Driver side rear door alignment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beerthirty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi v8
Hi Folks,

I have a question related to an issue on my new Ram that may also be somewhat of a warranty question.

I recently purchased a new 2019 big horn 1500. I've had it for about two months now and I really haven't driven it much since I work from home and all the stay-at-home due to Coronavirus and such... Anyway, I just happened to notice something i'm not happy with. On the driver side, the rear door panel sticks out about 1/8" near the bottom portion of the door so that it is not flush when closed.

After doing some research, it unfortunately seems to be a fairly common issue on this truck. Since this is my first new vehicle ever, I'm a bit bothered that it's not "perfect" so I'd like to take the appropriate steps to get this adjusted. Here's where my questions/issues begin:

I purchased the truck out-of-state (about 3-hrs away) and I was under the impression that any qualifying warranty work could be done at any licensed Ram dealer. Well, I took it to my local Ram dealer just down the road to look at, and they told me they couldn't do anything about it. They said the door issue was not something they could fix and likely needed a body shop to align. They told me I should contact the dealer I purchased the vehicle from for next steps. So here's my problem. I don't feel like going down that road of taking my truck on a 6-hr road trip to get this issue fixed. I guess i'm looking for clarification on if I truly have to contact the original dealer and go through that whole dog and pony show, or if my local guy is just feeding me a bunch of BS.

Thanks!

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi Folks,

I have a question related to an issue on my new Ram that may also be somewhat of a warranty question.

I recently purchased a new 2019 big horn 1500. I've had it for about two months now and I really haven't driven it much since I work from home and all the stay-at-home due to Coronavirus and such... Anyway, I just happened to notice something i'm not happy with. On the driver side, the rear door panel sticks out about 1/8" near the bottom portion of the door so that it is not flush when closed.

After doing some research, it unfortunately seems to be a fairly common issue on this truck. Since this is my first new vehicle ever, I'm a bit bothered that it's not "perfect" so I'd like to take the appropriate steps to get this adjusted. Here's where my questions/issues begin:

I purchased the truck out-of-state (about 3-hrs away) and I was under the impression that any qualifying warranty work could be done at any licensed Ram dealer. Well, I took it to my local Ram dealer just down the road to look at, and they told me they couldn't do anything about it. They said the door issue was not something they could fix and likely needed a body shop to align. They told me I should contact the dealer I purchased the vehicle from for next steps. So here's my problem. I don't feel like going down that road of taking my truck on a 6-hr road trip to get this issue fixed. I guess i'm looking for clarification on if I truly have to contact the original dealer and go through that whole dog and pony show, or if my local guy is just feeding me a bunch of BS.

Thanks!

I'd ask them what they do for customers that did buy their vehicle from them, that then needed bodywork done under warranty. Cause the answer they are giving you makes it sound like they literally have no procedure in place for that at all, which is not believable. I've never bought a ram locally and have had warranty work done at my local dealers without issue, so I think they are just trying to get rid of you. Do they really tell their own customers to call around to other dealers to try to get warranty work done?

The ram I currently have I bought lightly used, out of my area, and currently have paint bubbling on the hood. My local dealers also do not have body shops, and at first tried doing the same thing to me until I asked them that question of what would they tell a customer that did buy from them? After that they told me to contact another local dealer (mega dealer) that had a large body shop, as they sub contract the work out to them when the situation arises. Why I had to call them out on their non sensical bs to find that out? Who knows, typical dealer stuff unfortuanately, but they'd have to have some system in place since these things do have warrantys on them, including the paint. My claim is still waiting for approval from FCA and I also suspect it's getting dragged out due to how things are currently. I might just trade it in anyway.

As for the issue you are having, I do recall seeing some other members post about it in the past and remember seeing the problem resolved. Can't remember if it was a simple fix or not, hopefully someone can help out with that information. Anytime you can avoid a trip for warranty work I would, but if it's expensive or complicated then I understand taking it in.