Drag Link Recall ... Video

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
That’s a hell of a leap of faith to hope they have another recall to fix the welded ones, there is no way in hell I’d let them do that. I loctite’d mine when I cut them for my lift and they will stay that way.
The FCA fix is crap if you ask me.

It’s a big leap to think they’ll do that, I have my doubts they will. In all my years as a FCA tech I’ve never seen something this messed up that involved welding steering components.

Everyone pretty much feels the same way in the shop. If it was my truck I’d just loctitite it and keep an eye on it.

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It’s a big leap to think they’ll do that, I have my doubts they will. In all my years as a FCA tech I’ve never seen something this messed up that involved welding steering components.

Everyone pretty much feels the same way in the shop. If it was my truck I’d just loctitite it and keep an eye on it.
Exactly what I did, loctite and inspection. I had to cut the tabs off for the lift kit install, when I went to take it apart they were barely hand tight. I did the lift at only 5,000 miles. They haven’t loosened at all with the loctite and I’m now at 33,000.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That’s a hell of a leap of faith to hope they have another recall to fix the welded ones, there is no way in hell I’d let them do that. I loctite’d mine when I cut them for my lift and they will stay that way.
The FCA fix is crap if you ask me.

“Cut them for my lift”? Huh?

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
If I’d have known they were going to be welding on my truck I would have refused the recall repair. But then what would happen to my warranty and repercussions from fca?
I’m afraid I’d be **** up a creek without a paddle

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 4x4 C/C
Tradesman Power Wagon

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cut what? What tabs? Arent we talking about the drag link adjuster here?
Yes, if you have ever had that adjuster apart there are tabs on the end of the drag link and the end of the tie rod that prevent them from spinning. Most lifts require you flip the tie rod end upside down to fit the new pitman arm. So yes, I’m talking about the drag link, see the pic, where the threads end there is a tab, the drag link has the mating tab on the end.
C83AB669-7BE7-4EB5-896E-752CB71D81DF.jpeg

Last edited:

jaflowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
You would think the simple fix is just loosening up one nut at a time from the drag link, putting on some red locktite and retightening up the nut to the link......then do the other one. Worst case would be to use some rocksett instead of locktite, no way the nuts would come loose then. I'm not a mechanic so maybe I'm missing something.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Most lifts require you flip the tie rod end upside down to fit the new pitman arm.

Im not really sure what the tie rod would have to do with the pitman arm connection...

But I think im following you. When you flip the drag link connection at the pitman arm, you have to cut that tab off to allow it to spin 180... correct?

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im not really sure what the tie rod would have to do with the pitman arm connection...

But I think im following you. When you flip the drag link connection at the pitman arm, you have to cut that tab off to allow it to spin 180... correct?
Exactly, didn’t know what to call the little end of the drag link but you get the idea.

afp89060

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L I6
Has anyone considered the MOOG DS800985S steering drag link Adjusting sleeve to replace the OEM version? If so, What would be some general thoughts about that approach? I’m not keen on the idea of welding it. If a non adjustable part was acceptable, they would have designed the truck that way from the factory.

First post noob, so forgive me if this has been discussed elsewhere.

RamCracker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Got the recall yesterday, 2018, 7800 miles, new from dealer, haven’t had any service yet. Slid under to take a look, was already marked, and one of the nuts wasn’t even hand tight.. what a joke ! If they knew to mark it, before selling to me, why not at least weld it. WTF! Guess should be thankful for recall notice !

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Got the recall yesterday, 2018, 7800 miles, new from dealer, haven’t had any service yet. Slid under to take a look, was already marked, and one of the nuts wasn’t even hand tight.. what a joke ! If they knew to mark it, before selling to me, why not at least weld it. WTF! Guess should be thankful for recall notice !

The nuts were likely marked from the factory.

RamCracker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Ok, agreed, but the issue been around a couple of years, takes that long for them to come up with weld it, is what blows my mind. Read where 660,000 are on recall list for this issue, starting 2013. Is an adjustable drag link, like since horse & buggy days. Anyways, thanks for the word.

jaflowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Looked at mine this afternoon, both marked with blue and both still super tight. Don't think I'll let the weld them when it does finally go in for the next service.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Got my notice over the weekend. Says they will check torque spec on the nuts and if ok weld them? If they are loose the drag link gets replaced.

What a joke! They should be replacing all the drag links and not doing a half ass band aid weld fix.

No way I'd allow mine to be welded. How would you set the steer-ahead adjustment if you allow them to be welded? That makes no sense. Few things irritate me more then a steering wheel that's not centered when your going straight down the road, as mine is perfect now.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
The recall lists models through 2017...Mine is a 2018 and I got a recall letter. I am not going to let them do it. When I leveled the truck, I took it to the dealer and had them set the toe to zero. The adjuster nut came loose less than 500 miles later. I re-centered the steering wheel, put loctite on the nuts, and cranked down on them until my voice squeeked. No more problems.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got my notice over the weekend. Says they will check torque spec on the nuts and if ok weld them? If they are loose the drag link gets replaced.

What a joke! They should be replacing all the drag links and not doing a half ass band aid weld fix.

No way I'd allow mine to be welded. How would you set the steer-ahead adjustment if you allow them to be welded? That makes no sense. Few things irritate me more then a steering wheel that's not centered when your going straight down the road, as mine is perfect now.

Then just loosen the nuts up the day you take it to the dealer. Problem solved.

Blazin383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Waiting for a few more people to get killed before deciding if it’s worth fixing. Don’t want to jump to conclusions

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Then just loosen the nuts up the day you take it to the dealer. Problem solved.

Could...but Shouldn't have to be dishonest to have a proper fix done.

They should be replacing all the drag links period. They do the weld fix because it's cheap and most people don't know any better so they get away with it. That ain't right IMO.

I like this truck but getting recalls every other month on a truck that's been in production as long as my 17 has is a joke. No reason this stuff shouldn't have been ironed out by now. Again my opinion.