Coolant troubles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NHDuckHunter8003

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 5.9
Once again I have succeeded in turning a 20 minute project into a day long affair. I just got a 180* stat and when I checked the coolant it was green. Yay. So I am in the process of getting all that crap out of my truck now. So far the best way I have found is to drain the radiator. Run the truck until its warm enough for the stat to kick on. Shut it off and drain the radiator again. Fill her up with water. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. If someone knows a more efficient way please enlighten me for I am troubled.

Thanks in advance,
Kyle

HolyRamBatman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Once again I have succeeded in turning a 20 minute project into a day long affair. I just got a 180* stat and when I checked the coolant it was green. Yay. So I am in the process of getting all that crap out of my truck now. So far the best way I have found is to drain the radiator. Run the truck until its warm enough for the stat to kick on. Shut it off and drain the radiator again. Fill her up with water. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. If someone knows a more efficient way please enlighten me for I am troubled.

Thanks in advance,
Kyle

It only gets easier if you have someone else do it.
What color was your coolant when you put it in?
Most are green.

OP
OP
N

NHDuckHunter8003

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 5.9
Yeah that's what figured. I'm just plugging along at it. The coolant was green and this is the first time I've checked it since I bought its few months ago.

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Remove block plug, open radiator drain - apply low air pressure to system (coolant system testers are great for this) - remove all coolant?

Works for me.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
The Mopar coolant is redish orange, NOT DEXCOOL. Wanna make sure you get a H.O.A.T style, the dealerships sell it in a gallon jug.

OP
OP
N

NHDuckHunter8003

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 5.9
The dealership was chargin $24 for a gallon of the molar stuff so I went to napa and got the zerex g05 that a lot of guys recommended on here for $12 I think.

SilsHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The dealership was chargin $24 for a gallon of the molar stuff so I went to napa and got the zerex g05 that a lot of guys recommended on here for $12 I think.

The Zerex G05 is HOAT, so you're good.