Cold start weak battery sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ToxicFire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys so my 14 1500 sport I've notice and didn't think it didnit before but who knows.

So when I first start truck in the morning it will crank sounds good then just before it fires up it sounds like a weak battery as it almost stops cranking then fires up.

Its been doing this for a month or so and now that its getting colder I thought I would just change the battery. (Think it's originally first digit is a 4)

Put a brand new 790cca battery in it and first charged it fully before connecting to truck and went to start truck and same thing.

Crank seems good then almost stops then fires right up.

Bad thing normal thing or something simple?

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
Quite a few things would cause weak start up. Eliminating the battery definitely helped.

Ill start with some of the easy stuff

Engine oil:
Not sure how cold it is there but thick oil viscosity will be like swimming in a pool of honey, very hard for the engine to start moving under its own power

Vacuum leaks:
Unmetered air will throw off the mix. Its probably not a huge leak, just big enough for the negative pressure to close it up once its got full vacuum being produced. I would check the intake boot for cracks and while your in there clean the intake pressure sensor. It will be right above the throttle body. Regular MAF sensor cleaner will work. If the intake boot looks good than i would extend that search to the rest of the vac system

Fuel filter:
I havent touched or even aware of the location of the fuel filter on our trucks but a dirty filter could cause slow pressure buildup to the fuel rails

Couple things to look at

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Hey guys so my 14 1500 sport I've notice and didn't think it didnit before but who knows.

So when I first start truck in the morning it will crank sounds good then just before it fires up it sounds like a weak battery as it almost stops cranking then fires up.

Its been doing this for a month or so and now that its getting colder I thought I would just change the battery. (Think it's originally first digit is a 4)

Put a brand new 790cca battery in it and first charged it fully before connecting to truck and went to start truck and same thing.

Crank seems good then almost stops then fires right up.

Bad thing normal thing or something simple?

Starter if battery & cables have a good clean connection.......you are saying cranking or spinning over engine slows down like weak battery before it starts right?
About how long does it take for engine to start?

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
Starter if battery & cables have a good clean connection.......you are saying cranking or spinning over engine slows down like weak battery before it starts right?
About how long does it take for engine to start?

He says it cranks real healthy, its the point between starting under its own power and full idle that hes having issues. I believe

OP
OP
ToxicFire

ToxicFire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will try and get a video this morning when I go and start it up.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Nothing to worry about there.......my 2014 does this also when 1st started when cold only......its cammed with a dyno tune.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Since it is new, I would look into getting it back to what it was, couldn't hurt.

Check everything, throttle body, air filter, PCV, vacuum, injector cleaner, how about plugs how old are they? Run a cleaner si-1 through, an entire bottle. Gas air and spark, go back to basics check everything some day when you get man time in the garage. Start it once without air filter.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Now, you do have a tick there but it goes away, I know you are now on redline 5w20. How was that tick compared to 5w30 redline versus 5w20 redline? How about whatever oil you were on before the redlines? Tick always been the same whatever oil in there?

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
Thats more of a hiccup and i think its normal in cold weather. Something about cold air, cold fuel, cold cylinders and the initial flashpoint of the fuel but im not too learned on the subject

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Could be for sure, but your truck is supposed to use it's sensors to add more air when the air is cold, or if it warm air I forget, but the truck is supposed to self fix this.

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2012s been doing this for about 3 or 4 weeks. Cant figure it out. New battery, oils changed and full, no vac leaks, starters good, timp checked out, plugs all look fine, TB is clean, MAP sensor is new, all o2 sensors are ok... if you figure it out keep ua posted

My next move is 0w-30 redline

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ToxicFire

ToxicFire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So truck has 85,000km on it and has a new aem dry drop in filter. Always premium fuel and i bought the truck in the spring and put the redline 5w30 in it right away, so cant comment on other oils. and now the redline 5w20.

See i thought the engine noise was normal as all my buddies are very loud ticking haha.
So i find the noise is a bit less now on the redline 5w20 then the 5w30 for some reason.

Also last week it was plus 30 here and it was doing the same thing on a cold start.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Did this start as soon as you changed the air filter?

I don't see oil has any hand in this, it sounds like something even before or soon after crank. Seams more immediate then a thick oil restriction. Gas air spark, I am leaning towards air for some reason.

Start it w/o air filter once, and clean throttle body or did you already? Maybe bad o2 sensor. just tossing stuff at wall. Fuel pressure at startup, maybe leakdown?

There is an exercise where if you push pedal to floor before starting it will crank but not start, I believe this is to correct flooding? Just thinking out loud, why not try this next morning start just for 15 seconds- then turn off and see if this hesitation happens when you start it up again. If it is lack of air, this might help figure it out, dunno. Still tossing at the wall, thoughts?

Last edited:
OP
OP
ToxicFire

ToxicFire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did this start as soon as you changed the air filter?

I don't see oil has any hand in this, it sounds like something even before or soon after crank. Seams more immediate then a thick oil restriction. Gas air spark, I am leaning towards air for some reason.
No i put the drop in filter when i bought the truck.
So it's been sitting all day and it's currently 15c outside and it just did the same thing but I left it run for a few minutes shut it off went out 10 minutes later and it fired up normal no hiccup at all.

Just when it sits for a few hours I find it does that. Thats why I thought it was a battery issue. Sure wish it was lol.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So the only way it would be battery is if something is sapping the charge, in theory probably still in play. Something is lacking at that hiccup, if it were me I'd try everything, because that would bug the **** out of me eventhough it is a minor thing.

OP
OP
ToxicFire

ToxicFire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So the only way it would be battery is if something is sapping the charge, in theory probably still in play. Something is lacking at that hiccup, if it were me I'd try everything, because that would bug the **** out of me eventhough it is a minor thing.
See i put a brand new fully charged battery in truck in the morning and started it and it did the exact same thing so can't be battery.

I'm ocd and everything bugs me with things like this haha.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
No, you didn't put the new battery in the morning right? So it could still be battery, in theory. If something is sapping charge, new battery wouldn't matter, and with ram TIPM's who knows. However, if it was this I would expect it to get worse faster, so maybe you right. Awe I see you did put it in morning, and if you ask me this is good news anyhow, I would rather it be something else then TIPM or short sapping something.

ChevySlayer69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
This condition where it cranks pauses cranks for a split second then starts is common. My truck does it on 89 octane summer blend gas. I tried switching octane and 87 works year round for me. I know it sounds stupid but give it a try.

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Gas and Burla is right. Check the battery at night, if its full disconnect it till the AM. If it fires up you got a draw... fuel relay on the TIPM is pretty common. So common they make a bypass cable to prevent having to replace the entire unit. (Fuel relay is soldered to the board).

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk