Drag Link Recall ... Video

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

odinjunior

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just got this recall yesterday. Can't believe that the fix is to weld the nuts.

What is the torque value for the nuts? My torque wrench works just fine..

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I just got this recall yesterday. Can't believe that the fix is to weld the nuts.

What is the torque value for the nuts? My torque wrench works just fine..

The fix is either weld the nuts or replace the drag link adjuster. There’s a inspection procedure involved to determine if the adjuster needs to be replaced or just welded.

The likelihood of the adjuster actually requiring replacement is pretty rare. If we have a truck that needs one we can’t even order the parts, we have to contact star centre then they will order the parts. Funny thing is the new adjuster is just like old style clamp adjusters.

Everyone in my shop thinks it’s a pretty ******** repair. Who’s gonna pay to replace the adjuster next time the vehicle needs a alignment? Maybe in the future they will release a recall to replace the drag link, I dunno.

OP
OP
D

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
The fix is either weld the nuts or replace the drag link adjuster. There’s a inspection procedure involved to determine if the adjuster needs to be replaced or just welded.

The likelihood of the adjuster actually requiring replacement is pretty rare. If we have a truck that needs one we can’t even order the parts, we have to contact star centre then they will order the parts. Funny thing is the new adjuster is just like old style clamp adjusters.

Everyone in my shop thinks it’s a pretty ******** repair. Who’s gonna pay to replace the adjuster next time the vehicle needs a alignment? Maybe in the future they will release a recall to replace the drag link, I dunno.

Does any of the fixes effect the tire alignment?

Should a tire alignment be done after the fix?

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Does any of the fixes effect the tire alignment?

Should a tire alignment be done after the fix?

If toe needs to be adjusted, it is adjusted and steering wheel centrered before the recall is performed.

ViperJeff

USAF 421st Black Widows
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Recall done, welded

5045C464-E1A4-49BF-B51A-B0DFC4B1E771.jpeg

G. Mcpherson

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Ram 2500 CC SB Tradesman
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So i am wondering how you will center your steering wheel now after an alignment.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
I totally agree do we have to bring the truck in or can I just Torque it every oil change.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
My front end guy checked mine. Said they were tight. Put witness marks on them and said we will just keep an eye on them.

Tim McNulty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 ram 2500
Engine
6.4l
My front end guy checked mine. Said they were tight. Put witness marks on them and said we will just keep an eye on them.
Thank you, good to know as I just installed a thuren 3 inch kit and had to have that adjusted last week. I just got my letter about this today.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The "temporary" safety fix is done, not the recall. The recall solution is a replacement drag link. Make sure your dealer is aware of that.

Welding the adjuster is the recall, not a temporary fix before the recall.

Only certain vehicles get a new adjuster. Some model years automatically get a new adjuster, others only if they fail the inspection. Most vehicles will just get the adjuster welded.

As of right there is only a repair available for the 17-18 trucks. There is still no repair for the 13-16 trucks as of right now.

Last edited:

ViperJeff

USAF 421st Black Widows
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I have to laugh watching people get so worked up. I’ll cross the bridge of alignment when it comes. Til then, just going to enjoy my ride

odinjunior

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I spoke to my Dealer today. He said they had all the trucks on the lot welded as they can't be sold with the recall not done. However he drives a 2017 Ram and said that he will not have his done as long as welding is the fix. His recommendation is to make sure that the bolts are as tight as I can get them. So I'm gonna get a 41 MM wrench and go to work.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I spoke to my Dealer today. He said they had all the trucks on the lot welded as they can't be sold with the recall not done. However he drives a 2017 Ram and said that he will not have his done as long as welding is the fix. His recommendation is to make sure that the bolts are as tight as I can get them. So I'm gonna get a 41 MM wrench and go to work.

Just make sure you use another wrench to hold the adjuster while you tighten the jam nuts.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Had the recall done on my truck today and sure as **** they welded it. Now my question is if it has to be replaced next time I have an alignment done and the draglink has to be replaced because fca said weld it. Who’s buying the draglink??

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 4x4 C/C
Tradesman Power Wagon

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
That’s what everyone in my shop is wondering as well, but I haven’t heard anything from FCA about that. My only thought is that they will come out with another recall to replace the adjusters that were welded.

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That’s what everyone in my shop is wondering as well, but I haven’t heard anything from FCA about that. My only thought is that they will come out with another recall to replace the adjusters that were welded.
That’s a hell of a leap of faith to hope they have another recall to fix the welded ones, there is no way in hell I’d let them do that. I loctite’d mine when I cut them for my lift and they will stay that way.
The FCA fix is crap if you ask me.