Cold start weak battery sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CanadianRam2008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys so my 14 1500 sport I've notice and didn't think it didnit before but who knows.

So when I first start truck in the morning it will crank sounds good then just before it fires up it sounds like a weak battery as it almost stops cranking then fires up.

Its been doing this for a month or so and now that its getting colder I thought I would just change the battery. (Think it's originally first digit is a 4)

Put a brand new 790cca battery in it and first charged it fully before connecting to truck and went to start truck and same thing.

Crank seems good then almost stops then fires right up.

Bad thing normal thing or something simple?

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Hey, so this seems similar to what I was experiencing around Feb. I have a 15’ Ram 1500 Sport with about 115,000kms at the time this happened. My truck did the same thing for about 2 weeks and then it wouldn’t start but would crank over. Tested the battery and was a little low on the cranking amps but didn’t think it was low enough to not start the truck. Bought a new battery anyway and that wasn’t the issue lol. Back to the drawing board. Spent the next 2 days researching and going over everything it could possibly be and it turned out to be the fuel pressure sensor crapped out. $100 part from the dealer and a 30 min fix.

CanadianRam2008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For anyone having this issue, check your fuel pressure sensor. This happened to me for about 2 weeks and then my truck wouldn’t start. Tried everything mentioned here. Tested battery and replaced it, checked plugs, vac leaks, everything I could think of and it turned out being crappy fuel pressure sensor.

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For anyone having this issue, check your fuel pressure sensor. This happened to me for about 2 weeks and then my truck wouldn’t start. Tried everything mentioned here. Tested battery and replaced it, checked plugs, vac leaks, everything I could think of and it turned out being crappy fuel pressure sensor.
No codes? And it only happened in the AMs?

I might check it out, thanks!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Hemimania

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was taking her car to shop for a few things.

However we both have same year rams just different colors haha.
Hers not insured as with covid we didn't need 4 vehicles all insured while waiting to go back to work.

We live in country middle of nowhere and get horrible snow so trucks get us threw it all.

Cool. My wife refuses to drive mine and then says "you don't want me to drive it anyway."

bryanj1025

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My 12 and 14 both do it nothing to worry about. It sounds sick with a exhaust

OP
OP
ToxicFire

ToxicFire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does it do this when it is cold and you do not use the remote start?
With remote and without. Morning and or evening.
Warm outside or a bit cool.
Just always if it's sat a few hours.

Tunaman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not trying to be a wise guy but seriously, I'd wait for a real problem before I started worrying so much....

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not trying to be a wise guy but seriously, I'd wait for a real problem before I started worrying so much....

The fact that it didn't come from the factory like that and all of a sudden started happening after 8 years for me seems like an issue. The video doesn't do it justice it actually sounds like it will stall out or the battery will die while its trying to fire up.

CanadianRam2008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No codes? And it only happened in the AMs?

I might check it out, thanks!

No codes until it died. And no, would happen everytime it sat for more than like 4 hours. Which was usually in the am. After it died it threw the P0441 code or whatever it is for evap emissions.

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
I breezed over all the posts and i didnt see anyone mention or ask what octane rating you use. I saw that you mentioned you use premium gas, did you mean top teir gas or high octane gas? Because high octane requires more energy to ignite and although it idles fine, that initial spark flash may not be up to ***** to fully ignite for an even burn. Uneven burning would put stress on a piston on its way down for the powerstroke.

Imagine someone getting a clean right hook to the head in slow motion, the head moves and the face has to catch up. Thats the best way i can describe it anyway

Well cars can now detect knock etc more efficiently now and can adjust spark timing for it.

This is where i believe your hiccup is occuring, the time between the first uneven burn and the adjustment of the spark timing. If the uneven burning is corrected once the engine finds its rhythm it will adjust back for efficiency and you wont even notice. Otherwise i believe it would throw a code

I maybe way off but if the fix is as simple as filling up with midgrade, while its cold out i would give it a shot.

high octane is the cause of many problems for people. They hear it burns hotter and it cleans the carbon and makes the engine run better etc. high octane is designed FOR high performance engines, it dosnt MAKE an engine high performance.

OP
OP
ToxicFire

ToxicFire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I breezed over all the posts and i didnt see anyone mention or ask what octane rating you use. I saw that you mentioned you use premium gas, did you mean top teir gas or high octane gas? Because high octane requires more energy to ignite and although it idles fine, that initial spark flash may not be up to ***** to fully ignite for an even burn. Uneven burning would put stress on a piston on its way down for the powerstroke.

Imagine someone getting a clean right hook to the head in slow motion, the head moves and the face has to catch up. Thats the best way i can describe it anyway

Well cars can now detect knock etc more efficiently now and can adjust spark timing for it.

This is where i believe your hiccup is occuring, the time between the first uneven burn and the adjustment of the spark timing. If the uneven burning is corrected once the engine finds its rhythm it will adjust back for efficiency and you wont even notice. Otherwise i believe it would throw a code

I maybe way off but if the fix is as simple as filling up with midgrade, while its cold out i would give it a shot.

high octane is the cause of many problems for people. They hear it burns hotter and it cleans the carbon and makes the engine run better etc. high octane is designed FOR high performance engines, it dosnt MAKE an engine high performance.
So I run 91 octane no ethenal or how ever you spell it from shell v power.

I've also run 87 regular with 10% E and there was no starting difference i just notice I get better millage running the 91 and thought cleaner and no added E was a good thing.

If it makes no difference then ill save the 20 cents a liter extra it costs for the 91 lol.

I will give mid grade 89 a try on next fill up.

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interesting... I run 93, but with a tune for 93 for about 5 years now. Will give it a try, probably unrealted but havent had the issue in a week after changing the PCV valve. Although, I wonder if they have already changed the gas for winter blend ...

Last edited:

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
A quote from another Ram forum

Interesting it seems to be a more common issue than I predicted. My truck has just started doing this since I always start it by hand and turn the key and let it sit before cranking. I went to the local dealer they said it was normal so I asked for 7 keys to new trucks 4 out of the 7 did this. Kind of a weird thing but I mean if new vehicles with zero km on them are doing it then it must be normal. Thanks everyone. If anything changes ill post an update. Cheers

Kjz3Ro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Whelp guys I got a new symptom yesterday.. Truck barely started then idled up to 2500rpm, check engine light popped on and I got a “maintenance electric throttle“ pop up on my dash.. It would not idle back down and it wouldn’t respond when I hit the gas pedal.. I shut it off and started it back up and it idled down after the enrichment cycle but the check engine light is still on.. It did the same thing again this morning..

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Whelp guys I got a new symptom yesterday.. Truck barely started then idled up to 2500rpm, check engine light popped on and I got a “maintenance electric throttle“ pop up on my dash.. It would not idle back down and it wouldn’t respond when I hit the gas pedal.. I shut it off and started it back up and it idled down after the enrichment cycle but the check engine light is still on.. It did the same thing again this morning..
You have a Pedal Commander or similar device install?
Or cleaned the throttle body?

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
I have a pulsar installed but no I haven’t cleaned the throttle body yet..
I asked about TB cleaning because sometimes cleaning fluid can get by butterfly shaft & damage electrical motor so rule that out.
Best to remove Pulsar & rule that out.