Door expander

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For my 18 I had a key cut then hack sawed the ears off and taped to a wire that was accessible if locked out
I have only needed once when my wife lost her Jeep keys

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Crazy question. Just locked my keys in my truck for the second time. This time the engine was running/ Thank god for AAA. So here is my question. There are kits you can buy just like the ones the guy used. However where would I store it. If I lock my keeys in the truck that means all four doors and the tailgate are locked. I have a tonneau cover but cannot open it unless the tailgate comes down. Can't store it inside the truck obviously. Can't store it in the bed since I would not be able to get at it since the tailgate locks. Any suggestions on where it could be stored?
what year your truck? I have two RAMs, a 2017 and 2021. Neither of them will allow the truck to lock if the keys/fob is still in the truck. Running or not, makes no difference. Humm, curious why yours will lock. thanks.

Belvedere65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Carry a spare key in your wallet. I never go anywhere without my wallet.

My4x4tune

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Turbo Cummins
Crazy question. Just locked my keys in my truck for the second time. This time the engine was running/ Thank god for AAA. So here is my question. There are kits you can buy just like the ones the guy used. However where would I store it. If I lock my keeys in the truck that means all four doors and the tailgate are locked. I have a tonneau cover but cannot open it unless the tailgate comes down. Can't store it inside the truck obviously. Can't store it in the bed since I would not be able to get at it since the tailgate locks. Any suggestions on where it could be stored?
Not sure if you have the capabilities with your vehicle but if you want you could try the Mopar companion App. It allows you to open doors, lock, start, and give you limited vehicle status information all from your cellphone. I have it for my 2015 2500 and the similar for my wife’s Yukon. Might be worth a look for you or anyone else.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
I just checked my 19 with a window down,
the truck running and the fob in the console.
locked the doors opened my door then locked it with the push botton on the arm rest and closed the door.
It locked, I walked away when I came back it was still locked and running.
Reached in the window and unlocked the door opened it and got in.

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Isn't that how it's supposed to work? The fob is in the truck when you are in the truck. Try shutting the truck off and locking the fob inside. Mine won't let me do it.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
Responding to the wrong thread,

demonram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It would pay you to get in the habit of either looking in your hand and visually see your key fob in your hand, or reach into your pocket and feel your key fob with your fingers. All this technology makes us lazy and more inattentive about things that tend to be important.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Isn't that how it's supposed to work? The fob is in the truck when you are in the truck. Try shutting the truck off and locking the fob inside. Mine won't let me do it.
On the 2019's (I have DT/5th Gen), that only works 2 times. On the third try, U can lock the FOB in the truck when not running. Also, U can lock in if running also if U manually push down the drivers lock with the others locked, and close the door.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I bought my sister a lock box that slides in your hitch receiver and looks like a cover. It has a combination lock on it.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Put a spare key in a magnetic box made for them and stick it on your frame or similar spot.
Did not read the otehr 32 answers becasue this first one nailed it. Door expanders can easily tweak your door and they are a real problem to straighten back out.

MMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had a flat key made and stick it in my wallet.
The flat key can be used on the door, as well as the locking tailgate extender.
I do the same for my house key.
Haven't had to use them yet!

Davieboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I carry the fob for my 2020 RAM on a carabiner attached to my belt loop. It‘s always with me and is only removed at night when in for the evening. Certainly lots of choices but I learned the KISS principle years ago and try to adhere to it in most things..

Aggie86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
When I’m not using my Class IV hitch receiver I have an aftermarket hidden safe that slides inside of the 2 inch square hole. It contains a spare key and a $100 bill inside of a zip lock bag. I’ve had to use it twice. It saved me.
HitchSafe HS7000T Key Vault, Black
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I66JEM/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_a_Y07G1CFHWWSH6AK8S1M3

Threesuns1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
"Hide a Key" stuffed up in a body cut out under the cab somewhere. There are times when I'm fishing, I don't want keys, wallet, or cell phone because I know I plan on getting wet. I'm glad to hear we can still use a flat key with these new Rams.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I’m not using my Class IV hitch receiver I have an aftermarket hidden safe that slides inside of the 2 inch square hole. It contains a spare key and a $100 bill inside of a zip lock bag. I’ve had to use it twice. It saved me.
HitchSafe HS7000T Key Vault, Black
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I66JEM/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_a_Y07G1CFHWWSH6AK8S1M3
I seriously thought about getting this until I saw this video. Of course the LPL makes every lock look useless. But the plus is you can't start our trucks with the door key so I guess if it's just for a spare key then your fine. I wouldn't trust my fob in there.

Last edited:

Ram Night

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would simply go to a hardware store and have then cut you a flat spare key to put in your wallet. All you need to do is open the door with it.
I have been doing this since the 60's.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500