Cold start weak battery sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What about installing a check valve in the line right after the tank.. Ive been debating that too.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Or maybe just replace the fuel pump? could try a check valve tho.

I am going to take a vid of mine starting in morning then you guys will really see you have nothing to worry about lmaoo.

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Or maybe just replace the fuel pump? could try a check valve tho.

I am going to take a vid of mine starting in morning then you guys will really see you have nothing to worry about lmaoo.
Fuel pumps like 900 installed... check valves 6 bucks :) Im cheap.

OP
OP
ToxicFire

ToxicFire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So last night around 12am i went out and tried the turn on let it prime then shut off wait then turn on and start but still same hiccup.

This afternoon today i just went out and pulled the air filter and tried starting without it and the exact same no change at all.

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So last night around 12am i went out and tried the turn on let it prime then shut off wait then turn on and start but still same hiccup.

This afternoon today i just went out and pulled the air filter and tried starting without it and the exact same no change at all.
Sux right? It doesnt matter, but makes ya uneasy like it might not start when you need it to.

OP
OP
ToxicFire

ToxicFire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sux right? It doesnt matter, but makes ya uneasy like it might not start when you need it to.

Sure does. The colder weathers going to be here our nice -30 to -40c haha so sure hope the cold makes no difference but hopefully I get it figured out soon.

I saw another thread with a similar starting issue like ours and they changed the evap purve valve under the hood.
Its like a cheaper part and seems easy to change. Not sure if that would fix it or not. Don't want to order it for nothing though.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sure does. The colder weathers going to be here our nice -30 to -40c haha so sure hope the cold makes no difference but hopefully I get it figured out soon.

I saw another thread with a similar starting issue like ours and they changed the evap purve valve under the hood.
Its like a cheaper part and seems easy to change. Not sure if that would fix it or not. Don't want to order it for nothing though.

I saw a few videos on that, but it usually throws a code when its that.

OP
OP
ToxicFire

ToxicFire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I saw a few videos on that, but it usually throws a code when its that.

Yea thats the thing I have no codes.

I did notice also also the start today rpms went up it it studdered some then rpms went to normal.

Frustrating.. i was talking to. Buddy he said his 15 did the exact same thing and after 4 dealer visits he traded the truck in he didn't want to figure it out haha

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea thats the thing I have no codes.

I did notice also also the start today rpms went up it it studdered some then rpms went to normal.

Frustrating.. i was talking to. Buddy he said his 15 did the exact same thing and after 4 dealer visits he traded the truck in he didn't want to figure it out haha

Sounds about the same. Ive been to 2 shops.. havent tried the dealer. If I ever figure it out I will post it.

Hemi 808

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2015 does this too. First noticed this, maybe 2 months ago. Thought it might be a weak battery since the truck only gets driven on the weekends. Wasn't too concerned about it, as it always started. However, if there is a solution, I would like to get this resolved. Will be following this thread.

haydene94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It seems like a very common quirk for the 5.7. My 2014 has done this same cold start studder as yours since it was brand new. We used to have a 07 Grand Cherokee and an 07 Charger, they both had the 5.7 and they both did the exact same thing. I've never been able to figure out exactly why it does it, but its never caused any other issues.

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've heard the same thing, but my 2012 actually just started doing it about a month ago. Super strange, but ya so far it eventually fires everytime.

duneop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine did this many moons ago. I thought it was a weak battery. Replaced the battery and there is a whole thread about how my Ram then thought it was half diesel and half jeep liberty or something. Long story short, replacing the TIPM fixed all of these issues. Shes on her third TIPM now. Not bad for an 09 1500.
I'd suggest scanning it with a tool that works well for the Rams. After replacing a head gasket on mine I found it very sluggish to accelerate. It was a VVT error caused by a plug on the wiring harness after they took off the head. It didn't throw a code that turned the check engine light on. And you wouldn't have seen it with the average code reader.

mtwofeathers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 5.9
Hey guys so my 14 1500 sport I've notice and didn't think it didnit before but who knows.

So when I first start truck in the morning it will crank sounds good then just before it fires up it sounds like a weak battery as it almost stops cranking then fires up.

Its been doing this for a month or so and now that its getting colder I thought I would just change the battery. (Think it's originally first digit is a 4)

Put a brand new 790cca battery in it and first charged it fully before connecting to truck and went to start truck and same thing.

Crank seems good then almost stops then fires right up.

Bad thing normal thing or something simple?

You can test the fuel and starter easy enough, i would do that to eliminate those two. It could be the computer is loading limp mode while cranking. Or even a test going bad, or vacumm leak. So many little thing electrically to look at. You can take it down and get a print out to see if anything shows up. Fortunately its new enough that the computer has more info to share with you. But eliminating the basics to me is what comes first and no special tools or experience needed.

Test the starter first.

Test fuel next.
If no gauge, cycle the fuel pump a few times by jogging the starter and leaving key on each time. This lets pressure build up in the line. If it fixes issue, then on a dodge hemi the antidrain back valve is dead, or filter plugged or pump is weak.

With a gauge at the rail it should be between 40-50psi but not above that. After shutdown the pressure should drop a little but not flat quickly.

Those are the basics things you can do. Up the line a computer hooked into the system while running or starting will give you every sensor data available.

mtwofeathers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 5.9
Quite a few things would cause weak start up. Eliminating the battery definitely helped.

Ill start with some of the easy stuff

Engine oil:
Not sure how cold it is there but thick oil viscosity will be like swimming in a pool of honey, very hard for the engine to start moving under its own power

Vacuum leaks:
Unmetered air will throw off the mix. Its probably not a huge leak, just big enough for the negative pressure to close it up once its got full vacuum being produced. I would check the intake boot for cracks and while your in there clean the intake pressure sensor. It will be right above the throttle body. Regular MAF sensor cleaner will work. If the intake boot looks good than i would extend that search to the rest of the vac system

Fuel filter:
I havent touched or even aware of the location of the fuel filter on our trucks but a dirty filter could cause slow pressure buildup to the fuel rails

Couple things to look at

Fuel filter is just a screen at bottom of fuel pump assembly in the tank unfortunately. They can be plugged but pretty rarely. The way a dodge system is using plastic lines, wouldn't be hard to add one on the rail.

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine did this many moons ago. I thought it was a weak battery. Replaced the battery and there is a whole thread about how my Ram then thought it was half diesel and half jeep liberty or something. Long story short, replacing the TIPM fixed all of these issues. Shes on her third TIPM now. Not bad for an 09 1500.
I'd suggest scanning it with a tool that works well for the Rams. After replacing a head gasket on mine I found it very sluggish to accelerate. It was a VVT error caused by a plug on the wiring harness after they took off the head. It didn't throw a code that turned the check engine light on. And you wouldn't have seen it with the average code reader.

I tried the fuel pump bypass trick but might look into this. How much was it to replace it?

MMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When my 2014 sounded weak starting last year, I replaced the battery just before winter.
I wasn't going to get stuck again with another bad battery like my last truck.
Bought the AGM for like $130 after sale price, rebates, etc.

OP
OP
ToxicFire

ToxicFire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your wife drives your truck?
I was taking her car to shop for a few things.

However we both have same year rams just different colors haha.
Hers not insured as with covid we didn't need 4 vehicles all insured while waiting to go back to work.

We live in country middle of nowhere and get horrible snow so trucks get us threw it all.

OP
OP
ToxicFire

ToxicFire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When my 2014 sounded weak starting last year, I replaced the battery just before winter.
I wasn't going to get stuck again with another bad battery like my last truck.
Bought the AGM for like $130 after sale price, rebates, etc.
Thats what I was hoping an easy battery replacement would fix it but no such luck.