Disabling eTorque

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamminBeavers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm looking at buying a new Rebel, but I hesitate because all the ones I'm seeing have eTorque motors. I have absolutely 0 interest in the engine shutting down every time I stop. I travel a lot for work and every rental car I get has that "feature." It drives me crazy. It's they're something that can be done to disable it permanently on the eTorque models? Can you change the default to off? Or do you have to disable it every time you drive it?

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm looking at buying a new Rebel, but I hesitate because all the ones I'm seeing have eTorque motors. I have absolutely 0 interest in the engine shutting down every time I stop. I travel a lot for work and every rental car I get has that "feature." It drives me crazy. It's they're something that can be done to disable it permanently on the eTorque models? Can you change the default to off? Or do you have to disable it every time you drive it?

The dealership can get you one without the Etorque motor in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
To be clear, you’re not looking to disable eTorque (that’s the name for the entire semi-hybrid system), you’re looking to disable ESS (electric stop start).

atrupo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you driven one with ESS? You might find that the etorque Hemi is pretty good at starting and stoping. You may not mind it

OP
OP
R

RamminBeavers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you driven one with ESS? You might find that the etorque Hemi is pretty good at starting and stoping. You may not mind it
I've read up on it quite a bit more. Apparently the semi-hybrid motor will start you rolling as the engine kicks back on. That explains why so many people say they don't notice it. Seems crazy, but I'll drive one and find out.

Chris Wingardh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
eTourque is a POS! In Florida we have AC on most of the time. AC dont work without the engine running. I turn the Auto start/Off, off as often as I can remember. Further I am conviced the eTourqe makes for a jerky ride, downshift and up shift when it wants to. My old 2014 RAM was a much better vehicle and I get the same gas milage on the 2014 and the 2019, possibly the 2014 was a hair better.

I sure wish I knew about the eTourqe before I bought it. Too bad on an otherwise awesome truck!! Comments and suggestions please!

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Several of the new Gen5 trucks I test drove that had the e-torque system on it, all had a button on the gear change knob bezel area with a large A on it. Pushing that button turns off the start-stop engine thing. This has to be disabled though every time you start the truck.

flyingron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
You disable auto-stop by pushing a button on the dash (just below the 4WD controls if you have 4wd).
You don't have to touch eTorque.

rotts4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 e torque
I have E torque and choose NOT to disable the auto stop and start. Like many of you I assumed I would hate it, then I read more about it and watched a youtube video from a FCA engineer explaining how the whole torque system works. Pretty cool if you ask me.

Chris Wingardh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I too hate the ESS/eTourque. Yes I know about the button but in Florida its a PIA. I had a 2014, Wish I still had it, now I have 2019, and it shifts jerky and i cant shut the ess/etourque off permanently. They managed to turn a great truck in to a POS.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I too hate the ESS/eTourque. Yes I know about the button but in Florida its a PIA. I had a 2014, Wish I still had it, now I have 2019, and it shifts jerky and i cant shut the ess/etourque off permanently. They managed to turn a great truck in to a POS.
Just a heads up you already posted that on this thread. Plus nobody has posted here since January... so unless you really have problems than it seems you are just fishing for attention by posting the same thing again. If you have issues take it to the dealer so it can be reported and they can get a fix going for it if it’s an issue across multiple trucks. Plus the jerky shifting while driving shouldn’t have anything to do with the Etorque. More of a trans programming issue. Probably need the dealer to set relearn on the trans and that may fix the issue.

Zac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L ETorque
I have 2022, so far no peoblem. Stop/Start works fine. AC works fine. Default for Stop/start is on, that is standard. My 2019 Honda Default is on also.

Does anyone know where to buy eTourque 48V battery? Searching internet did not get any result.