Door wiring fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02Hank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l V8
This topic has been touched on before but I wanted to post my experience with it. My rear passenger door on my 02 Quadcab had issues with the door speaker, dome light, and door lock not working. The old thread mentioned issues with wires breaking inside the wiring harness between the body and door. I slit open the rubber boot that houses the wires and found 5 severed wires. On further inspection, I found two more wires that had not severed, but broke inside the wire insulation. So in total ALL wires but one were broke. I was surprised the window still worked but the wire had a few strands still connected.

The easiest way to fix this is pull out the boot on the door side, and disconnect the electrical plug on the body side. Some said that you can’t take out the body side but that’s wrong. It’s very simple and the plug can be popped out once you remove the seatbelt plastic body panels. There are small prongs on either side of the plug. Simply use a small flathead screwdriver to push on either side of the plug from the inside and it pops out easily. I ended up extending ever wire and the excess wire is housed inside the door. Solder is best inside the boot with electrical tape wrapped around, but I used crimp connectors on the door side since they are not under tension inside the door.

Hope this helps!

54171946-0375-4BC3-99BA-FE9FB231D236.jpeg

EF2995FA-3FF2-4672-85BE-5F6415F33CF6.jpeg

301E458C-B4EA-4F1C-997E-D0064FAD36FF.jpeg

471C35CF-3737-4133-915D-259FBFF2D5BC.jpeg