Current Chevy owner but like the Ram. Convince me :)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That’s just all the more reason for improvement so you can make it louder to hear it good… LOL.

Really, the only thing I just wasn’t that impressed with at all on my stock system was that cheesy subwoofer they put under the rear seat but even if you didn’t want to go with 500 watts of power pushing two JL audio 10 inch subs like I did, I’ve heard that keeping the original speaker box, tossing that junky speaker in the trash and finding the most powerful 8 inch or possibly a low profile 10 inch subwoofer if they make one and put it in there with a decent sized amp, they sound pretty good, then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There wasn’t anything anything good about my audio system. I replaced all the speakers. They made the oem head unit sound good. I the replaced the head unit and the system sounded better.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There wasn’t anything anything good about my audio system. I replaced all the speakers. They made the oem head unit sound good. I the replaced the head unit and the system sounded better.

Which one is that, the 5” system?

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Which one is that, the 5” system?

It was the 5” system, not the 8.4 that I’m guessing that you have. My brother had a ram for a little while with the 8.4 with the extra speakers and sub I don’t have. I wasn’t impressed with his either.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It was the 5” system, not the 8.4 that I’m guessing that you have. My brother had a ram for a little while with the 8.4 with the extra speakers and sub I don’t have. I wasn’t impressed with his either.

The 5 inch system I can understand which is why I’m glad that one is easily upgradable being that the 8.4 is not. Well, you can, but it’s not cheap but lemmie tell ya, you put some decent speakers in place of the factory ones and ditch that cheesy subwoofer, you got a good sound system then. I’m pretty happy with mine, even considering that I have my radio’s bass turned down to the point that my front door “subs” are non existent being that I have a ton of clean, clear and hard hitting bad coming from under both ends of my rear seat.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
That’s just all the more reason for improvement so you can make it louder to hear it good… LOL.

Really, the only thing I just wasn’t that impressed with at all on my stock system was that cheesy subwoofer they put under the rear seat but even if you didn’t want to go with 500 watts of power pushing two JL audio 10 inch subs like I did, I’ve heard that keeping the original speaker box, tossing that junky speaker in the trash and finding the most powerful 8 inch or possibly a low profile 10 inch subwoofer if they make one and put it in there with a decent sized amp, they sound pretty good, then.

This reminds me of a friend who went up to a band's speaker at a bar and yelled at them "I don't hear anything!" They looked at him like he was nuts. He was. And drunk.

Meh - long tube headers next. Just bought a deer blaster for the front grill.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
You bring up a good point about Ford and GM having higher payload due to their use of aluminum and other lighter materials. I never really put much thought into it but now that I have I’m concerned, maybe unnecessarily so, it concerned just the same.

Any vehicle designed to tow had better have the mass to support the weight it’s bringing with it. It also needs to have the ability to STOP whatever it’s hauling. Any half ton truck can get a load up to speed but the passenger car braking system will be the weak link.

Take a look at the brakes on a half ton and let me know if you think twice about hauling anything near its capability limit.

Jim 370

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I guess that is the thing. I was so impressed driving it for the first time it almost seems like a no brainer as far as the looks and feel go. I am just a little nervous jumping ship when GM as been so good for me. If it makes a difference, I think I am pretty easy on my vehicles and take good care of them, keep them garaged, etc. so hopefully that would contribute to the reliability just like my other two different brand vehicles that I have had for a long time have not given me a problem.

Where I live, Budget Rental Car has two 2020 Power Wagons you can rent!! I recommend test driving or renting a Power Wagon. You will change your mind about 3/4 ton trucks! I own a 2018 PW. I test drove several trucks before buying the PW. The way it drove and road sold me. You get almost 1/2T ride quality without sacrificing too much on towing capacity. I sold my 2004 3/4T Avalanche to buy the PW. I miss the the Avalanche. I don't understand why GM quit making it. It's based off the Suburban so there's not anything special to do to make an Avalanche (same frame, wheelbase, etc.). That's why I bought the PW. I was looking at a GMC Sierra Denali 1500 and they wanted around $70K. Ram was discounting the 2500's, 3500's, and Power Wagons between $10-12K. A quick search online and I found a maxed out 2018 PW for $52K. It has the Laramie package which was the top package until the Limited came out. It has everything except the sunroof which I didn't want. It drives great! For a 7,700lb 3/4T truck with solid axles it drives WAY BETTER than my 6,600lb 3/4T Avalanche with independent front suspension. Of course, it's no 2021 GMC 1500 Denali in the ride quality. However, if creature comfort and ride quality is the objective while still towing a heavy load, look no further than the 2021 Laramie or Limited 1500 RAM with ECO Diesel and AIR RIDE! That truck will do the duty and get 30mpg doing it all while riding/driving like a Cadillac.

Last edited:

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You bring up a good point about Ford and GM having higher payload due to their use of aluminum and other lighter materials. I never really put much thought into it but now that I have I’m concerned, maybe unnecessarily so, it concerned just the same.

Any vehicle designed to tow had better have the mass to support the weight it’s bringing with it. It also needs to have the ability to STOP whatever it’s hauling. Any half ton truck can get a load up to speed but the passenger car braking system will be the weak link.

Take a look at the brakes on a half ton and let me know if you think twice about hauling anything near its capability limit.

Yep. Now whether or not I can safely tow what my rating supposedly is, I’d feel a lot better with my Ram other than Phord’s claim at over 13,000.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where I live, Budget Rental Car has two 2020 Power Wagons you can rent!! I recommend test driving or renting a Power Wagon. You will change your mind about 3/4 ton trucks! I own a 2018 PW. I test drove several trucks before buying the PW. The way it drove and road sold me. You get almost 1/2T ride quality without sacrificing too much on towing capacity. I sold my 2004 3/4T Avalanche to buy the PW. I miss the the Avalanche. I don't understand why GM quit making it. It's based off the Suburban so there's not anything special to do to make an Avalanche (same frame, wheelbase, etc.). That's why I bought the PW. I was looking at a GMC Sierra Denali 1500 and they wanted around $70K. Ram was discounting the 2500's, 3500's, and Power Wagons between $10-12K. A quick search online and I found a maxed out 2018 PW for $52K. It has the Laramie package which was the top package until the Limited came out. It has everything except the sunroof which I didn't want. It drives great! For a 7,700lb 3/4T truck with solid axles it drives WAY BETTER than my 6,600lb 3/4T Avalanche with independent front suspension. Of course, it's no 2021 GMC 1500 Denali in the ride quality. However, if creature comfort and ride quality is the objective while still towing a heavy load, look no further than the 2021 Laramie or Limited 1500 RAM with ECO Diesel and AIR RIDE! That truck will do the duty and get 30mpg doing it all while riding/driving like a Cadillac.

Man, that PW isn’t a 3/4-ton truck. Just because it’s based off a 2500 platform, it’s in a separate class of its own. A “real” 3/4-ton with 4.10 gears, 392ci Hemi that is the crew cab, 6’-4” bed 4x4 has a payload of 3300 pounds with a max trailer towing weight of little over 15,000 pounds. You lose about 2,000 pounds if you opt for the 3.73 gears but the payload is still the same.

Your PW; is only 1,466 max payload and can barely pull a trailer weighing 10,000 pounds. My 1500 has more payload at 1,520 pounds and a max trailer weight of 10,170 pounds.

Sure, depending on how my truck was loaded, I may not be able to tow that much but that’s not the point. The PW isn’t a 2500.

Chuck962500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Let's make this simple.
Look up Dodge..meaning...To Avoid...
Been a Chevy guy all my life.couldnt find one in North idaho .all the 3/4. 4x4 s all taken. Soo i. Ended up getting a rust free dodge out of Az. Great fun and great project for a guy with a full shop with a lift.easy to find parts. Reliable No
Fast NO
Great in the snow and after adding tranny cooler and trailer brake g

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's make this simple.
Look up Dodge..meaning...To Avoid...
Been a Chevy guy all my life.couldnt find one in North idaho .all the 3/4. 4x4 s all taken. Soo i. Ended up getting a rust free dodge out of Az. Great fun and great project for a guy with a full shop with a lift.easy to find parts. Reliable No
Fast NO
Great in the snow and after adding tranny cooler and trailer brake g
You talking about the 96 in your sig? I guarantee you that GM didn't have anything any better in the 90's and trust me I know. I owned a new 97 GM sierra SLE with the 350 and it wasn't particularly fast but it was a great looking truck. The new Silverado is ugly as HELL and I doubt reliable either since GM's quality has been suspect since the GMT 900's debuted in 2007.

Yukonbill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
If you haven't had reason to dislike GM, you might stick with them. I can't speak to reliability of Ram, but I can say GM is not what I thought they were. I personally was a GM guy, probably something my dad instilled in me from birth. I still tend to think of myself as one at heart. My 2010 Silverado started rusting from the inside out and had an oil pressure problem that no one could solve until after about $1500 worth of dealer attempts I figured out myself with a $8 part. My 2013 Sierra is flaking paint like nobody's business even though it's been pampered and garaged for its whole life. If I go through a car wash probably 1/3 of the white diamond ($500 extra for that stupid color!) will blow away to reveal the grey primer. My 2011 Express van was randomly not starting while under warranty, but the problem was intermittent and by the time the warranty was up they refused to do anything about it even though it had been reported earlier. My 2016 2500 Denali is a diesel and it has had 1 injector replaced 3 times at my expense and once under warranty. I can only go about 3 weeks between check engine lights and limp mode tow back to dealer. Between the treatment at the dealers and the problems that I just didn't expect from pampered low mile vehicles, it was like a sign from someone that GM just didn't care about me or my business. I test drove a Ram and it was head and shoulders better than any of my other GM vehicles in ride quality and bells and whistles. I bought a 2021 Laramie in November and may be replacing the 2013 Sierra with another Ram this year. I can't quite throw all of my money at Ram yet, until I get some miles and years on this first one, but so far so good and I may just be a Ram guy now.
I was a Ford guy for 23+ years. Test drove a Dodge Dakota 2001 model and now I’m on my 4th Dodge-each time trading up one size. None have ever left me sitting on the side of the road. Performed all my own maintenance. Worst issue, I had on my Monster 05’ 1500 was the duct work quit opening, had to remove the entire dash to repair. My 2500 had transmission shift problem caused by defective valve body, repaired under warranty. My Mew 21’ Ram 3500 is a beast. Rides like a luxury SUV OR Large car. What awesome quality and craftsmanship. I test drove GMC, Chevy, and Ford and couldn’t compare a single truck to this beast. Of course we spent our life savings, but can’t take it to the grave. Every person has their opinion and ideas of the greatest truck. When it comes down to it, they’re all awesome and the greatest truck on the road until they break—then it’s the biggest POS on the road, lol. Pop loved every truck, from every manufacturer, until something needed repair —his solution Trade it in—which he did every time the factory warranty run out. Have fun and love truckin.

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You talking about the 96 in your sig? I guarantee you that GM didn't have anything any better in the 90's and trust me I know. I owned a new 97 GM sierra SLE with the 350 and it wasn't particularly fast but it was a great looking truck. The new Silverado is ugly as HELL and I doubt reliable either since GM's quality has been suspect since the GMT 900's debuted in 2007.

My trucks proven to me that rams aren’t much better now. We had a discussion yesterday in the construction trailer at work about trucks. One guy is replacing his car that got totaled in an accident. He asked about rams and everyone chimed in saying to avoid them.

Robeffy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 TD
My first Dodge truck was a 76, drove that for 10 years, basically trouble free.
Next truck was a Dakota RT, 98 model, drove that for 10 years, spent less than 1000 on repairs in 10 years. Sold it for a lot of money... that truck was the least expensive vehicle I ever owned. And it went like stink.
Next truck was a 95 Ram 1500, still driving it today. It has almost 200,000 km on it.
Bought the 2018 2500 CTD model, best diesel engine, great ride, great features, great resale value. My summer tow the trailer truck.
I don't think Dodge dealers are better than any other dealer, but, their trucks are great.
My friends with Ford and Chevy, have told me to let them know if I sell the ****** Turbo Diesel, there is a line forming... ha ha..

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
My first Dodge truck was a 76, drove that for 10 years, basically trouble free.
Next truck was a Dakota RT, 98 model, drove that for 10 years, spent less than 1000 on repairs in 10 years. Sold it for a lot of money... that truck was the least expensive vehicle I ever owned. And it went like stink.
Next truck was a 95 Ram 1500, still driving it today. It has almost 200,000 km on it.
Bought the 2018 2500 CTD model, best diesel engine, great ride, great features, great resale value. My summer tow the trailer truck.
I don't think Dodge dealers are better than any other dealer, but, their trucks are great.
My friends with Ford and Chevy, have told me to let them know if I sell the ****** Turbo Diesel, there is a line forming... ha ha..
My experience for the past 45 years also, don't care who likes a Dodge or not. NEVER been a fad follower! If you don't like them don't buy them, if you made a mistake and bought one sell it and never buy another one! We have choices!

Last edited:

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I owned a '09 Silverado 2500 gasser. What convinced me not to get another was when a brake module went out that controlled the built in trailer brake controller. Lost my brakes for my trailers. Took it to dealer and he says they have to order the part. 3 weeks later I call the dealer and he says it still hasn't come in. I went to another dealer and the parts guy says it ain't coming in anytime soon. He did a nationwide search and only two of them showed in inventory. It wasn't until 6 months later I got the notice "your part is in". I had to cut my harness and wire in an aftermarket brake controller to be able to tow my trailers. Good bye and good riddance GM.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My trucks proven to me that rams aren’t much better now. We had a discussion yesterday in the construction trailer at work about trucks. One guy is replacing his car that got totaled in an accident. He asked about rams and everyone chimed in saying to avoid them.

....aaand they’re basing that on what, reading consumer reports, whatever they’ve read on Facebook or just because they know of somebody or know of somebody who knows of somebody that’s had problems with one?

Of course there might be negative opinions but just merely bring that up here is totally moot.

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
....aaand they’re basing that on what, reading consumer reports, whatever they’ve read on Facebook or just because they know of somebody or know of somebody who knows of somebody that’s had problems with one?

Of course there might be negative opinions but just merely bring that up here is totally moot.

Bring up that it’s a low end brand promoting itself as much more is the point here. From personal experience I can say it’s lower quality. As more companies put rams into fleet because of its lower price tag more people are realizing that it’s lower quality. You get what you pay for. You pay less for a ram compared to a similarly equipped truck from another brand you also get less. You don’t think that they are offering a lower price and taking a hit in the profits to be nice? They are offering a lower priced vehicle, cutting corners on material and quality while maintaining the highest profit margin they can. If I didn’t buy the lifetime powertrain warranty I would have ditched my ram for a better truck. I will run my ram as long as I can and I’m sure I’ll use the powertrain warranty much more then I already have. This is a brand that has known issues that they’ve don’t fix. You can take the high failure rate of fuel sensor units that’s been a known issue since 2012 and has been carried over to the new 5th gen trucks. And then there’s the exhaust manifold bolts that break and cause the exhaust manifolds to warp. I’ve had my truck in multiple times for this and all you have to do is scan the ram forums to se this is a common issue that can only be remedied by replaced the stock parts with aftermarket parts. And don’t forget starting in 2012 ram shortened the bed of the truck by 6” giving the truck the truck the shortest bed of any full size truck on the market. They did this to increase their profits. But your right, someone looking to buy a new truck wouldn’t want to know these short comings. If I had known these things I wouldn’t have bought one. I do let everyone I know not to buy a ram because because of these short comings.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me yes I had more problems with my previous Ram that the last 5 cars combined but they were something that you could fix unlike my two previous trucks (2014, 2015 K2XX Silverado’s)that both had the Chevy shake that couldn’t be fixed by anyone.

Besides the Rams ride quality, interior design, the power of the 5.7 Hemi vs the 5.3 and smooth shifting 8spd auto are miles ahead of anything GM had then or now and that’s even my 4th gen not the 5th gen which is even better ride and interior wise.

Granted the 6.2 is better than the 5.7 Hemi but you can’t get it in the lower trim levels so unless you want to spend big money your stuck with the weak ass 5.3.

I would buy a Ford before I would ever give GM another chance.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bring up that it’s a low end brand promoting itself as much more is the point here.
I don’t think Ram is a low-end brand. Sure, I’ve had to had my headliner replaced under warranty because I’m guessing it’s because how they make the headliners for trucks that come equipped with the sunroof and someday here in the future I’m gonna have to take mine back to get a new radio because of delimitation of the screen but since all brands have their own manufacturer defects on other parts, why focus on one brand like they’re the only ones guilty of it? At least in Ram’s defense, they’ve had a ****** last 20 years due to merging with Daimler, getting ****** on that deal then getting sold to Cerebrus which wasn’t any better which in my opinion was no wonder why they needed the bailout and why they were pretty much forced to be bought by fiat but uh, what’s GM’s excuse? What’s Ford’s excuse? I always thought Chrysler’s quality was indeed coming up since I hate to say it, being owned by major company like fiat that maybe they can start working on reputation and quality and getting a name back for themselves.

From personal experience I can say it’s lower quality.
Maybe just yours? I dunno, maybe your expectations are higher than others?

As more companies put rams into fleet because of its lower price tag more people are realizing that it’s lower quality.
That’s funny, the majority of what I’ve heard from people is quite the opposite. Sure, there are some who’ve had some duds but who isn’t going to have a dud no matter what it says on the grille or tailgate?

You get what you pay for. You pay less for a ram compared to a similarly equipped truck from another brand you also get less.
I am a firm believer in getting what you pay for on most things but, I always looked at the opposite which was how can Ford sell an almost equally-equipped f150 Limited for 74,000 dollars but a fully loaded Ram is on average, 10 grand less than that? What, because of a ridiculously over-powered little V6? A 10-speed transmission when in my opinion my 8-speed trans behind a 400-horse V8 is plenty? An overly large 15” laptop screen?....lol.

But I had no idea Ram was actually trying to beat Ford now in price for the fleet-version trucks. I guess ya gotta do something pretty drastic to compete with ford’s ultra low price and out of this world rebates and incentives just to, you know, maintain that best selling truck garble in who gives a **** however many years.

You don’t think that they are offering a lower price and taking a hit in the profits to be nice? They are offering a lower priced vehicle, cutting corners on material and quality while maintaining the highest profit margin they can.

I think they’re they’re doing it to be more competitive and get more Rams on the road.

And again, I wouldn’t say they are cutting corners on material and quality but I guess that’s just me.

If I didn’t buy the lifetime powertrain warranty I would have ditched my ram for a better truck. I will run my ram as long as I can and I’m sure I’ll use the powertrain warranty much more then I already have. This is a brand that has known issues that they’ve don’t fix. You can take the high failure rate of fuel sensor units that’s been a known issue since 2012 and has been carried over to the new 5th gen trucks. And then there’s the exhaust manifold bolts that break and cause the exhaust manifolds to warp. I’ve had my truck in multiple times for this and all you have to do is scan the ram forums to se this is a common issue that can only be remedied by replaced the stock parts with aftermarket parts.
Why did you buy the lifetime warranty? I only bought mine for the air suspension and that 8-speed transmission and more for what I really care to admit, was because since I was able to get exactly the truck I wanted without having to settle for less, I’d sure like to keep this truck for as long as I can.

But uh, what’s this with the fuel sensor units? I’ve been on this forum for Avery long time is this the first that I e heard about this or I guess I’ve just never been on at the right time where anyone else has ever mentioned it.

But yeah, the exhaust manifold bolts breaking has been a known issue but instead of whining about that and making it into too large of a deal, when it happens, use that opportunity to go get better manifolds or go headers and bam, problem solved.

And don’t forget starting in 2012 ram shortened the bed of the truck by 6” giving the truck the truck the shortest bed of any full size truck on the market. They did this to increase their profits.
So. A lot of brands do this- and it wasn’t 6 inches, it was 5 inches, so I don’t know where you got that from because that’s what the majority of consumers want is a shorter bed crew cab trucks but hey, who cares if they shortened the bed to increase profits which is what all the other brands do as well? You can still get a bed that’s 4 inches longer than a traditional 6-foot shortbed if that short 5’-7” bed just isn’t gonna work.

But your right, someone looking to buy a new truck wouldn’t want to know these short comings.
I didn’t say they didn’t. I just said that it sounded to me like you were just forwarding what you heard but ok, so you’ve had some problems. Tell people whatever you want because it’s up to them to figure out if they want to heed your “warning” or not. Doesn’t matter to me what people buy.

If I had known these things I wouldn’t have bought one.
That’s fine. What you consider as dealbreakers is not what I consider as a dealbreaker but I respect your opinion.
I do let everyone I know not to buy a ram because because of these short comings.
What, because of a fuel sensor thing? A short bed that all brands have and manifolds that have an issue with broken bolts? Ok. Whatever floats your boat.