E-Fans??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BoDuke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Has anybody successfully swapped to e-fans on a 5.9l 360? Im interested in it and would like to know more about it.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I run a single 17 or 18" fan (forget which) from a 1995 Ford Thunderbird 4.6L. OE fans like that have a bit higher amperage draw but are SOOO much more effective than most aftermarket units unless you spend big money. It's a 2spd fan that produces over 3000cfm on low, almost 4000 on high. I run dual auxiliary temp sensors to a relay control unit, low comes on at 185, high comes on at 200. It's wonderful, hell the low rarely even comes on with a 180 tstat.

Edit: my relay kit that I have is unfortunately no longer available. Its awesome though.

OP
OP
BoDuke

BoDuke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
I run a single 17 or 18" fan (forget which) from a 1995 Ford Thunderbird 4.6L. OE fans like that have a bit higher amperage draw but are SOOO much more effective than most aftermarket units unless you spend big money. It's a 2spd fan that produces over 3000cfm on low, almost 4000 on high. I run dual auxiliary temp sensors to a relay control unit, low comes on at 185, high comes on at 200. It's wonderful, hell the low rarely even comes on with a 180 tstat.

Edit: my relay kit that I have is unfortunately no longer available. Its awesome though.

I was hoping you would post on this with some awesome knowledge and you did. Which is great, but i do have a few questions really about the wiring and how you did it. I already have the 180 tstat but the deal with mine is that its a new body style 02 with the 360 would that change everything?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I was hoping you would post on this with some awesome knowledge and you did. Which is great, but i do have a few questions really about the wiring and how you did it. I already have the 180 tstat but the deal with mine is that its a new body style 02 with the 360 would that change everything?
I don't see how the newer body style would change anything other than your specific mounting setup for the fan itself. The wiring won't be any different if you used the same harness. Problem with that is it's not available anymore. You'd have to find another harness

OP
OP
BoDuke

BoDuke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
I don't see how the newer body style would change anything other than your specific mounting setup for the fan itself. The wiring won't be any different if you used the same harness. Problem with that is it's not available anymore. You'd have to find another harness
Could you post some pics of your set up so i can get an idea of how it works and ill keep searching for a harness

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I don't have any pics right now and I'm not sure I want to post any lol its UGLY. I was in a bit of a hurry and didn't care about looks so it's PRETTY GHETTO lol. But, it functions beautifully.

Ideally, you'd get some stainless sheetmetal and build a custom shroud 2-3" deep for the fan to bolt to. This would make sure it functions at max potential, looks great and clears up room in the engine bay which is one of the benefits of efans.

What I did: took a sawzall to the bottom of the factory shroud and the back of the shroud closest to the engine. Took some flat steel and drilled holes in it. Bolted flat steel to plastic radiator shroud mounts and put the shroud over that. It's super ghetto and I'll be redoing it when the new engine goes in. But it works amazing right now lol

OP
OP
BoDuke

BoDuke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
I was doing some more digging and it seems alot are just mounting the fan to the radiator its self and putting the shroud back on around it. Which would be better?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
The 95 t bird fan is nice in the fact that it produces a ton of air and is like $60 on rockauto brand new. However, it had its own plastic shroud thing on it rather than being a round cage with bolt holes. Makes it more difficult to mount

OP
OP
BoDuke

BoDuke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
I am looking around and i think i might do dual fans one for low and one to kick on with the low for high. Is that even possible?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Definitely possible. Fan controllers come in both dual fan and single. I think 2 single controllers might be easier to do for something like that. 1 come on at say 180 and the other at 195 or 200. Plenty of different versions available.

OP
OP
BoDuke

BoDuke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Definitely possible. Fan controllers come in both dual fan and single. I think 2 single controllers might be easier to do for something like that. 1 come on at say 180 and the other at 195 or 200. Plenty of different versions available.
Sweet i thin that would work best for me. I use mine as a work truck no performance really other than red light to red light lol but i do alot of towing with it

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I hear yeah. I do about anything and everything with mine and it works well for me. Very happy with the conversion