Dealer said No for transmission fluid change.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram1683

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's a neat little allen key,i like it,where did you find it.
I have a few sets similiar to these licking around in metric and SAE,and they also work good for pulling the fill plug.

That's from the matco guy. Those you linked don't fit in that spot. First time I pulled that plug I cut a piece of an Allen and used that sized box wrench. The matco one seats in to the box wrench and can't slide through

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
That's from the matco guy. Those you linked don't fit in that spot. First time I pulled that plug I cut a piece of an Allen and used that sized box wrench. The matco one seats in to the box wrench and can't slide through
I've never had any issues with them fitting ,even around my long tubes,but i do like your little allen key. Mine are Mac Tools, but i don't think they're any shorter then the Amazon ones i linked to,but then again,that's only going off the amazon pic. I do use my flex head Mac ratchet though,so that gives me a little more wiggle room to swing a ratchet and socket in a tight situation.

Last edited:

Ram1683

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've never had any issues with them fitting ,even around my long tubes,but i do like your little allen key. Mine are Mac Tools, but i don't think they're any shorter then the Amazon ones i linked to,but then again,that's only going off the amazon pic. I do use my flex head Mac ratchet though,so that gives me a little more wiggle room to swing a ratchet and socket in a tight situation.

Aaahhh you have long tubes. That's why you have more room. When I had stock exhaust, using a ratchet wasn't even a wet dream. Never gonna happen. The first one I got in there I think I got it stuck. Just gave me another reason to get rid of that exhaust

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Aaahhh you have long tubes. That's why you have more room. When I had stock exhaust, using a ratchet wasn't even a wet dream. Never gonna happen. The first one I got in there I think I got it stuck. Just gave me another reason to get rid of that exhaust
I hadn't really thought of that,but you might be right.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The long tubes I just did give me plenty of room for the plug. I'd still like to make some kind of small extension sightglass with a fill plug. Not having a dipstick really ****** me off
I've thought of using something like a holley carb sight glass,but you'd need a plug with an external hex head,instead of an internal allen hex. Another idea i've thought about is adding an external sight tube,like i did on my stand alone fuel cell,but that would entail drilling the pan and drilling and tapping the transmissions case.

Attachments

• IMG_4000.JPG
    IMG_4000.JPG
    193.4 KB · Views: 28

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Some of the aluminum pans already have a threaded port in them for things like a temp gauge sender. A nipple in there with a 90 degree elbow and a tube attached would work just fine, then get one of them "universal" dip sticks and mark it accordingly.

If tube was big enough, could be used as a fill, too.

May try this.....

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I spoke to ZF themselves about this after reading the same "lifetime" BS. They said "absolutely not, every 40-60k depending on usage"

Interesting thing. few years ago I was reading about it. ZF doesn't actually make it.

Stellantis does. ZF licenses it to them. All ones that say "Lifetime" are not actually made by ZF.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2016 1500 Ram Bighorn, 5.7 8 speed trans. 117,000 miles. First post here, I called local dealership for price on tranny fluid and filter change. They ask if I was having problems, I said no. Well they said for my PU the fluid and filter is for Life time, unless there is a problem they won't change it. I said nothing is life time and it ended. How true is this, Life time? I don't haul anything, no slippage, just thought it should be serviced. Thank you.
.... and the check is in the mail and I'll respect you in the morning... Uh Huh.
Dealers are notoriously self serving in the long game, and this culture is suborned by the manufacturers.

After all, if you really buy into "lifetime" fluids, then you are set up for certain premature death of your vehicle... and that spells a new sale for them. They ARE in the business of emptying your wallet in the long game.

Never have I seen ANY automobile or truck be "maintenance free". Laws of physics see to the eventual need to replace fluids as a part of maintenance.

Bottom line: Follow your gut and have the transmission serviced.

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've thought of using something like a holley carb sight glass,but you'd need a plug with an external hex head,instead of an internal allen hex. Another idea i've thought about is adding an external sight tube,like i did on my stand alone fuel cell,but that would entail drilling the pan and drilling and tapping the transmissions case.

Geez do you drive a pickup or an suv? Look how clean that bed is

Roadwarrior 1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I got the same answer back in the day. Mine is a '17 1500 5.7 and I changed it at 125k with Amsoil. I currently have 278k on it with no issues - truck is running strong except for the Hemi tick from broken manifold bolts.

Tedtruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2016 1500 Ram Bighorn, 5.7 8 speed trans. 117,000 miles. First post here, I called local dealership for price on tranny fluid and filter change. They ask if I was having problems, I said no. Well they said for my PU the fluid and filter is for Life time, unless there is a problem they won't change it. I said nothing is life time and it ended. How true is this, Life time? I don't haul anything, no slippage, just thought it should be serviced. Thank you.
Made the same phone call this morning for a 2015 1500 has 89,062 miles and was told if no problems don't do it. Because of assumed grit in the old fluid it could cause slippage. I bought the extended warranty and the warranty is wanting it in service record BUT the mechanic I called has a Dodge Ram Truck and I trust him a lot more So I'm opting to listen to his recommendation

OP
OP
J

JJFW831

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently did change the front and rear diff, and transfer case back in the fall. I'm planning now to do the tranny myself, once the weather breaks to the warmer. Thanks to all!

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I did 3 drain and fills when servicing my trans, I just shifted it from forward to reverse numerous times to adjust the level as shown in one of the videos. Am now wondering if it is correct as now many say have to let it shift to 2nd gear before adjusting the final level?
Would sure love to have a dip stick like was used for many years and worked great for refilling.

Chris85xlt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Shop is afraid they might be “married” to the vehicle. There’s a chance of problems for a first time fluid change with that many miles.
Might want to talk to some other shops and see what they say

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
I think at the moment, given current conditions where dealerships are making no money on their auto sales, they will charge everything they know they can aget away with just to keep their head above water. This is an ugly time for dealerships. They aren't looking to cut anybody a deal on service. They never were, but especially these days. This job is a very easy job and just takes patience and practicing the routine for the fluid check at the proper temp. The most critical is making sure you have the right level and checking fluid at the right temperature range as stated in the procedure that @Wild one shared.

LOFSFIRE

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 1500 CC Sport Copperhead Pearl & 2011 1500 CC Sport Black
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/ 8 speed ~ 5.7 Hemi w/ 6 speed
Shop is afraid they might be “married” to the vehicle. There’s a chance of problems for a first time fluid change with that many miles.
Might want to talk to some other shops and see what they say
Did mine with the PPE pan and Mopar Fluid at 126,000. I tow a medium trailer about 5,000 miles a year (2 axles 7.5'x30' long enclosed, empty 3500LBS fully loaded 6680LBS). My dealer would do the job but we all know that is not cheap... Called a trans shop, they said no problem, but I ended up doing it myself because an friend offered up his lift.

That was in December. I did not notice any shifting issues prior to the change and no difference after. I have about 2500 miles since then with 0 problems. 1000 of those miles was pulling my trailer.

Gero:
Geez do you drive a pickup or an suv? Look how clean that bed is
I have the Bedrug liner in my bed. I love it! Its technically plastic like the fuzzy side of Velcro tape. So it cleans very easily. It feels like carpet and has padding. It great for going to the drive-in movies. Hualing breakable items or thing you don't want scratched etc... At the same I have thrown and engin in there, loads of wood, snowmobiles etc. While it does clean up very easy, if I'm hauling something I know is going to make a mess I will put down a blue tarp. It's just less clean up in the end. Had a friend years ago the had a bedrug in a truck with no cover on the bed. It held up to everything he did with it including the weather elements, all four season of weather.

Only thing that can be a pain to clean out is wood splinters for split wood. I definitely use a blue trap when hauling wood for camping but I check over the carpet to make sure there are not rogue splinter stuck in the carpet nap afterwards.

I had one in my last truck too and will get one for the next truck. Spray in liner would be my next choice. The truck I bought for my son has a spray in liner. Since I have both available for use I obviously can now choose to use his for dirtier applications... But I will say hauling wood in his truck still leaves a mess to clean up. There are scuff marks, of course they are just cosmetic, but I have to have then cleaned off.