Earth magnets on oil filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ken Maile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have placed earth magnets on the oil filter ( 5 small ) and had my oil tested on I have .02% contamination which includes medallic particles, Have been doing this for over 5 years since I found out lifter issues. Plan on replacing cam, lifters an installing a Melling 10452HV oil pump .

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It's a good piece of mind, I was happy when I saw so little metal stuck to the mags, look at the rings or lack of rings. I had high wear in my uoa, which made me consider doing this to see how bad the situation was/is.

51115308062_f8e2f67f7f_c.jpg

51115785478_0f7aa34c21_c.jpg

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Look up filter mag. I run that on a car and what it can stick to the side of the can is pretty Amazing. I don’t do it on my other 2 vehicles due to cost (they ain’t cheap) but a couple of rare earths works good to for visual inspections.

howie12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6 gas
REference pictures posted by Burla above, please advise where magnets were and what you are trying to show. If magnets were on the outside of filter as they are shown in the picture I expect the metal shown on them now is from cutting the cannister in half and has nothing to do with the oil or what was in the oil. WHat might be adhered inside seems likely to be from the sawing too. Seems to me to determine anything you must take the can apart without creating swarf that can fall and be adhered to the magnet. A chisel like a t-profile muffler chisel or some kind of canopener type cutter are probably the best bet. REgardless the metal won't go through the filter anyhow. To get to the filter housing it has gotten through the oil screen and the pump. Seems to me if one is keen on the concept, which I am not, the only sensible way is the magnet on the drain plug. At least that has a chance of catching something that doesn't first go through the oil pump but is only likely to pick up larger pieces due to the motion and viscosity of the oil, even when hot small particles won't settle until you stop.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Try zoom, the magnets location and what they caught are shown. Had nothing to do with cutting the filter, that doesnt even make sense when you think about how a filter gets cut open and the metal circles. The metal circles on the inside of the filter is what matters, 4 faint circles and matches 4 magnets position.

2Tallguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel
I've run a large magnet that partially surrounds the oil filter.
Out of curiosity I cut the filter open and indeed I had a layer of fine metallic particles where the magnet sits.
I have a 2007 2500 Cummins. Oil change every 5K with dino oil. It only has 125K on it but has hauled a 2200# cabover camper much of it's life so it's been under a constant load which is good with diesels. I've never added oil between changes. Blackstone oil reports are excellent.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You can see the rings versus what is on outside of magnet, one is shavings, one is microscopic, one is black and one is silver, one is from wearing engine and one is from the cut.

Tominator223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve used magnets on oil filter for yrs. I have a 1x2 on my filter, been on there for 20+yrs.(not same filter). Good idea to use on motorcycle as well. As it helps to get those pesky red lights to change.

Hagar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
REference pictures posted by Burla above, please advise where magnets were and what you are trying to show. If magnets were on the outside of filter as they are shown in the picture I expect the metal shown on them now is from cutting the cannister in half and has nothing to do with the oil or what was in the oil. WHat might be adhered inside seems likely to be from the sawing too. Seems to me to determine anything you must take the can apart without creating swarf that can fall and be adhered to the magnet. A chisel like a t-profile muffler chisel or some kind of canopener type cutter are probably the best bet. REgardless the metal won't go through the filter anyhow. To get to the filter housing it has gotten through the oil screen and the pump. Seems to me if one is keen on the concept, which I am not, the only sensible way is the magnet on the drain plug. At least that has a chance of catching something that doesn't first go through the oil pump but is only likely to pick up larger pieces due to the motion and viscosity of the oil, even when hot small particles won't settle until you stop.
A proper filter cutter is much like a can opener, no filings involved. Look up oil filter cutter on Amazon.

Laps

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Filter magnets are approved for use on planes and I have used one on my Cessna Skyhawk for over 20 years. I should use one on my RAM truck also.

Ram1958

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can see the rings versus what is on outside of magnet, one is shavings, one is microscopic, one is black and one is silver, one is from wearing engine and one is from the cut.
I have placed earth magnets on the oil filter ( 5 small ) and had my oil tested on I have .02% contamination which includes medallic particles, Have been doing this for over 5 years since I found out lifter issues. Plan on replacing cam, lifters an installing a Melling 10452HV oil pump .
I just use a magnetic oil drain plug. Available from Amazon.
I use a magnet on Base Pan. The prior to doing oil change I move magnet from front to drain before removing plug.

Hagar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Filter magnets are approved for use on planes and I have used one on my Cessna Skyhawk for over 20 years. I should use one on my RAM truck also.
My Skyhawk was older with the O-300, a bullet proof engine. No oil filter back in those days but it got an oil change every 25 hours. Good old Shell single grade. I learned a hard lesson with Phillips multi-grade. It cost me a camshaft on my Luscombe.

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
It's a good piece of mind, I was happy when I saw so little metal stuck to the mags, look at the rings or lack of rings. I had high wear in my uoa, which made me consider doing this to see how bad the situation was/is.

View attachment 540499

View attachment 540500
Hi, why are you having high wear numbers? Isn't redline supposed to prevent that?

And why do you need a magnet? Isn't high quality filter like rp should catch all that?

Thx!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Hi, why are you having high wear numbers? Isn't redline supposed to prevent that?

And why do you need a magnet? Isn't high quality filter like rp should catch all that?

Thx!
Redline killed my hemi tick, as in wiped it out now going on year 15! My hemi wear was very high, triple that of other hemi's since new. And it is now on year 15 with no cam lifter issues, no hemi tick either. As for magnets, I put them on to see for myself if there was any wear in my oil, clearly I dont need magnets, clearly what they caught was low wear metals and low micron in size. I don't use them anymore, just did to see where I was at.

As for isn't redline supposed to be low wear, for one I don't know I stopped doing uoa's, and two HP oils are full of additives that create good wear. In theory wear should come down when you run out of sharp edges, maybe if I get another uoa we all would be surprised, I kinda moved on from caring. I fixed my hemi issue by using a lubrication strategy and I just don't care about the minutia, maybe I should, but I don't care. All I know is the engine is absolutely butter smooth. if I start caring again, i'll get a uoa, but for now every penny I can keep in my wallet I am keeping in my wallet.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
My philosopy on uoa's is they don't change a damn thing in regards to wear,i'll leave them up to other guys,i pay more attention to the oil i drain out of the engine into a clean drain pan,and the used filter. Anything going south is going to show up in the drain pan and filter. Stick with good oil and filters,and stay on top of your oil change intervals is all you can do,and no uoa is going to change that fact. All Blackstone is gonna tell you is you can extend your oil change intervals,and i don't agree with them on that fact

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l

View attachment 540499

View attachment 540500

The oil that touches the sides has passed through the filter medium.

And that oil is moving.

Better to put the magnets on the oil pan and remove them before changing the oil.