Did my Mopar 2" lift with 34" (pics)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ksn240

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The uca - whats different from the original?
I haven't seen the control arm from the mopar kit but I would assume it is at a different angle to allow for the lift. I put the Readylift control arms on when I leveled mine and the angle is drastically different from the factory ones. Allows for more movement and less risk of tearing something up.

Pnorth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven't seen the control arm from the mopar kit but I would assume it is at a different angle to allow for the lift. I put the Readylift control arms on when I leveled mine and the angle is drastically different from the factory ones. Allows for more movement and less risk of tearing something up.
Ok, so one theory I was presented with was that it is to correct the camber. When lifting, your camber will change so this is a correction for that....? Anyone?

ksn240

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok, so one theory I was presented with was that it is to correct the camber. When lifting, your camber will change so this is a correction for that....? Anyone?

Not necessarily. An alignment takes care of that and generally a 2" leveling kit wont throw it off so much to where it cant be properly aligned. When you lift the front of the truck it forces the end of the upper control arm (where the ball joint is) down, because the spindle is still the same size. When it does that, it forces the ball joint to slide further to the edge, limiting it's range of motion. The new control arms have corrected ball joint angles, so that the ball joints natural position is still in the middle of it's available range.

The 4th gens were notorious for having the upper ball joint ripped out of the socket as a result. Some people never had issues, a lot of them did. To me it is worth it for the peace of mind to replace the control arms

Pnorth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not necessarily. An alignment takes care of that and generally a 2" leveling kit wont throw it off so much to where it cant be properly aligned. When you lift the front of the truck it forces the end of the upper control arm (where the ball joint is) down, because the spindle is still the same size. When it does that, it forces the ball joint to slide further to the edge, limiting it's range of motion. The new control arms have corrected ball joint angles, so that the ball joints natural position is still in the middle of it's available range.

The 4th gens were notorious for having the upper ball joint ripped out of the socket as a result. Some people never had issues, a lot of them did. To me it is worth it for the peace of mind to replace the control arms
Thanks! Took a look at the Readylift kits. Looks good. I also see that AEV and BDS use what I guess is a taller knuckle/spindle instead of a different uca on their gen 4 lifts to adjust for the same. Probably easier to make a replacement uca. And perhaps there is a braking point at some height that makes it necessary to lengthen the spindle instead...?

ksn240

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks! Took a look at the Readylift kits. Looks good. I also see that AEV and BDS use what I guess is a taller knuckle/spindle instead of a different uca on their gen 4 lifts to adjust for the same. Probably easier to make a replacement uca. And perhaps there is a braking point at some height that makes it necessary to lengthen the spindle instead...?
Correct. Once you raise it past a certain height, a control arm with an adjusted ball joint angle isn't enough. A bigger spindle is needed to keep everything lined up properly and for proper steering.

Pnorth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Will be interesting to see if something will be introduced for the air suspension with this control arm... Guess Sema probably will be a big introduction ground to 2019 Ram solutions this year...