Dial Shifter Made My Life Easier

DIAL SHIFTER VS NO DIAL SHIFTER

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pezrock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Recently I read on the forum a thread in regards to the dial shifter. Most of the replies were in the negative. I'll admit the first time I used it in my 17' Ram, I felt like it was a girly way of shifting. As time went on I began to appreciate it. Now I have a 19' F150 with a column shifter (work truck) and a 19 Ram Classic with the dial shifter. I recently had right shoulder surgery. I am unable to even reach the column shifter in the F150. I am on week 2 since my surgery and am very happy for the dial shifter as all I have to do is move my body closer to it and turn the dial with my hand. Knowing what I know now and having gotten used to the dial shifter, if I had the choice this is what I would choose. My two cents.

terb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
steam
I'm a fan of the dial shifter too. But I did almost shift into park once when trying to adjust the radio. Only ONE time in 5 years.

How many times did you almost shift into reverse when adjusting the radio with a column shifter?

Jerrybob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I really like the dial shifter.....it brings out my feminine side and allows me to better relate to my wife, daughters and granddaughters when discussing girl related chit.

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I really like the dial shifter.....it brings out my feminine side and allows me to better relate to my wife, daughters and granddaughters when discussing girl related chit.

I’m sure wearing your wife’s dresses help with that too.

I know the voices in my head aren’t real, but man, do they ever come up with some great ideas.

16Ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was so use to a column shift or console shift after having them for twenty plus years it was quite the transition to a "shift knob".
It's quite the pain in the ass that you have to remove that little panel to get to manual override, just to be able to shift the transmission into neutral so you can push or pull your truck around

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
I still am not used to it after almost 5 months, but getting there.

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's quite the pain in the ass that you have to remove that little panel to get to manual override, just to be able to shift the transmission into neutral so you can push or pull your truck around

Your truck breaks down so much that you have to push or pull it around frequently? I’m glad I knew where that lever was when my truck broke down and I needed to push it out of the street.

I know the voices in my head aren’t real, but man, do they ever come up with some great ideas.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the column shifter in the RAM and dial shifter in my Durango. And in the last the dial is close to the center console. Wife used to hate the thing, same as me. I still wish I had an actual console shifter to replace the dial one.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Am I the only one that finds it odd that reaching for a column is uncomfortable, but reaching even further fo a dial isn't?

OP
OP
Pezrock

Pezrock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Am I the only one that finds it odd that reaching for a column is uncomfortable, but reaching even further fo a dial isn't?
You are probably not alone.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I assume you've never had major shoulder issues? I'd count your blessings. The issue is raising your arm to reach for the column. As he said, shifting his body to reach the dial does not induce strain on the shoulder. You could pretty easily use the column shift with your left hand, since it's not a manual and wouldn't require constant movement of it, but I can see it would just be easier with the dial. We all take for granted the simple actions of moving in certain ways, until we cant move in those ways anymore. I remember the 2 times I had back surgery, the number one "don't" my doctor told me was absolutely in no way to twist my body. Any turn I made, needed to be done by turning my entire body by stepping with my feet or rolling if I was laying in bed. It sounds simple enough, until you are laying on your back and trying to get out of bed. You have to really think about things and make a concerted effort to move in specific ways, because natural tendencies are to do things as we always have.

For me and my own taste, I neither like it or dislike it. It is a method to change gears and nothing more. If the truck had a column shifter, I would feel the same way. I do prefer a console shifter so I have a place to rest my hand, but I'm not bothered by the lack of one in the truck. I also do not understand how someone grabs the volume knob or AC knob instead. They are not really that close together, and are a completely different size. That is simply someone paying absolutely zero attention to anything they are doing, which is rather scary considering the size and power in the vehicle we are driving. Hopefully it was a lesson learned and doesn't happen again.

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
Last year, dial shifter convinced me to buy a 2018. No dial shifter.
I guess I'll never own a truck newer than 2018 for the rest of my life.