Drag Link Recall ... Video

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Could...but Shouldn't have to be dishonest to have a proper fix done.

They should be replacing all the drag links period. They do the weld fix because it's cheap and most people don't know any better so they get away with it. That ain't right IMO.

I like this truck but getting recalls every other month on a truck that's been in production as long as my 17 has is a joke. No reason this stuff shouldn't have been ironed out by now. Again my opinion.

I completey understand and agree.

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Could...but Shouldn't have to be dishonest to have a proper fix done.

They should be replacing all the drag links period. They do the weld fix because it's cheap and most people don't know any better so they get away with it. That ain't right IMO.

I like this truck but getting recalls every other month on a truck that's been in production as long as my 17 has is a joke. No reason this stuff shouldn't have been ironed out by now. Again my opinion.
Actually I think they are doing the weld fix because they do not yet have a redesigned drag link to replace it with. Everything I have read says that a replacement drag link is not yet available. It’s still a joke and nothing a little loctite can’t fix or even better add a second set of nuts to jam against the two that are there and it will never move.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If they insist on welding something, why are they not welding tangs on each end of the drag link that will push on the nut and prevent the nuts from moving?

At least that is undo-able when (if?) they figure out a real fix.

6thdiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Anyone know what MY 2019 and above drag link configuration is? Did they add a locking feature?

odinjunior

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have they fixed the problem on the new trucks?

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone know what MY 2019 and above drag link configuration is? Did they add a locking feature?
You already have a 2019 2500/3500? I have no clue if it’s the same design or not but wanted to see how ya like the new HD truck?
If you have the 2019 1500, that is a completely different suspension.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Actually I think they are doing the weld fix because they do not yet have a redesigned drag link to replace it with. Everything I have read says that a replacement drag link is not yet available. It’s still a joke and nothing a little loctite can’t fix or even better add a second set of nuts to jam against the two that are there and it will never move.
THAT there makes more sense then doing ne thing else, Easy to back off locking nut, adjust, redo locking nut, such an old time but smart as heck Fix

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI

There is a new adjuster released, but very few vehicles will get one.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
They will never weld mine, but my question to those that do get it welded. Have you asked the dealer who covers the additional cost when you get an alignment done? An alignment shop isn't going to cut that weld out and if they do they will charge extra for it. And after that who welds it back? Again, the alignment shop isn't going to do it, not without charging more (if they even have the ability to do it)

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They will never weld mine, but my question to those that do get it welded. Have you asked the dealer who covers the additional cost when you get an alignment done? An alignment shop isn't going to cut that weld out and if they do they will charge extra for it. And after that who welds it back? Again, the alignment shop isn't going to do it, not without charging more (if they even have the ability to do it)

Exactly, this is a crap “fix” if I ever saw one.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Enjoy your free lifetime alignment, courtesy of FCA!

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
If Ramcare is monitoring. They need to go to Reid in Michigan and make him aware of what the third world people in this company are doing. This kind of ignorant, to hell with the customer and the Brand attitude is a reflection of his ability to protect and manage the Brand. This is as disgusting as it gets. Valve train issues that they do not want to hear about. Exhaust leaks that they cannot fix. If he realy cares and wants to make a difference, the fix/solution is simple. Get the vendor management, assembly and parts quality people in one room. Tell them they have 90 days to save their positions and reputation in the industry. No fix,,no future. This Brand has come to far from the funk and fit Dodge crap days to give it up now. They get too many other things right.

Last edited:

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The almighty dollar wins out.

While we are vocal on this forum, chances are they sell FAR more trucks that dont have these issues or they are sold to people that just arent that in tune to the web, forums, etc. As long as it gets fixed under warranty they are happy. I think we would all be surprised at the number of people who just say eff it and trade in their truck for something new or just live with crappy treatment from RAM/FCA.

I think most (all?) of us on this forum are exceptions to the rule. We want our stuff to be perfect and last forever, but most of the world couldn't care less if their truck lasts 10 years because they only need to get through 2 or 3 before they "need" something new. Need in quotes because they didnt wear out what they had, they are just bored with it and are enamored by latest and greatest and of course the "cheap" financing for 8+ years.

Im on the side of you guys....crap fixes just make the trucks seem like crap. Welding the nuts is a perfect way for them to keep it together until its outside of warranty. I am sure they wold be more than happy to take even more of your hard earned money if you try to get them to align it and they see the nuts are welded.

I could understand if it is an urgent emergency, but this does not seem to be. And even if it were, there are many better alternatives like red loctite, some form of safety wire or tab to prevent extra movement from the nuts, etc. Red loctite is probably even easier than welding, their 16 year old oil change jockies could be assigned to it.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I spoke to my Dealer today. He said they had all the trucks on the lot welded as they can't be sold with the recall not done. However he drives a 2017 Ram and said that he will not have his done as long as welding is the fix. His recommendation is to make sure that the bolts are as tight as I can get them. So I'm gonna get a 41 MM wrench and go to work.
Remember,

Tight is good....
Too tight is broken!

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had this happen to my 2nd gen. Had an alignment done at Firestone and luckily I was going down a dirt road slowly. All the sudden I couldn't steer. Come to find out the tech could not loosen my bolts and cut them and used regular bolts that came loose. A tow later they dogs nothing about it wouldn't even realign it.

I didn't know this was a problem so thanks for posting this!

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
It is truly ashame (and FCA should be embarrassed) that the "fix" for this issue is welding nuts on a drag link that has an adjustment there for a reason, so steer ahead can be set during alignment.

For those considering allowing the weld understand that once welded the only way to set steer ahead is by disconnecting the tie rod ends from the steering knuckles one at a time till it's as close as they can get it while keeping the toe setting within spec.

I dont consider that a "fix" at all. It's something that I'd expect to be done in someone's back yard who doesn't care about doing the job right, just wants it done as cheaply as possible. This is about as unprofessional as it gets in my opinion but I've been spinning wrenches for over 30 years now and was taught to do things the right way or not at all.

I'll loosen mine up, apply blue lock tight, re tighten them, mark them and then monitor them. Address it if it happens again. The suggestion of adding a set of jamb nuts was a good one. Lock those down and it would not go anywhere.

I've owned Honda's and when they do need recalls (rare) when they implement a fix it's usually a good one, professional and done. The big 3 still have a lot to learn from them it seems...

Again just my opinion.....I was very disappointed when I read the details of the proposed fix.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
I have to laugh watching people get so worked up. I’ll cross the bridge of alignment when it comes. Til then, just going to enjoy my ride
Wouldn’t laugh.... for some myself included I get alignments pretty frequently. Between suspension work and I actually off-road in my truck it’s cheaper to do an alignment and have it checked a few times a year vs waiting for tires to be bad. There will be no welding of my nuts..... but I do check them now

ViperJeff

USAF 421st Black Widows
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Wouldn’t laugh.... for some myself included I get alignments pretty frequently. Between suspension work and I actually off-road in my truck it’s cheaper to do an alignment and have it checked a few times a year vs waiting for tires to be bad. There will be no welding of my nuts..... but I do check them now
I remember those days.....

Ramcrawler17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Just signed up for the forum to post here. I got the recall notification last week and had the "fix" done yesterday on my 2017 with 11k miles on it. I take my ram to the dealer for all service and they are pretty decent so I let them do it. Everything was tight so only the welds were done, draglink was not replaced. I dont expect to pay more for an alignment if it's needed in the future.

IMG_20190407_194502.jpg

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So if the issue is that the nuts are loose enough that they can back themselves off (even when torqued to spec), once both nuts are tack welded to the drag link, will the WHOLE THING now be able to move also?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jems007