Dyno tests of drop-in air filters?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AE5548

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Although not a Ram, this falls into what the thread starter was asking. It's an F150 dyno run with a paper filter, then a K&N, then no filter on an otherwise stock truck. The K&N added 5HP and 3 Ft lbs of torque max. With an average HP increase of 1HP. You wouldn't even be able to feel 5HP more at full throttle. And a 1HP average increase? Haha.

It's no secret K&N filters are worthless on otherwise stock trucks. The cost of the filter and risks they present for engine wear for the laughable HP increases proves this time and time again. Buy a good quality paper filter and change it at a decent interval. Don't be a sucker and buy one of these things.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey AE, Matt mentioned the K+N. Maybe you missed that.

Should I believe your opinion, or a publication with a dyno?

Often threads go off topic.

AE5548

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey AE, Matt mentioned the K+N. Maybe you missed that.

Should I believe your opinion, or a publication with a dyno?

Often threads go off topic.

I read the screenshot you posted. The one where he says the truck has an 85mm throttle body. That’s not a stock truck. A larger TB will flow more air then stock so it will logically perform better with a filter that flows more than the stock system. And what opinion do I have that contradicts a dyno test? I posted a video of a dyno test on a stock truck. With no intake mods.

The reason why nobody can find a video of a bone stock truck seeing a significant horsepower increase with a K&N filter only is because it doesn’t exist.

Last edited: