Electric cooling fan question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gt8684

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Quick question, when your truck is fully up to opperating temp, does the electric fan stay running when you are parked, and the A/C is turned off?.. I ask because the other day, I got off the interstate, was sitting at a red light and I noticed that my water temp was at 221 and climbing, from sitting at the light for a minute... as I started to move again it went up to about 224 and then started going back down to 210... Should the electric fan not be running at a low RPM all the time to help keep the engine cool, outside air temp was 48deg... so should not have run warm.. I got out with the truck running and could not hear an electric fan running. Thoughts? Thank you

Plainbroke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Everything I have read unless the A/C is on, that fan does not come on until 230* per the computer factory settings.

OP
OP
G

gt8684

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow, well thanks for the reply, I just think its crazy they allow the engine to get that hot.

John Schmidt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi w/FLOWMASTER 50 SERIES DELTA FLOW
I'm with you. I think 230F is too hot and wish there was an easy fix to get the fan to turn on earlier. Haven't found anything yet ... but I will.
John

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Easy fix, Clutch fan delete ,180 Tstat V6 efan and tune.

John Schmidt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi w/FLOWMASTER 50 SERIES DELTA FLOW
Hmmmm. Mr Dilligaf, those steps probably amount to $1,000 or so (the tune being the big one). I'm already spending all of my extra $$$ on Red Line oil. I need to find a more cost-effective solution. I already have an electric fan - came stock. Thermostat is already open when the temp is above 195, so lowering to 180 won't help that. The cooling capability of the radiator at that point is exhausted, hence the need for the fan to turn on. The best crazy idea so far is to mount another fan motor (motor only) under the hood and connect it to the cable feeding the stock fan, just to elminate the computer throwing possible codes. Now I can control the stock fan (independently) with my own temp controlled PWM module. Still will be a $200 solution, but that's the best I have so far. Thanks.