Drag Link recall update per FCA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well, I had the adjuster sleeve jam nuts welded back in June 2019 on my '18 2500.
About a week ago I received an update from FCA re: How an alignment is performed after the welding!!! Nothing like keeping on top of a situation!
Here is a pic of the items included...FREE stickers!IMG_8086.jpg

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yep I received the same. I just laughed when I got it.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Me too, I'm going to take this to my alignment shop and pass it by them to make sure it is something that can be done.

jaflowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Glad I bought an aftermarket drag link. To deal with their stupid fix is insane.

BLUKTY2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Another approach is to just contact Ram Cares and insist on an updated drag link. I did this several years ago and so have many other RAM owners. There is no need to accept this welding-the-jamb-nuts "fix".

On the other hand, I didn't get any free stickers.....

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My question is, say the steering wheel is off center after the welding, but wasn't before. This means the dealership adjuster the drag link before welding.

Now, when you get a front end alignment the adjustment is at the tie rod ends. Fair enough, and easy to do. But, what if the drag link is welded to where one tie rod end is screwed into the tie rod almost all the way and the other side is now barely screwed into the tie rod to get proper toe in?

This could easily be a real situation if the drag link has been welded without first checking both tie rods for equal threads into the tie rod, the front end is actually in line, and the steering wheel is straight.

Anything less is shoddy workmanship.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Now, when you get a front end alignment the adjustment is at the tie rod ends. Fair enough, and easy to do. But, what if the drag link is welded to where one tie rod end is screwed into the tie rod almost all the way and the other side is now barely screwed into the tie rod to get proper toe in?

I would think your drag link would have to be miles off for the tie rod end to need to move that much. When I replaced my drag link the wheel was off by 40deg, which ended up being one or two turns of the sleeve to correct. Adjusting the tie rod to where the end is about to fall out seems unlikely.

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Near the end of the threads or a different amount of threads showing on each tie rod end, it's still not right, and caused by not doing a proper alignment before welding the drag link.

I would never do a half axxed job like that nor want mine done that way, like so many seem to have been done.

chaosh1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
FCA CAres got me a case a few months ago and got the dealership to pay for a replacement drag link. I'm glad i didn't wait or that's the answer they would have given me too.. If i got stuck like this i would just buy the synergy one.

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Me too, I'm going to take this to my alignment shop and pass it by them to make sure it is something that can be done.

Unfortunately a lot of you guys let them weld those nuts ,that was your first mistake . If you all remember the first recall was to check the threads in the sleeve for excessive play , over machining . If it was they replaced the drag link if not ,like mine they retorqued the nuts ,and sent you on your way . Then the second recall in their wisdom the permanent fix was to weld them all , that's where a lot of you guys went wrong , and you let them weld it . In reality if you passed the first recall you had a drag link that was not bad . The weld job was just a CYA recall . Every recall after that when I went in for it ,they mentioned I needed that drag link welded , I told then on a few occasions don't touch or weld that drag link ,there was nothing wrong with it .

I kept an eye on mine for nine years without a problem ,those nuts never loosened . Then this past spring I read a thread on another diesel forum where they were getting the new upgraded drag link replaced on the V06 recall if you contacted Ram Cares , which I did , why not get a free upgraded drag link . It was a simple process with a couple conversations with Ram Cares , they set me up with the dealer of my choice ,and I got it replaced .

My advice ,even if you got one that's welded ,you could go thru Ram Cares ,and get the upgraded one . If I had a welded one I would definitely get it replaced , that was never the correct way to repair a steering component .

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
FCA CAres got me a case a few months ago and got the dealership to pay for a replacement drag link. I'm glad i didn't wait or that's the answer they would have given me too.. If i got stuck like this i would just buy the synergy one.

Same here ,read above ,I went thru Ram Cares . Absolutely don't go thru a dealer ,you will never get anywhere. They have no idea what to do . Ram Cares is the one that contacts the dealer on what to do .

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Glad I bought an aftermarket drag link. To deal with their stupid fix is insane.
If only you were aware of getting with Ram Cares ,and getting the upgrade one done for free . I agree it was insane to weld them all , as said above it was just a CYA .

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Mine on 2014 for a period of time the nuts did not loosen up either, then it did. I think mine loosened due to the nexen tires breaking internal belts and failing on the fronts at a whopping 14k miles.

Units

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Bighorn
Engine
6.7l Cummins
Anyone know what years trucks are involved in the recall?

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Mine on 2014 for a period of time the nuts did not loosen up either, then it did. I think mine loosened due to the nexen tires breaking internal belts and failing on the fronts at a whopping 14k miles.
Did you go in , and have them check it on the first recall . It could of been a bad one to start

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Unfortunately a lot of you guys let them weld those nuts ,that was your first mistake . If you all remember the first recall was to check the threads in the sleeve for excessive play , over machining . If it was they replaced the drag link if not ,like mine they retorqued the nuts ,and sent you on your way . Then the second recall in their wisdom the permanent fix was to weld them all , that's where a lot of you guys went wrong , and you let them weld it . In reality if you passed the first recall you had a drag link that was not bad . The weld job was just a CYA recall . Every recall after that when I went in for it ,they mentioned I needed that drag link welded , I told then on a few occasions don't touch or weld that drag link ,there was nothing wrong with it .

I kept an eye on mine for nine years without a problem ,those nuts never loosened . Then this past spring I read a thread on another diesel forum where they were getting the new upgraded drag link replaced on the V06 recall if you contacted Ram Cares , which I did , why not get a free upgraded drag link . It was a simple process with a couple conversations with Ram Cares , they set me up with the dealer of my choice ,and I got it replaced .

My advice ,even if you got one that's welded ,you could go thru Ram Cares ,and get the upgraded one . If I had a welded one I would definitely get it replaced , that was never the correct way to repair a steering component .
It has been a long time since this occurred and I can't remember the events that surround the fix. I was never informed by my dealer they were going to weld the nuts, if I had known that I would not have allowed it. I did not realize they welded for the fix until I received the letter and the placards which made me go look and sure as s***, the nuts are welding in place.

I will contact @RamCares for a correct repair.

Rubesly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 ******* Diesle
I went to have an alignment done and was told by the dealer that I couldn't because of the weld. They insisted they had to replace the drag link and nut to do the alignment. I had to have the alignment so I paid the $900 to have it replaced. I recently got the same notice in the mail. I contacted Ram Cares, thanks to a recommendation on the forum, and I now have a case number and am keeping my fingers crossed that I get a reimbursement. I don't understand how the initial recall fix is even acceptable.

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It has been a long time since this occurred and I can't remember the events that surround the fix. I was never informed by my dealer they were going to weld the nuts, if I had known that I would not have allowed it. I did not realize they welded for the fix until I received the letter and the placards which made me go look and sure as s***, the nuts are welding in place.

I will contact @RamCares for a correct repair.

Whatever you were in there for ,and they did the weld , it should of been on your paperwork . Not surprised they did the welds . Knowing they would weld mine, I would tell them up front don't be welding those nuts . I also had been asked if I wanted them welded when they seen it was still an open recall .

RamCares should get you a replacement .

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I went to have an alignment done and was told by the dealer that I couldn't because of the weld. They insisted they had to replace the drag link and nut to do the alignment. I had to have the alignment so I paid the $900 to have it replaced. I recently got the same notice in the mail. I contacted Ram Cares, thanks to a recommendation on the forum, and I now have a case number and am keeping my fingers crossed that I get a reimbursement. I don't understand how the initial recall fix is even acceptable.

It seems many do not know , on the recall they said actually what they were going to do .

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I stopped by my tire shop (Belle Tire, a popular place to go in Michigan), and at first, they looked at it with a raised eyebrow. Said it was the first time they had seen anything like this. The service guy took the letter and placard back to the alignment guy and came back with "they would have to try it to see if it works", and "the cost would be outside of the standard alignment cost". Since I do not need an alignment there is no answer on the validity of RAM's welded nut alignment work-around.

The path forward is clear, the link will need to be replaced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ftank