Condensation in between head liner and roof

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dan l

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Noticed water running down the entire length of windshield the other day, and then after a couple hour drive when the cab warmed up water dripping from the rear window track and from the drivers front handle on the pillar. I pulled the third brake light to find the entire roof is like an ice cave ceiling. Full of hundreds of frozen water droplets hanging from the metal ceiling like a pole barn roof.

we have had some very warm daytime temps this winter here in the U.P. With the nights dipping back to the single digest and teens.

I would hope the weather is to blame? I do leave my truck parked outside.

this definitely is not a cab light or brake light leak. It’s a condensation issue.

3F7EAAC7-3775-47AA-8F69-3359BA80935B.jpeg

7482E159-758E-4551-B5FC-D12FDA0AAB9D.jpeg

80717C35-C101-4224-A4E5-A2390328B9B7.jpeg

26F880D0-7D2B-49AC-8C51-FFEB655A6A30.jpeg

Last edited:

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
It's a leak, known issue...please use the search function.

OP
OP
Dan l

Dan l

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's a leak, known issue...please use the search function.

Wish it was that easy.. it’s not a leak. The entire roof is covered with water from front to back. I pulled the headliner today to confirm this. Thanks for the great answer tho.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Let’s attack it this way... you have the headliner out so dry it off well and ensure no moisture remains. Douse the cab from every angle with the hose and check for leaks. If none appear it may very well not be a leak but rather a venting issue.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You have a warranty for your truck us it. This IS NOT NORMAL you have water intrusion from somewhere. Sunroof , roof seams , sliding rear window , sunroof or rear window drains ,rear window seal ,third brake light , antenna on roof , front windshield gasket , rear cabin wall exhaust vents . Here are a few places to check. Take it to the dealer,you paid for your warranty. Look at your rear carpet , check the floor boxes for water.

OP
OP
Dan l

Dan l

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You have a warranty for your truck us it. This IS NOT NORMAL you have water intrusion from somewhere. Sunroof , roof seams , sliding rear window , sunroof or rear window drains ,rear window seal ,third brake light , antenna on roof , front windshield gasket , rear cabin wall exhaust vents . Here are a few places to check. Take it to the dealer,you paid for your warranty. Look at your rear carpet , check the floor boxes for water.

Thanks for the ideas. This is definitely a frost\ condensation issue. I’ll check the cabin vents out to make sure there venting out air. I’m not comfortable with the dealer as they point to the 3rd brake light. They also said to keep the roof clear of snow and ice. We live in the snow belt so that’s not practical.

OP
OP
Dan l

Dan l

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Let’s attack it this way... you have the headliner out so dry it off well and ensure no moisture remains. Douse the cab from every angle with the hose and check for leaks. If none appear it may very well not be a leak but rather a venting issue.

Yup, it never leaks from washing or rain. It’s only with temperature changes.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I forgot to mention the air conditioning condensate drain may be clogged.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Check under you carpeting to see if you have any wetness, the roof sweating list an indication of excess moisture in the cab.
Check the cab pressure vents that are on the back wall of the cab behind the seats, there have been several reports of those leaking.

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
It is that easy, it's under warranty, take to a dealer. It shouldn't be doing that that, whether it's a leak or not. The search function will bring up old posts with others that had similar problems (third brake light leak), may not be the same problems, but may give you ideas on what to look for. Appears dealer pointed toward the third brake light which is a known issue, why not let them change gasket under warranty and see if the problem is resolve, you have nothing to lose? FYI, notice my eddy, I don't keep my roof clear of snow and ice and it doesn't leak or condensate, so that's not the problem, but I think you all ready knew that was a lame answer from the dealer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dan l

Dan l

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check under you carpeting to see if you have any wetness, the roof sweating list an indication of excess moisture in the cab.
Check the cab pressure vents that are on the back wall of the cab behind the seats, there have been several reports of those leaking.

My carpets are dry, I checked this morning.

i think I narrowed it down to the rear cab vents. I had a lot of ice and snow buildup over the month of December. I believe this stopped the vents from opening and created a lot of moisture in the cab on our many trips with 4-5 people in the truck. The vents are clear now has the weather has been very mild for this time of year.

OP
OP
Dan l

Dan l

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is that easy, it's under warranty, take to a dealer. It shouldn't be doing that that, whether it's a leak or not. The search function will bring up old posts with others that had similar problems (third brake light leak), may not be the same problems, but may give you ideas on what to look for. Appears dealer pointed toward the third brake light which is a known issue, why not let them change gasket under warranty and see if the problem is resolve, you have nothing to lose? FYI, notice my eddy, I don't keep my roof clear of snow and ice and it doesn't leak or condensate, so that's not the problem, but I think you all ready knew that was a lame answer from the dealer.

I’m trying to stay away from dealer trips as I’ve been waiting for the remote start lock out issue we all have been having with the 2020 Rams.
That said, I agree with you about the snow build up on the roof. That’s something that has been around since I started driving at least 6-7 months a year here.
I think I narrowed it down to ice/snow build up between the cab and box last month. This in return would block my rear cab vents causing moisture in the cab from our road trips.