Edge Pulsar up indates

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88ROOK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Very pleased w/ mine. Coming up on 18k miles since install, no issues. That said, if I wasn't concerned about voiding a lifetime warranty I would have opted for an unlocked PCM. Hopeful Edge will come through w/ custom tune capability for the Pulsar.
I’m leaning toward unlocked pcm and tuner. I wish someone would could custom tune the pulsar as I don’t want to be down if I send my pcm out to be unlocked. Can you lock the truck in 8th gear on the 8spds still with the pulsar since the mds doesn’t actually get shut off?

Very pleased w/ mine. Coming up on 18k miles since install, no issues. That said, if I wasn't concerned about voiding a lifetime warranty I would have opted for an unlocked PCM. Hopeful Edge will come through w/ custom tune capability for the Pulsar.

why dont you guys just buy the unlocked pcm/tuner combo from Moe's performance, that way you have the original pcm just incase it needs to go in for warranty work

HDHNTER

US AIR FORCE VETERAN OEF - OIF
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
why dont you guys just buy the unlocked pcm/tuner combo from Moe's performance, that way you have the original pcm just incase it needs to go in for warranty work
PCM mileage won't match up to dash, if tech looks hard enough, it's easy to confirm the PCM has been swapped.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What he said above

TJames

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
This makes me feel more confident about purchasing. I am also concerned about voiding warranty.

If you had the choice to start with either a PC or Pulsar first, with plans of eventually having both, what would you go with?

HDHNTER

US AIR FORCE VETERAN OEF - OIF
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
This makes me feel more confident about purchasing. I am also concerned about voiding warranty.

If you had the choice to start with either a PC or Pulsar first, with plans of eventually having both, what would you go with?

I would go w/ the PC first because you need it to get the best result w/ the Pulsar. Throttle sensitivity is too aggressive on the Pulsar's Performance setting & the PC is great for dialing back that sensitivity to a useful level for daily driving.

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm still really happy with my pulsar, after at least 10k miles on it. It's a fantastic mod.

in my opinion, the gains i get in MPG is a benefit, but not a reason to buy. I bought because it's selectable on-the-fly tuning with a pseudo-mds kill. I wish the MDS off was more legit, but i love my pulsar and can't imagine my truck without it.

once i had the ability to adjust for my 35s, it completely sealed the deal.

when my factory warranty is up, if i plan to keep the truck, i'll do an unlocked PCM and full tune. this is great for now.

Slo Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Waiting for speed limiter unlock before i buy one. My truck is more than quick enough with 3.92 gears to play with whats in my area. But the 100 mph cutout is just plain embarassing.

Slo Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
That being said... if tuners can unlock my pcm by me sending it to them... why can they not add that into the tunes theyre loading in these tuners. What are they doing to "unlock" the pcm.... also... what if one were to supply a tuner with a pulsar to play with to unlock custom tunes for it? Would anyone be interested?

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
That being said... if tuners can unlock my pcm by me sending it to them... why can they not add that into the tunes theyre loading in these tuners. What are they doing to "unlock" the pcm.... also... what if one were to supply a tuner with a pulsar to play with to unlock custom tunes for it? Would anyone be interested?

The newer PCM's have an encrypted bootloader making loading non FCA signed calibrations an issue without PCM modification. Think modified bootloaders on Android phones in this case. Typically easy to bypass once you have a way in to flash a new bootloader. Luckily the encryption is rather easily broken unlike GM's latest efforts with the L5P which cost's thousands in hardware level modifications to bypass the calibration signing(They went all out on locking those PCM's with the latest rolling encryption techniques). Here lately watching what the OEM's do with their PCM's is on par with what we see in the cyber security industry. The sort of efforts HPtuners went to in unlocking the L5P is on par with what I would expect from state actors trying to break hardware level encryption on target servers (We've already seen this from China in supply chain attacks).

https://www.hptuners.com/product/l5p-ecm-exchange-service/

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The tuners need a way to be able to adjust the mileage on a pcm.
I too have the lifetime and won't do the tuner/pcm due to the mileage issue.
Now if the tuner was able to change the pcm mileage, I would have the stock pcm unlocked but still stock and a spare unlocked pcm to hold the tunes on.

Last edited:

Slo Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
The newer PCM's have an encrypted bootloader making loading non FCA signed calibrations an issue without PCM modification. Think modified bootloaders on Android phones in this case. Typically easy to bypass once you have a way in to flash a new bootloader. Luckily the encryption is rather easily broken unlike GM's latest efforts with the L5P which cost's thousands in hardware level modifications to bypass the calibration signing(They went all out on locking those PCM's with the latest rolling encryption techniques). Here lately watching what the OEM's do with their PCM's is on par with what we see in the cyber security industry. The sort of efforts HPtuners went to in unlocking the L5P is on par with what I would expect from state actors trying to break hardware level encryption on target servers (We've already seen this from China in supply chain attacks).

https://www.hptuners.com/product/l5p-ecm-exchange-service/
That i get. Is it a hardware thing to unlock it or programming? If its programming why not just load that program to run and reflash on the tuner? If its hardware... not much they can do there

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
That i get. Is it a hardware thing to unlock it or programming? If its programming why not just load that program to run and reflash on the tuner? If its hardware... not much they can do there

As I understand it now they're re-flashing the bootloader on the PCM. There are tools available to DIY it if you look hard enough, but you have to open the PCM and directly connect to it with the proper interface and a bench power supply. Not something you can do with it installed in the vehicle. There's also a good risk of bricking it if it's not done properly.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn