Dead Battery, Just a click

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikegrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
Hello Everyone,
Not really looking for help but will follow up with the fix. I don't really post or comment as its not my thing but I figured since I have an issue the fix might help someone else down the line. I have a 2020 Power Wagon which I love. Yesterday went out to go use it and hit the start button, just a click. Did all the normal trouble shooting with some help from the forum. Put in a new battery, still just the relay, left it unhooked overnight, same result. Since its still under factory warranty as well as having an extended warranty, off to the dealership. I will follow up with the fix when I hear it myself. Hopefully someone can benefit from my issue.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Leave it on a charger overnight before taking it in to a dealer, batteries may sit on the shelf and lose voltage before you install them. Or you got a bad new battery, it happens. Would it start with a jump?

dogman1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That recently happened to my 2018. New yellowtop battery; plenty of juice to accessories.

It was the starter.

OP
OP
M

mikegrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
FYI - The issue was a dead starter. Dealership is replacing as I type. Hope this helps someone down the line. Happy it happened in my driveway and not in the woods. Also covered under the warranty so zero cost. While they have it they are also doing the tailgate recall as well as a software update that was listed as a recall. Thanks to all who replied! LOVE the Power Wagon!!!!

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would probably try jumping it or using a booster pack just to see what it does. An old school trick is to tap on the starter with a hammer in case the starter is stuck, but not sure the access you have on these new trucks without looking at mine???? I have seen starters cause issues like this before.

shawnlarue12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2018 Power Wagon and thought it might be the starter. I took it off and had it tested twice....both places said the starter was still good. Any suggestions? I put in a new battery, and still only get a single click from underneath.

Flammable_Solid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have a 2018 Power Wagon and thought it might be the starter. I took it off and had it tested twice....both places said the starter was still good. Any suggestions? I put in a new battery, and still only get a single click from underneath.
I had the same thing a few weeks ago. New starter, no more issues.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
how the hell are you burning up starters in 2 or 3 yrs ?

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if your turning the engine off and on 30 times a day thats a sure fire way to wear out the starter

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if your turning the engine off and on 30 times a day thats a sure fire way to wear out the starter
Off topic…but makes me wonder what kind of warranty/life expectancy these newer vehicles with the auto stop/start feature have for a starter lol

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
Off topic…but makes me wonder what kind of warranty/life expectancy these newer vehicles with the auto stop/start feature have for a starter lol
My wife's old Honda Pilot, a 2016 was low milage at the time and the battery took a ****. they said the start stop is really hard on them and because it was a battery it was not warrantied in the "extended." I was like, "so you put a system on the car that destroys batteries and then done warranty them, wtf?"

Arvid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve been having the same problem. Happened to me three times. A knock on the starter with a hammer got it going each time. Then it’s good for a while a month or so then happens again.
Have to get it in before the starter totally ***** the bed
Mine is a 2022 with 50k miles

Arvid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Had to get under there today and tap it while clicking remote start. Saw a few sparks lol think it’s about to burn up

OP
OP
M

mikegrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
how the hell are you burning up starters in 2 or 3 yrs ?
Live in NJ and always in the Pine Barrens. I would say sand, mud and water killed my starter as I work remote and only use the truck for fun. sorry to step on the multiple starts per day.

Arvid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2022 is heading in to test the starter on Thursday. Have 50k miles.

Arvid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dealer wanted 840.00 bucks to swap out for a new starter and celluloid wire.
I said no thanks I’ll pull the plug and two bolts myself.
Up and running again. Let’s see how long this one lasts

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Live in NJ and always in the Pine Barrens. I would say sand, mud and water killed my starter as I work remote and only use the truck for fun. sorry to step on the multiple starts per day.

5month later you say oh ya i forgot to mention i drove in a swamp ? i wouldnt expect any less on a open forum. seems par for the course

Arvid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I never drive in swamps and my starter went at 50k miles on a 2022 that was bought as a left over so I’ve barely been driving it a little over a year

OP
OP
M

mikegrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
5month later you say oh ya i forgot to mention i drove in a swamp ? i wouldnt expect any less on a open forum. seems par for the course
Sorry for the 5 month wait. No one asked the possible cause as to why. Just what was broken. I dont post much And your comments are one of the reasons. I tried to do others a favor by listing a symptom of trying to start and getting a click. It wasn't the battery but the starter, most thought the battery. What if the battery was the issue. Would that mean my offroading would have been relevant to a dead battery. Guess your irrelevant replies are on coarse for an open forum.