors 17 Laramie Sport. Both 4x4....and his was factory as was mine.
Did you consider tire differances then,as they all use the same springs front and rear.There can be some discrepencies in height do to spring sag over time,but other then that,the trucks all are identical if your comparing same wheelbase trucks.If his truck was an early built 17 and your trucks a later built 18,there can be almost 2 years differance in the age of the trucks,which can mean alot when it comes to spring sag. Did you actually look at the link i posted,the same springs have been used for several years now.Hard to argue part number facts don't you think,lol ;) :rolleyes:

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
So.....you're saying that a truck with one year difference is going to have spring sag?....doesn't say much about the manufacturer if that's the case???....Same tires OEM size. I parked my Bighorn next to my neighbors Laramie Sport, there was a difference in the front and rear height of each vehicle. That's what it was whether or not you believe it. :)

Dylan Campbell

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 4th gen had the sport front bumper. I do not think there is a major clearance difference, but what I would consider if you are off-roading a lot is the fact the bumper is plastic in lieu of steel on other trims like the bighorn. I would off-road regularly with mine, but was lifted 4 inches so never ran into any clearance issues.

Rav3ncroft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2018 4x4 Sport and many others I've seen tend to sit a bit higher than say an Express. But that's typically because the Sports come stock with 20's which means the build sheet includes the line, Raised Ride Height. Which equates to about a 1" lift to accommodate the larger wheels.

There are a lot of variables though for why the heights may very (Air ride for example) but the amount won't be much unless it was lifted or lowered from stock.

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't think my Sport is lower than others. Or the one I had prior to this one.

I would love to level up the front of it but then I'd want a little bit bigger tires which means new wider rims and those suckers are expensive for the ones I've been looking at.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
My 2018 4x4 Sport and many others I've seen tend to sit a bit higher than say an Express. But that's typically because the Sports come stock with 20's which means the build sheet includes the line, Raised Ride Height. Which equates to about a 1" lift to accommodate the larger wheels.

There are a lot of variables though for why the heights may very (Air ride for example) but the amount won't be much unless it was lifted or lowered from stock.
The 1" raised ride height is because of the tires themselves,has nothing to do with the suspension itself.The Sports or any truck factory equipped with the 20's are equipped with a 33" tall tire,while the trucks with 17" rims are factory equipped with a 31" tall tire.The overall tire height differance is 2",but you have factor in only half of that 2" differance actually lifts the truck,consequently you get the 1" raised height differance between a 17" rim equipped truck,and a 20" rim equipped truck.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
So.....you're saying that a truck with one year difference is going to have spring sag?....doesn't say much about the manufacturer if that's the case???....Same tires OEM size. I parked my Bighorn next to my neighbors Laramie Sport, there was a difference in the front and rear height of each vehicle. That's what it was whether or not you believe it. :)
You don't read very well do you. If his truck is an early built 17,which could be Sept 2016,and your truck is a late August 2018 built truck,that's damn near 2 years differance in the 2 trucks age.Throw in the fact,that if he's hauled heavy loads with his truck,and you haven't,his trucks springs are going to be sagged out noticably more then yours will be. Do you want me to draw you a picture,lol.You still want to argue even though the trucks use the same rear springs according to Ma Mopar's parts department,maybe you should wake up and smell the roses,or learn to read better.I don't have much patience for guys like you,who can't see the obvious,so you can carry on,but i'm done trying to point out the obvious to you.

Rav3ncroft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 1" raised ride height is because of the tires themselves,has nothing to do with the suspension itself.The Sports or any truck factory equipped with the 20's are equipped with a 33" tall tire,while the trucks with 17" rims are factory equipped with a 31" tall tire.The overall tire height differance is 2",but you have factor in only half of that 2" differance actually lifts the truck,consequently you get the 1" raised height differance between a 17" rim equipped truck,and a 20" rim equipped truck.
Understood. I didn't mean to imply it was an actual suspension lift.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
I'm not arguing.....you are arguing. You are trying to tell me that springs are sagged because of imaginary loads that you are assuming my neighbor's truck may or may not have carried...LOL. And how do you know what year the truck I used to have was built? Another assumption. Neighbor never carried anything heavier than a composite canoe or a couple of bags of mulch....I've towed my travel trailer and hauled different loads of wood. I can read fine, what you are trying to say is based off of assumptions that you made. All I said is what I observed based off of a comparison to my neighbor's Laramie Sport and the Bighorn I used to own. You're the one with a$$ ache about it. I was just pointing out what I observed. The sideways insults are a nice touch though.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'm not arguing.....you are arguing. You are trying to tell me that springs are sagged because of imaginary loads that you are assuming my neighbor's truck may or may not have carried...LOL. And how do you know what year the truck I used to have was built? Another assumption. Neighbor never carried anything heavier than a composite canoe or a couple of bags of mulch....I've towed my travel trailer and hauled different loads of wood. I can read fine, what you are trying to say is based off of assumptions that you made. All I said is what I observed based off of a comparison to my neighbor's Laramie Sport and the Bighorn I used to own. You're the one with a$$ ache about it. I was just pointing out what I observed. The sideways insults are a nice touch though.
Pretty easy to know the year,you stated your truck was an 18 and his was a 17,all i stated was the 2 trucks could be almost 2 years apart,depending on what month they were built in.Little tidbit for you ,they don't build every 2017 in the same month or nessarily the same year,and that goes for your 2018 to.The year generally starts about Sept and ends the following year,usually around mid Aug,although they have been known to run longer. Ie: my 2014 Sport has a build date of Sept 2014,so techinically it should be a 2015,but it's listed as a 2014.Another one where you clearly aren't understanding what you're reading,lol. I'm not the only one on this thread,telling you the Sports don't generally sit lower then the other truck trims do.Sure there can be some descrepencies,but you're claiming all Sports sit lower then say a Bighorn,and in that regard you're wrong.Your basing your assumptions off one example,which isn't going to give you the correct assumption.Just because your neighbours truck,which could be upwards of 2 years older,sat lower,doesn't mean they all sit that way.If you'd actually look at the link i posted,your truck and his truck use the identical springs,that should clue you into the fact,they generally sit roughly the same height when they leave the factory.Time and weight carried etc. can and will make a differance in their heights,but to generally claim all Sports sit lower is wrong. If both trucks leave the factory with the same springs i'd like to hear your theory on how the Sports sit lower,entertain me and lets hear your theory.Seeing as how you refuse to check the link,i copied this off it for you.You'll note your 2018 Bighorn,and his 2017 Sport use the same springs

2018Ram1500Big Horn, Express, Laramie, Laramie Longhorn, Limited, Lone Star, Rebel, SLT, Special Service, Sport, Tradesman3.0L V6 - Diesel, 3.6L V6 - Flex, 5.7L V8 - Gas
2017Ram1500Big Horn, Express, Laramie, Laramie Longhorn, Limited, Lone Star, Rebel, SLT, Special Service, Sport, Tradesman3.0L V6 - Diesel, 3.6L V6 - Flex, 5.7L V8 - Gas

Last edited:

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The raised ride height has nothing to do with the tires. It's an option that can be selected and is standard on some trims (outdoorsman, rebel, warlock) and ride height is increased via the struts/springs. The only options were standard ride height and raised. My 2016 outdoorsman sat noticeably taller than a stock standard bighorn and both had the same 275/60r20.

As for the original question, I don't believe there is an option for lowered ride height other than on trucks with air ride. Your only 2 options were standard or raised. Chances are, that truck is standard ride height some trims may have a taller air dam in the front that may make the front look lower.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The raised ride height has nothing to do with the tires. It's an option that can be selected and is standard on some trims (outdoorsman, rebel, warlock) and ride height is increased via the struts/springs. The only options were standard ride height and raised. My 2016 outdoorsman sat noticeably taller than a stock standard bighorn and both had the same 275/60r20.

As for the original question, I don't believe there is an option for lowered ride height other than on trucks with air ride. Your only 2 options were standard or raised. Chances are, that truck is standard ride height some trims may have a taller air dam in the front that may make the front look lower.
Check the fitment and part numbers,same spring .The raised ride height is because of the tires,as my 2014 regular cab shortbox 2014 4X4 also had the raised ride height,and was the same height as every other 4X4 with 20" rims.Find something that proves me wrong,like part numbers,not hear say or what you think you observed

2020Ram1500 ClassicExpress, SLT, Special Service, Tradesman, Warlock3.6L V6 - Flex, 5.7L V8 - Gas
2019Ram1500 ClassicBig Horn, Express, Laramie, Lone Star, Special Service, Tradesman, Warlock3.0L V6 - Diesel, 3.6L V6 - Flex, 5.7L V8 - Gas
2018Ram1500Big Horn, Express, Laramie, Laramie Longhorn, Limited, Lone Star, Rebel, SLT, Special Service, Sport, Tradesman3.0L V6 - Diesel, 3.6L V6 - Flex, 5.7L V8 - Gas
2017Ram1500Big Horn, Express, HFE, Laramie, Laramie Longhorn, Limited, Lone Star, Rebel, SLT, Special Service, Sport, Tradesman3.0L V6 - Diesel, 3.6L V6 - Flex, 5.7L V8 - Gas
2016Ram1500Big Horn, Express, HFE, Laramie, Laramie Longhorn, Limited, Lone Star, Outdoorsman, Rebel, SLT, Special Service, Sport, Tradesman3.0L V6 - Diesel, 3.6L V6 - Flex, 5.7L V8 - Gas

2017Ram1500Big Horn, Express, HFE, Laramie, Laramie Longhorn, Limited, Lone Star, Rebel, SLT, Special Service, Sport, Tradesman3.0L V6 - Diesel, 3.6L V6 - Flex, 5.7L V8 - Gas

Last edited:

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Check the fitment and part numbers,same spring .The raised ride height is because of the tires,as my 2014 regular cab shortbox 2014 4X4 also had the raised ride height,and was the same height as every other 4X4.Find something that proves me wrong,like part numbers,not hear say or what you think you observed

2020Ram1500 ClassicExpress, SLT, Special Service, Tradesman, Warlock3.6L V6 - Flex, 5.7L V8 - Gas
2019Ram1500 ClassicBig Horn, Express, Laramie, Lone Star, Special Service, Tradesman, Warlock3.0L V6 - Diesel, 3.6L V6 - Flex, 5.7L V8 - Gas
2016Ram1500Big Horn, Express, HFE, Laramie, Laramie Longhorn, Limited, Lone Star, Outdoorsman, Rebel, SLT, Special Service, Sport, Tradesman3.0L V6 - Diesel, 3.6L V6 - Flex, 5.7L V8 - Gas

It's well documented that trucks with raised ride height have a small lift via the struts or springs. Hence a 3 leveling strut installed on an outdoorsman or rebel will only net a total increase of 2" on those trucks. I had an outdoorsman, my buddy has a bighorn, and I currently have a bighorn. My outdoorsman sat about 1" taller than either one in the front with the same size 20" oem tires. Fun fact, the rebel comes with 17" tires, the outdoorsman is standard with 265/70/17 tires and comes with the raised ride height. That parts list you posted isn't wrong as those parts will fit all non-air ride trucks. However, there's a ton of different coil spring options, not 3 or 4. I can positively say that ride height isn't because of tire size. Otherwise lift companies wouldn't have disclaimers about the ball joint angles specifically targeting rebels, trx4, outdoorsman and other trucks with raise ride height.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
It's well documented that trucks with raised ride height have a small lift via the struts or springs. Hence a 3 leveling strut installed on an outdoorsman or rebel will only net a total increase of 2" on those trucks. I had an outdoorsman, my buddy has a bighorn, and I currently have a bighorn. My outdoorsman sat about 1" taller than either one in the front with the same size 20" oem tires. Fun fact, the rebel comes with 17" tires, the outdoorsman is standard with 265/70/17 tires and comes with the raised ride height. That parts list you posted isn't wrong as those parts will fit all non-air ride trucks. However, there's a ton of different coil spring options, not 3 or 4. I can positively say that ride height isn't because of tire size. Otherwise lift companies wouldn't have disclaimers about the ball joint angles specifically targeting rebels, trx4, outdoorsman and other trucks with raise ride height.
Factory part numbers ,find them.Otherwise it's nothing more then a rumour or whatever you think you know.If there's a ton of spring options,you better clue in the dealers then,as they aren't showing them in their parts books.

Last edited: