E-Torque Start Stop VS Bearings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I use a Auto Start Eliminator and my start stop stuff is off all the time.

I used one of those too when I had a truck with etorque. Our current 5th gen doesn't have it so it's all good.

For those that rent their truck and get a new one every few years, it's a non issue. For those that keep their trucks, this is going to be an expensive headache at some point down the road.

Stop-start has been around for over 5 years and has not presented a problem yet. I have not seen or heard any valid reasoning for not using it. You paid for it, it does some good why turn off something that you can't really tell if it's on or not? Any downside you have mentioned is something you think might happen in 5-10 years.

Too soon to know for sure after such a short time with stop/start tech. 5 years just isn't enough time to analyze long term life effects from stopping and starting the engine. Are you actively researching these data on engine longevity with stop/start? Otherwise your not having seen or heard any valid reasoning for disabling it means nothing.

Because you don't justify turning it off doesn't mean anything to those of us who disable it. It's your opinion, which is worth exactly the same as everyone else's.

As far as paying for it, anyone who bought a truck with etorque after 2020 didn't pay any more for it. It was a zero dollar option over the non-etorque hemi. Even in 2020 it was only something like $200 more for it. 2019 buyers who bought etorque hemi's are the one's who paid a lot more for it.

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What if you don’t use it the auto start/stop are you doing more damage than just using it. Will the use of the feature add life to the engine as it is not running while sitting motionless?

What if a meteor hits the planet tomorrow.

yrraljguthrie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
etorque5.7
Even if you go through 50 start-stop cycles every time you drive, and assuming you drive every single day, that's still well under 20,000 on/off cycles each year. That isn't too bad of a workout. “Wear and tear" is only an issue when cold and when stop-start doesn't function. This engine wear is not a result of starting up but a result of lack of oil on internal parts, and the very slight size difference of cold parts that haven't warmed up yet. Yet neither of those issues is a factor in start-stop systems, because there is no huge fuel consumption or cold metal-on-metal contact when starting a warmed-up engine. Also in the etorque system, the etorque motor is doing the initial start so even less wear. There is no additional load on the 12-volt battery since the etorque system supplies the power. Most tests done by independent entities show that stop-start will save about 10% in gas consumption when used in areas with a moderate number of stops. If it's hot and the AC is working that saving drops to about 2 %. In the etorque system there should be less drop since the etorque battery is doing the starting and it is recharged at least somewhat by regenerative braking. Stop-start technology was first used in 1935. It is used today in many cars, especially European. Ford has had the system available since 2015 on its F-150. It's actually a pretty well-proven technology. And it does indeed save fuel, I've actually read several of the independent test results. There is no doubt. If you don't like the feel and can't adapt then that's fine, but it's a feature that helps fuel efficiency with very, very little downside.

yrraljguthrie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
etorque5.7
What if you don’t use it the auto start/stop are you doing more damage than just using it. Will the use of the feature add life to the engine as it is not running while sitting motionless?

What if a meteor hits the planet tomorrow. :)

What if you do use the stop-start and in 10 years there is some minor damage.
Same thing: What if a meteor hits the planet the day after tomorrow?

That answer is invalid for either scenario. It doesn't work.

yrraljguthrie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
etorque5.7
Actually, the bottom line is I disabled it. Doesn't matter why.

Actually, M, you are a senior member, I'd like to think such a senior member would have some valid reason for their posts, not just, "I don't like it, I don't know why, but maybe I'll make something up"

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Actually, the bottom line is I disabled it. Doesn't matter why.

Actually, M, you are a senior member, I'd like to think such a senior member would have some valid reason for their posts, not just, "I don't like it, I don't know why, but maybe I'll make something up"
Now you think you need to lecture me on what to post? You seem to be here just to stir things up.

yrraljguthrie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
etorque5.7
You're a Staff member a super moderator and a supporting member. You need to live up to that level. I'LL improve my rhetoric.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You're a Staff member a super moderator and a supporting member. You need to live up to that level. I'LL improve my rhetoric.
Thanks for your unsolicited advice. I sure hope I can gain your approval by living up to your level of expectation. :rolleyes:

I've said many times why I don't like stop/start in multiple other threads. What's the point in rehashing those reasons in every new thread that comes up on this subject? It just becomes monotonous, kind of like beating a dead horse. You're a new member here, and maybe you aren't aware that all this has been discussed to death already. My unsolicited advice is to search before giving out advice next time.

yrraljguthrie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
etorque5.7
I didn't start the post. The post I responded to was dated late July. Seems like that would make it a current post. You actually responded to the post before I did. Are there different rules for super moderators as opposed to senior members?

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You've been a member here for less than a month. It seems the bar for what defines a senior member might be a little low. Lets get this thread back on track, shall we?

OP
OP
G

goggles

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why just the E torque engine? Stop/start engines have been around for at least ten years. I am sure somebody somewhere would have questioned it by now. If someone would worry about it you can always turn the function off.
What are the salt type seats? That's a new one on me.
Sorry for the late reply, I didn't see the question, I always reply to questions asked, my bad, Salt seats is the color option offered on the seats, not to forget, this is the way its listed in Canada, there is blue trim with a off white centers, they call it salt, I like the color combination and to get it you must have the e-torgue option, there are also a few other options you can get that you cant get without the e-torque option, its the game we have to play, but sales people at dealers have informed me they can the the options I want, just another case of "you have to ask" and dealer may be able to pull it off for you.