Creaking sound inside when turning or wiggling in seat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

staying_tuned

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Howdy folks, I recently purchased a used 14 CC and love everything about it but there is this creaking sound that I can't track down. The odd thing is I can trigger it a few different ways.

1. If I rock hard side to side on the seat it happens.
2. If (while shut off) I turn the wheel back and forth it happens.
3. This is where the annoyance factor comes in - every time I turn it happens.

I initially thought it was the seat so I tightened the 4 mounting points and that changed nothing. That's when I realized it was coming from what seems to be an area behind the key/start assembly. I thought maybe the steering column (after finding a video from another member) only to realize that unlike his column, I don't have a 2-piece connector from the main column to the steering wheel.

Here is a video I recorded a few minutes ago. In the video I'm just rocking the steering wheel back and forth. When on and power steering is fired up, it doesn't happen unless I'm actually turning and the weight of the truck shifts.

Any ideas what this could be?

OP
OP
staying_tuned

staying_tuned

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok I was able to confirm that it's coming from inside the truck. I had my wife rock the steering wheel back and forth while I was outside and I could hear it behind the firewall (while head under hood).

OP
OP
staying_tuned

staying_tuned

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For anyone that experiences the same thing, I ended up finding it after stumbling upon another post. It was this specific bolt which was hidden behind the bottom center console plastic trim piece on the drivers side portion. I think because of the plastic piece, it threw the sound making it seem like it was coming from the steering assembly. I've got the bench seat up front.

Backed it out and hit it with some loctite before tightening down good. Here is a photo of the actual bolt that was causing all that racket.

wvfAWde.jpg

Neon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've got a buzz behind the RAM emblem on the steering wheel at about 100km (60mph).
If i put my thumb on the emblem while driving, it stops. Can't pop the cover off to inspect as the air bag is there.
I guess I'll just keep turning the stereo up.

Last edited: