Current Chevy owner but like the Ram. Convince me :)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Granted the 6.2 is better than the 5.7 Hemi.....

But, is it really, though? Sure, it might be a bit more powerful but that’s just like trying to say the HO 3.5 Egoboost is better than the 5.7 Hemi because Phord squeezed it tightly enough to the point to where they wrung 450hp and nearly 500 pound feet of torque out of it but, why? It’s not a sports car. It’s not a novelty truck like the SRT-10, Lightning or SS Silverado, it’s just a normal everyday truck, nothing special so what do you need that extra stock power for? Sure, there’s ways in the aftermarket to get more power but what if you don’t need it? Squeezing that much power just hurts it’s longevity which is pretty much why the HP in the 392 is so low and not all that much more than the 5.7.

Just my thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
But, is it really, though? Sure, it might be a bit more powerful but that’s just like trying to say the HO 3.5 Egoboost is better than the 5.7 Hemi because Phord squeezed it tightly enough to the point to where they wrung 450hp and nearly 500 pound feet of torque out of it but, why? It’s not a sports car. It’s not a novelty truck like the SRT-10, Lightning or SS Silverado, it’s just a normal everyday truck, nothing special so what do you need that extra stock power for? Sure, there’s ways in the aftermarket to get more power but what if you don’t need it? Squeezing that much power just hurts it’s longevity which is pretty much why the HP in the 392 is so low and not all that much more than the 5.7.

Just my thoughts.

I agree with pretty much everything you just said but hell most guys would love to have more power. If they bumped up the Hemi to similar numbers, 25 more horses, 50 more torque I’d seriously consider moving on up but not for the same thing I have now with a different wrapper (for the most part anyway) of course if Ram goes turbo 6 or EV in the future I’m probably done with them too.
Would truly love to have the SRT 6.4 in a truck but not at close to TRX prices!

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree with pretty much everything you just said but hell most guys would love to have more power. If they bumped up the Hemi to similar numbers, 25 more horses, 50 more torque I’d seriously consider moving on up but not for the same thing I have now with a different wrapper (for the most part anyway) of course if Ram goes turbo 6 or EV in the future I’m probably done with them too.
Would truly love to have the SRT 6.4 in a truck but not at close to TRX prices!

I got nothin wrong with more power but if I want it, I’ll do it at my own discretion.

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don’t think Ram is a low-end brand. Sure, I’ve had to had my headliner replaced under warranty because I’m guessing it’s because how they make the headliners for trucks that come equipped with the sunroof and someday here in the future I’m gonna have to take mine back to get a new radio because of delimitation of the screen but since all brands have their own manufacturer defects on other parts, why focus on one brand like they’re the only ones guilty of it? At least in Ram’s defense, they’ve had a ****** last 20 years due to merging with Daimler, getting ****** on that deal then getting sold to Cerebrus which wasn’t any better which in my opinion was no wonder why they needed the bailout and why they were pretty much forced to be bought by fiat but uh, what’s GM’s excuse? What’s Ford’s excuse? I always thought Chrysler’s quality was indeed coming up since I hate to say it, being owned by major company like fiat that maybe they can start working on reputation and quality and getting a name back for themselves.

Maybe just yours? I dunno, maybe your expectations are higher than others?

That’s funny, the majority of what I’ve heard from people is quite the opposite. Sure, there are some who’ve had some duds but who isn’t going to have a dud no matter what it says on the grille or tailgate?

I am a firm believer in getting what you pay for on most things but, I always looked at the opposite which was how can Ford sell an almost equally-equipped f150 Limited for 74,000 dollars but a fully loaded Ram is on average, 10 grand less than that? What, because of a ridiculously over-powered little V6? A 10-speed transmission when in my opinion my 8-speed trans behind a 400-horse V8 is plenty? An overly large 15” laptop screen?....lol.

But I had no idea Ram was actually trying to beat Ford now in price for the fleet-version trucks. I guess ya gotta do something pretty drastic to compete with ford’s ultra low price and out of this world rebates and incentives just to, you know, maintain that best selling truck garble in who gives a **** however many years.

I think they’re they’re doing it to be more competitive and get more Rams on the road.

And again, I wouldn’t say they are cutting corners on material and quality but I guess that’s just me.

Why did you buy the lifetime warranty? I only bought mine for the air suspension and that 8-speed transmission and more for what I really care to admit, was because since I was able to get exactly the truck I wanted without having to settle for less, I’d sure like to keep this truck for as long as I can.

But uh, what’s this with the fuel sensor units? I’ve been on this forum for Avery long time is this the first that I e heard about this or I guess I’ve just never been on at the right time where anyone else has ever mentioned it.

But yeah, the exhaust manifold bolts breaking has been a known issue but instead of whining about that and making it into too large of a deal, when it happens, use that opportunity to go get better manifolds or go headers and bam, problem solved.

So. A lot of brands do this- and it wasn’t 6 inches, it was 5 inches, so I don’t know where you got that from because that’s what the majority of consumers want is a shorter bed crew cab trucks but hey, who cares if they shortened the bed to increase profits which is what all the other brands do as well? You can still get a bed that’s 4 inches longer than a traditional 6-foot shortbed if that short 5’-7” bed just isn’t gonna work.

I didn’t say they didn’t. I just said that it sounded to me like you were just forwarding what you heard but ok, so you’ve had some problems. Tell people whatever you want because it’s up to them to figure out if they want to heed your “warning” or not. Doesn’t matter to me what people buy.

That’s fine. What you consider as dealbreakers is not what I consider as a dealbreaker but I respect your opinion.

What, because of a fuel sensor thing? A short bed that all brands have and manifolds that have an issue with broken bolts? Ok. Whatever floats your boat.

Would expect nothing less from a fan boy who can’t see that the brand he’s loyal to isn’t what you think it is. It’s a low end brand and you aren’t able to see it. It’s a step above a yugo, but with better marketing.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
dont get me wrong, I really like my '19 laramie. it handles great and is fun to drive and tows my 28' travel trailer pretty well. everyone that rides in it comments about how nice it is and comfortable the ride is. But, the fact is any good loan officer will tell you the ram will have ever so slightly less resale value. just the way things have been for as long as I can remember..doesnt bother me tho. when I traded in my '17 gmc 1500 for my '19 ram, I got 40,000 and some odd dollars for it and I think my laramie would only bring 36-37,000 right now. a good indicator is the fact that mine stickered for 56,776$ and I paid less than 43,000$ out the door.

GeometryFletch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
You said convince you to switch from Chevrolet to Ram, go outside look at your Chevy, the come back in here and look at the Rams. Let me know if it convinces you?
lol right. plus I dislike the chevy square fender shapes on an exterior look.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Would expect nothing less from a fan boy who can’t see that the brand he’s loyal to isn’t what you think it is. It’s a low end brand and you aren’t able to see it. It’s a step above a yugo, but with better marketing.

[emoji2369].... I guess I am a fanboy. I’ve loved Dodge ever since my very first one when I bought my 96 Dakota. I’ve had great luck with them. I think they look better than anything else out there on the road. Except for the new 1500’s- don’t really care for the look of those, but if I was in the market for a new truck I’d probably buy the 3/4-ton because I do however like the new looks of those but I dunno, I guess maybe where my fanboy-ism comes from is from what I’ve said above and the fact that I just don’t really care for anything else. Phord can go to hell for as far as I’m concerned, GM..... GM’s just GM that’s just been ugly this whole time and not really a particular rhyme or reason I don’t like them, I just don’t care for them and Toyota- ugly, but I would own a Tundra.

But man, you’re pretty pathetic if that’s how you feel just because of whatever it is with a fuel sensor, the exhaust manifolds, too short of a bed which they all do...lol and whatever else. Lifetime warranty or not, sell it and get rid of it if it’s that much of a ************* to you.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
dont get me wrong, I really like my '19 laramie. it handles great and is fun to drive and tows my 28' travel trailer pretty well. everyone that rides in it comments about how nice it is and comfortable the ride is. But, the fact is any good loan officer will tell you the ram will have ever so slightly less resale value. just the way things have been for as long as I can remember..doesnt bother me tho. when I traded in my '17 gmc 1500 for my '19 ram, I got 40,000 and some odd dollars for it and I think my laramie would only bring 36-37,000 right now. a good indicator is the fact that mine stickered for 56,776$ and I paid less than 43,000$ out the door.

I don’t know why that is. But at least one things for certain, I bought my Ram brand new three years ago this past Christmas for the long haul so who knows, maybe they’ll finally get things turned around whenever it comes time to buy a new one.

dragstrip69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-torque
All brands have Quality issues, none of them are immune to sourcing bad parts with inherent design problems. Some may deal with them better than others but it's usually the dealership that makes or breaks it for you. IMO.

Buy the truck you like most, take care of it and keep your fingers crossed as any of them can have costly repairs regardless of manufacturer.

If you are buying a truck for the long haul buy a Toyota, they aren't real exciting but the reputation for longevity keeps the resale value among the best.

I'm a dyed in the wool Ford guy but I just don't like the product right now along with Fords warranty cost spiraling out of control I'm nervous about the quality so I got a Ram that I love, (for now anyways) and I'm worried about it's quality due to it's reputation as well, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

If it turns out to be a nightmare I won't buy another one, but if it's like most trucks I've had it will be fine.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All brands have Quality issues, none of them are immune to sourcing bad parts with inherent design problems. Some may deal with them better than others but it's usually the dealership that makes or breaks it for you. IMO.

Buy the truck you like most, take care of it and keep your fingers crossed as any of them can have costly repairs regardless of manufacturer.

If you are buying a truck for the long haul buy a Toyota, they aren't real exciting but the reputation for longevity keeps the resale value among the best.

I'm a dyed in the wool Ford guy but I just don't like the product right now along with Fords warranty cost spiraling out of control I'm nervous about the quality so I got a Ram that I love, (for now anyways) and I'm worried about it's quality due to it's reputation as well, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

If it turns out to be a nightmare I won't buy another one, but if it's like most trucks I've had it will be fine.

Couldn’t have said it better myself. Well, except maybe for the Toyota part. Lol. Look, I know they may be good for longevity but being that I try to take good care of my Ram, I’m not worried about mine lasting any less than any Toyota. My last Ram was 10 years old when I sold it and there wasn’t a damn thing wrong with it. Sure, it might’ve only had 70,000 miles on it when I sold it but I took care of it and not only that, I was the third owner owner of it when I bought it and even though the second owner got it into some kind of an accident that had reported frame damage, it was still a good truck that tracked straight and never ate tires except for the one time of taking it too a Dodge house one day for an alignment; boy, was that ever a mistake. Ended up having to take it to a Midas, or Brakes Plus, what we it was to get the alignment corrected but even when I bought the truck, it was four years old with only 29,000 miles on the clock.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I can tell you that I'm the biggest "fan boy" on this whole forum and very proud of it. I've been mopar for 45 years and nothing anyone can say will change that. You have a long line to get in behind all the people who have trashed Dodge in these last 45 years for me. You can't possibly come up with 1 thing negative I haven't heard before. I've been a mechanic for the past 43 years and I've worked on every brand that exists and I and everyone knows they ALL have something that's not good. I would never go to a ford or gm site and trash what they believe in because I have respect for your beliefs and plus I'm pretty sure they'd tell me where I can go! I have never once thought of buying ANY other brand and never will. I have just as much right to believe as strong as I do as anyone. Being negative about me buying something you don't like is a personal problem. You can talk till you're blue in the face or run out of breath I'll never be changed. My experience with something is all I'm going to listen to, no kin people, workers, friends, preachers, magazines or anything will change my mind! I am a self proclaimed biggest " MOPAR FAN BOY" that exists and very proud of it!

Last edited:

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OP never updated us.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This thread has been edited.

Those of you who have been engaging in personal attacks will lose your forum access for at least a week if it happens again.

Thank you.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins

Talk about "low end", that would've been my '09 Silverado LTZ. My previous Ram SLT's were built of better quality materials for the interiors than that top of the line Chevy was.