Dyno tests of drop-in air filters?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thunder240

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone seen any dyno results showing before/after hp and torque of any aftermarket air filters? I know it’s a long shot, since dyno isn’t free. Interested to know if there any performance gains to be had with any brand of drop-in replacement for my 2019 Ram 1500 Classic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are some proven CAI with data on the forum, I’ve seen it, just don’t remember where. Try searching Varram.

but I don’t think it’s actual dyno numbers, but track times. Along with personal testing.

Last edited:

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Any possible gains from just an air filter would likely be within the margin of error that you couldn’t definitively prove it actually did anything.

If you start looking at different intake setups, there can be some gains but even then it’s not much. Upgrading the air intake is more of stepping stone/supporting mod for other mods that will have noticeable gains.

OP
OP
T

Thunder240

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys. I found the track time reports with the Vararam Air Grabber. I may ultimately go that direction, or S&B or aFe CAI. (I have no interest in an open box.) With or without air intake, I’m also planning to do Borla cat-back exhaust, and maybe a tune.

Aftermarket CAI appears to be controversial, with several people on this forum claiming that any performance gains are just a result of the air filter, since the stock air box is a CAI. This is the reason I asked for data on drop-in air filters.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There's the ecodiesel airbox/filter upsize - I don't want to call it an upgrade because it almost definitely does nothing whatsoever except maybe change the engine's NVH at certain rpm & loads. Too many people use the word "upgrade" when there's not actually any up, they're just changing something and not necessarily for the better.

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
I got a K&N drop in filter, did it help idk.. I was just at auto zone bored buying

clint440

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks guys. I found the track time reports with the Vararam Air Grabber. I may ultimately go that direction, or S&B or aFe CAI. (I have no interest in an open box.) With or without air intake, I’m also planning to do Borla cat-back exhaust, and maybe a tune.

Aftermarket CAI appears to be controversial, with several people on this forum claiming that any performance gains are just a result of the air filter, since the stock air box is a CAI. This is the reason I asked for data on drop-in air filters.

Best bang for buck and where you feel a big difference is a tune. Dropping 300 to 400 on a CAI for marginal results can go towards a custom tune. My pickup came with a KN CAI, and if I had the factory parts, I'd probably just put factory CAI back on it. The Hemi is held back by sleepy factory tuning. In terms of best measurable results, custom tune is first MOD to start with.

E fan conversion is a good low buck modification, better throttle response as it takes some weight off the crank.

If that's not enough a header combination is another significant upgrade.

Borla sounds great but the back half of the factory exhaust isn't that bad, it's the front half with the manifolds, CATs, and crushed Y pipe on where the restrictions are at. You could just add a Borla muffler in place of the big factory muffler to get the sound upgrade, but like I said the restriction is near the engine, not the back.

OP
OP
T

Thunder240

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’d love to do headers, but unfortunately I have CARB to contend with [emoji35]I’ll research h to see if there are any that are CARB exempt, but I’m not holding my breath.

Thanks everyone for all of this info! It’s very helpful.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’d love to do headers, but unfortunately I have CARB to contend with [emoji35]I’ll research h to see if there are any that are CARB exempt, but I’m not holding my breath.

Thanks everyone for all of this info! It’s very helpful.

I hear you, I'm in the same situation. Everything here has to be CARB certified with an excempt number. The only CARB certified header for our trucks as far as I know is the JBA shorty headers. While they make the exhaust sound better they don't add a whole lot of power...

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I dropped mpg with a free flow drop in air filter - that was the only performance change I noticed.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As has been said--the stock airbox system works pretty damn good until you start to bolt on a bunch of mod's. That is when an aftermarket CIA system really helps. For best performance I think Vararam is the best choice unless you are racing every weekend then the best is the "track intake" custom made by Moe's Performance.
Jay

Joe Pitz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check out this video from Project Farm, he does automotive product comparisons videos. Here is a video where he compares flows and inches of H20
numbers and 0-60 times using various aftermarket filters. He also scores ability of filter to clean the air.

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From what I have read.. the computer is going to adjust to whatever intake you put on it. If its a stock you wont get anything really.

That being said I am a intake guy. I always swap it out.... but thats just me!

AE5548

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The factory air box is a good cold air intake design. Don’t waste $300-400 on an aftermarket intake. Just install a green filter. Save your money for a tune.

Yep, a good quality paper filter in the stock box is all that's needed unless you're making major changes like a bigger throttle body and headers, tune, porting, etc. And no K&N or gauze type filters if you want the engine to last. They offer no HP improvement and no $$ saved in filter costs.

AE5548

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check out this video from Project Farm, he does automotive product comparisons videos. Here is a video where he compares flows and inches of H20
numbers and 0-60 times using various aftermarket filters. He also scores ability of filter to clean the air.

That's a great video and their have been many many more doing similar comparisons. Nobody has ever disputed the airflow of K&N filters. But one thing too many people overlook is the amount of dirt these things let flow by. When i had my 01.5 Cummins i had a bigger turbo, exhaust, intake, etc. Lots of modes so i added a huge K&N filter known as the RE-0880. The airflow was great compared to stock. But when i did my next oil sample (every 10k) my silica levels were much higher. The inside of the turbo inlet hose was covered in a film of dirt too. I cleaned it all up, did an oil change then took another sample 10k miles later. Silica levels were even higher!. Tube had the dirt layer again. I even had dirt on the turbo compressor side blades. Then i started watching all the tests. They would put cheese cloth over the intake and run Paper, K&N, Amsoil, AFE, etc for the same mileage. Paper filter showed no dirt. All the other high flow filters pass dirt. And a stock setup it's just common sense. If you increase airflow dramatically without increasing the size of the plate filter then their is no other explanation than you have larger holes in the filter media. And allowing more dirt into an engine is NEVER a good thing. Certainly not for laughable HP gains.

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Stock muffler has to be much more restricted then a straight through no? Its gotta add a few ponys and sound better doing it!

Joe Pitz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@AE5548, yes I was going to pick up a K & N until I watched this video, More than likely I will get one of the other filters, he mentions that still has good flow, but better cleaning ability.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
IMG_2166.jpg IMG_2168.jpg The man with experience (not me!) is not at the mercy of a man with an opinion.

AE5548

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
View attachment 213986 View attachment 213985 The man with experience (not me!) is not at the mercy of a man with an opinion.

The bottom dyno tests were from an 06' with headers. An intake system will typically give you bigger gains with other mods. So it's not really a useful number to go by. Highly unlikely you will see a 10hp gain on an otherwise stock truck.

All that aside, the thread starter was asking for dyno tests on drop in filters. Not inductions.

Last edited: