Custom trany tune worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

16WhiteQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I am finally going with an unlocked ECM/Diablo I3 and I am mainly shopping HF right now. (JG is an option as well, not looking to start a ******* match here).

Both offer trans tuning but I am still not clear on what I would gain, and I am seeing some feedback about trany issues after as well.

My truck is just a intake/catback truck for now, might do kook's shorties down the road.

My main goal with a custom tune is drivability and grin factor. for the most part the stock trany tuning is ok, but I would really like the shifts to be a bit firmer/quicker (sharper?) when I am ripping around, I.E. something similar to the LX cars in "sport mode".

Is the trany tune what I am looking for?

Any feedback is welcome.

**UPDATE, yes it is!!! I Went with JG and I am very happy!!!

Last edited:

Mike Townsend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a Diablo tuner with a custom tune from HF. I added the transmission tune and am not sure how I like it. When I had it in there it shifted really hard from the 1-2 and 3-4 shifts. If I hammered on it it would chirp the tires on the first few shifts. I decided it was too much and put the default sport transmission tune in from the Diablo tuner. It still shifts a lot better than the custom tune but not near as hard core.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
pedal box , pedal commander, or a banks-power pedal monster

A trans tune for our trucks would be for the track with nitrous or blower, with rev-limiter.

Pedal Box was installed on my truck from the dealer as part of the package, it’s adjustable I think 12 settings from mild to wild
The only thing similar before my experience with it was my neighbors Gen 1 Audi S8.

You won’t blow the doors off a HellCat
but you’ll scare the scat out of them .

Last edited:
OP
OP
16WhiteQC

16WhiteQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a Diablo tuner with a custom tune from HF. I added the transmission tune and am not sure how I like it. When I had it in there it shifted really hard from the 1-2 and 3-4 shifts. If I hammered on it it would chirp the tires on the first few shifts. I decided it was too much and put the default sport transmission tune in from the Diablo tuner. It still shifts a lot better than the custom tune but not near as hard core.
Thanks for the feedback, I plan to talk to HF about the trans tun a bit more. I don't need "track" style shifting, just a bit more "sporty" is all.
pedal box , pedal commander, or a banks-power pedal monster

A trans tune for our trucks would be for the track with nitrous or blower, with rev-limiter.

Pedal Box was installed on my truck from the dealer as part of the package, it’s adjustable I think 12 settings from mild to wild
The only thing similar before my experience with it was my neighbors Gen 1 Audi S8.

You won’t blow the doors off a HellCat
but you’ll scare the cat out of them .
Have a pedal comander already and love it. Custom tune would be the next step for added power and drivability.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thanks for the feedback, I plan to talk to HF about the trans tun a bit more. I don't need "track" style shifting, just a bit more "sporty" is all.

Have a pedal comander already and love it. Custom tune would be the next step for added power and drivability.
Hunt up Ryan Hogan of FRP instead,neither Greene or Powell/Hemifever have the 8 speeds tuning figured out as good as Ryan does. Jeremy Satera is another one to look up,but he's a bit pricey. There's a reason Rick Spillman who has the fastest naturally aspirated Ram,switched from Hemifever to Ryan Hogan,lol

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8

I’m not familiar with pedal commander but my pedal box feels the same as dial select of an Audi in sport mode for control and response.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had Hemifever adjust my pedal sensitivity in the tune. I think it’s around 5 over stock. Also had him do a trans tune. Asked for slightly firmer shifts and adjust my shift rpm limit up but leave everything else alone. Truck is definitely punchier on the throttle and will shift at 6200rpm now when commanded. It is faster at shifting since he firmed up the shifts. Everything else is the same with normal driving. Engine tuned for 6.4 intake manifold, long tube headers, 190° tstat and ported Throttle body

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Curious what you end up doing and how you like it. Almost pulled the trigger on Diablo and custom tune myself. I have a Pulsar now and do like the adaptability on the fly, but know a custom tune will be better. I had a Pedal Commander, but sold it when I got the Pulsar as it boosted the throttle similarly. I sort of doubt a custom tune would be $700 better than the Pulsar in performance mode, but I could sell the Pulsar for $300 or so. So then would it be worth the $400? We only have 91 gas here as well which the Pulsar is a 91 tune so I couldn't take advantage of a 93 tune from the tuners anyways and would have to get a toned down 91.

Also read that JG is super busy now and a pain to get into because he doesn't have the time for new people. So I was mostly looking at HF or Flying Ryan.

OP
OP
16WhiteQC

16WhiteQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Little update, contacted FRP to get a some info and he no longer supports Diablo.

I would have to go HPtuners for about $375 more than the total cost of going with the Diablo/HF route (I.E. $1300 vs $925 + the cost of the used ECM).

Long term if I was planing on going cam, long tubes and racing the truck I would go that route for sure. But I plan to stay bolt on and I'm not really worried about every HP or tenth in the 1/4.

My used ECM off ebay should be here this week, if it checks out to be as clean as it looks I will be sending it in to Diablo at this time to be unlocked and going the HF route.

Last edited:

RASelkirk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, it's a shame somebody hasn't engineered a plug-in dongle like the Pedal Commander that could alter trans shifts. My truck feels great under 1/4 throttle, but wailing on it turns the shifts to marshmallow. I'm seeing what you are, ~ $1500 for everything required to tweak the tranny. Of course, there are "other" benefits to that $$$, but all I want is firmer shifts...

Russ

Noob2Trucks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
don't waste time nor money on shorty headers.... go long tube and then add electronic cutouts if ya want to smile and turn heads... doesn't take much to wake the 5.7 Hemi up.........
I don't have a reference point for shorty headers, but I do have this exact setup. Arh's, hiflo cats, to a QTP cutout. It's whisper quiet when closed and ridiculous when open. Without a tune it'll move, so whatever you go with I think you'll be happy!

I'm waiting for my stuff from hp tuners to arrive. I'm going to stay bolt on also. I need the driveshaft, throttle body, and most likely a 6.4 manifold. Last step is the bottle. I can hopefully be in the 12s on a daily truck.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I don't have a reference point for shorty headers, but I do have this exact setup. Arh's, hiflo cats, to a QTP cutout. It's whisper quiet when closed and ridiculous when open. Without a tune it'll move, so whatever you go with I think you'll be happy!

I'm waiting for my stuff from hp tuners to arrive. I'm going to stay bolt on also. I need the driveshaft, throttle body, and most likely a 6.4 manifold. Last step is the bottle. I can hopefully be in the 12s on a daily truck.
Throttle body won't give you much.The SRT 6.4's use the exact same throttle body as the 5.7's use,and it feeds their 485 hp pretty easily

Last edited:

savage_46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 swapped
How's the winter driveability with a trans tune? I don't wanna be sliding around every shift when it's slippery.

Noob2Trucks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Throttle body won't give you much.The SRT 6.4's use the exact same throttle body as the 5.7's use,and it feeds their 485 hp pretty easily
Thanks! That's some money I can put toward maybe porting the manifold.

OP
OP
16WhiteQC

16WhiteQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
don't waste time nor money on shorty headers.... go long tube and then add electronic cutouts if ya want to smile and turn heads... doesn't take much to wake the 5.7 Hemi up.........

Longtubes w/ cats + Corsa exhaust sounds like **** to me, way too much "rasp"!

I don't want to change my catback at this time. Than means my options are leave the restrictive manifolds or get good quality shorties (kooks) and keep the stock cats to tame the noise and allow the corsa to still sound good while freeing up the hemi a bit.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thanks! That's some money I can put toward maybe porting the manifold.
That's a wise move.How big a shot are you planning on hitting it with.Anything over a 100 shot,you should seriously look into doing a seperate stand alone fuel cell dedicated to the nitrous side of the fuel system.The stock system goes instant lean,as soon as the fuel solonoid opens and takes a bit to catch up,leading to an instant lean condition,lean and nitrous don't go together very well.I've been playing with nitrous since 1981,and have learned a few expensive lessons over the years,one being,do not short change the fuel system,and the other is,leave the purging for the guys on TV,it won't gain you squat on anything under a 250 shot,and just wastes nitrous.I run a Nitrous Outlet stand alone set-ups in both my truck,and the wifes 1320 Challenger. This is the one in my truck.

This is the fuel cell i use in the wifes Challenger.

Fuel cell is in the front pass corner of the box,relocated battery is in the rear pass corner of the box

Attachments

• IMG_3998.JPG
    IMG_3998.JPG
    237.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Noob2Trucks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I think 100 would probably be my limit. I'm just trying to get into the 12s consistently. After the tune, I'm going to do some interior stuff for comfort (speaker upgrade, a console idea I'm batting around). After that, it's a set of tires, a driveshaft (probably first since I don't drive much and these stock ones appear to be lasting). Then it's the manifold, lastly the nitrous.

So if I understand right, that's a little tank of regular gas that gets pulled only when you use the nitrous?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I think 100 would probably be my limit. I'm just trying to get into the 12s consistently. After the tune, I'm going to do some interior stuff for comfort (speaker upgrade, a console idea I'm batting around). After that, it's a set of tires, a driveshaft (probably first since I don't drive much and these stock ones appear to be lasting). Then it's the manifold, lastly the nitrous.

So if I understand right, that's a little tank of regular gas that gets pulled only when you use the nitrous?
Yup,but i run race fuel in the stand alones.MS109 is what i keep in the small tanks dedicated to the nitrous.You'll be easily into the 12's on a 100 shot.Figure on taking close to a full second off your times with a 100 shot.My little regular cab fully loaded 4X4 Sport runs DA corrected mid 11's on a 75 shot,with stock convertor/3.55 gears with a True Trac posi unit / one of Jays smaller 1.5HL cams / JBA 1 7/8 long tubes with a 3" true dual exhaust and the earlier Illicit relocation brackets. You'll want to invest in a set of 17" drag radials as traction will be your biggest issue.It could stand a convertor for the times it's off the bottle,but on the bottle the stock convertor works pretty decently.Nitrous creates instant cylinder pressure which is basically torque,which will blow the back tires off on street tires,lol.