Electric Ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Painkiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I'm not a fan of Ford, but came across a few threads about their new F-150 EV (Ford F-150 Lightning starts under $40k w/ 300-mile range and can power your home - Electrek) and was pretty impressed with their offering. I've been interested in the Rivian's for some time, but the wife won't support dropping $100k on a new "toy". Full disclosure, I've had an EV in the garage next to the Rebel for almost 3 years as the daily driver (had a 65 mile round trip daily commute for work) and love it.

Any word on if FCA/Dodge/Ram is planning for an electric version of the 1500's in the near future?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Ford has been working on Electric cars & trucks since the 1990s

Chevy started more recently

FCA may have had something going on with one of their Mopar Underground groups

Now that Stellantis is running the show
They may be keeping closed mouthed, But they have to meet certain Federal Criteria, the same as the other companies

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bet my wifes Dyson would last longer on a charge then that thing. I am not a fan at all. Ford is really disappointing me lately.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Someone posted an article here on the forums a few weeks ago that said Stellantis had stated that all their vehicle lines, including RAM would have an EV by 2030, with RAM possibly being in 2024.

Here's a Motor Trend article that says something similar. https://www.motortrend.com/news/ram-electric-pickup-2024-stellantis-electrification-plans/

My personal opinion: Until they come up with an EV truck that can go 400+ miles on a charge, "refuel" in 15 minutes or less and then do it again, I'm not interested. Oh, and no spending $5K+ to replace the batteries every few years either.

-K

BigLazer4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Someone posted an article here on the forums a few weeks ago that said Stellantis had stated that all their vehicle lines, including RAM would have an EV by 2030, with RAM possibly being in 2024.

Here's a Motor Trend article that says something similar. https://www.motortrend.com/news/ram-electric-pickup-2024-stellantis-electrification-plans/

My personal opinion: Until they come up with an EV truck that can go 400+ miles on a charge, "refuel" in 15 minutes or less and then do it again, I'm not interested. Oh, and no spending $5K+ to replace the batteries every few years either.

-K

well said

JJEH

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Oh man, one of my least favorite subjects..... because it goes political very quick and then we'll never get anywhere.

I assume that 99% of people on this earth don't want to see it die. Ergo they are responsible, don't litter and don't waste precious resources.
They perhaps are even that kind of people that bend down and pick up a piece of trash when they see it in the driveway or parking lot.

I like having choices, but I do also like my freedoms and responsibilities.

I don't mind at all that industries go and try to find different solutions. It's a good thing. It keeps competition going, it challenges us as humans and it can profit humanity.

But I do not like and want to be forced, neither by government nor by any industry, in regards to what I can or cannot buy!!!

This is my problem, the knee jerk attitude that everything needs to go electric overnight, because in 48 hours this planet is going to implode.

How can an executive order by any governor, stating no sales of fossil fuel powered vehicles allowed by 2035, be legal?
This is ridiculous.

Now wait, there's more. I bet money they will tremendously raise prices on fossil fueled vehicles, perhaps even implement an emission gas tax like in Germany.
Then they'll try to make it interesting for you by offering incentives for buying an EV.

Now, you still need to make arrangements for your refills... or charges. Electrify America offers a subscription service or pay at the pump kind of thing.

Plus, I lived through the winter storm here in TX recently. We were w/o power for what... 3 days?! Now what? You are stuck at home and have absolutely no independence.

The network doesn't run stable, plus the government can control your access to electricity. Hell to the no!
How do we produce all that electricity on that big of a scale? We'd have to go 100% nuclear.
Then what? I've seen demonstrations against castor transports in Germany. That nuclear waste is going underground for ever! For ever!
So you feel green and clean on the surface while the earth is dying below the surface.

It all doesn't make sense to me. It's an extreme political agenda, a knee jerk operation, a feel good policy.

People should stop littering and wasting resources in first place. And then, and here's a big one, the packaging industry should change how they package items in my opinion.
I wholeheartedly believe they can use less packaging and different materials.
This would make a huge difference!

I could go on for longer but I will stop here. Otherwise the internet might ban me.

People like choices, they don't like being told what they can and cannot have.
We've been though that, I sure as hell not going back there.

Sorry for the long post, but you have to look at it on the big scale.

I'm not interested in any electric vehicle, even if it goes from 0-60 in 2 seconds with a range of 1000 miles while doing 300 mph.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I'm sure they're working on something in the background. May as well continue to make money on the current Ram and Jeep lineup in the meantime.

Electric would work for most of us with our work commutes and around town driving. Usage that your home charging system would support. Long distance, or off the beaten path would be too sketchy for me.

I just laugh at why people actually think going EV is the planet saving alternative.

OP
OP
Painkiller

Painkiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh man, one of my least favorite subjects..... because it goes political very quick and then we'll never get anywhere.

Absolutely have to agree with the first bit... so political, so quickly, and hate government regulating.

To switch it up a bit on you though, in AL I actually pay MORE for my EV than I do my Ram and bike put together. Depending on where you live, you could be paying way more for an EV than the traditional ICE platform. Your point about TX and the weather storms brings up another good point about EVs. Last hurricane season, we lost power for 5 days, but I bought an inverter to draw power from the EV and power our fridge and a few more items for a few days. We only have a 65 kW battery, so something that would be in a 1500 (>100kW) would (in theory) be able to power many devices for many days under those conditions.

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Some Governors have already put State Mandates into play, 2035 seems to be the goal

I don't know if it is part of some new world order
But they are going to shove it down our throats one way or another

JJEH

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Absolutely have to agree with the first bit... so political, so quickly, and hate government regulating.

To switch it up a bit on you though, in AL I actually pay MORE for my EV than I do my Ram and bike put together. Depending on where you live, you could be paying way more for an EV than the traditional ICE platform. Your point about TX and the weather storms brings up another good point about EVs. Last hurricane season, we lost power for 5 days, but I bought an inverter to draw power from the EV and power our fridge and a few more items for a few days. We only have a 65 kW battery, so something that would be in a 1500 (>100kW) would (in theory) be able to power many devices for many days under those conditions.

I love it when people can have a civil conversation about this....

Right now I agree, an EV cost more. But I think the goal is to "outlaw" or heavily regulate (tax, laws, etc) fossil fuels by 2035 and then offer some incentives for buying an EV.

In the end I don't think it's good, neither for the people nor for the planet.

I've heard that Ford has some sort of generator in their trucks.... not sure. Apparently people used that too in order to keep some electricity in their houses.
And that's a good thing. I think IF we go electric, hybrids are the way to go. But going 100% electric overnight (that's what they make it sound like) is not going to work out.

I come from a country where they LOVE taxation and Americans haven't seen anything yet!

Once we get there it's almost impossible to go back.

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
What will be the future revenue for replacing the “gasoline tax” of $.57/gallon we pay here in PA?

OP
OP
Painkiller

Painkiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What will be the future revenue for replacing the “gasoline tax” of $.57/gallon we pay here in PA?
In the state I lived in where I bought the vehicle at the time I literally paid twice as much for vehicle registration on my EV as I did on my Ram every year...

RamHemi18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

I assume that 99% of people on this earth don't want to see it die. Ergo they are responsible, don't litter and don't waste precious resources.
They perhaps are even that kind of people that bend down and pick up a piece of trash when they see it in the driveway or parking lot.

I like having choices, but I do also like my freedoms and responsibilities.

I don't mind at all that industries go and try to find different solutions. It's a good thing. It keeps competition going, it challenges us as humans and it can profit humanity.

But I do not like and want to be forced, neither by government nor by any industry, in regards to what I can or cannot buy!!!

This is my problem, the knee jerk attitude that everything needs to go electric overnight, because in 48 hours this planet is going to implode.

How can an executive order by any governor, stating no sales of fossil fuel powered vehicles allowed by 2035, be legal?
This is ridiculous.

Now wait, there's more. I bet money they will tremendously raise prices on fossil fueled vehicles, perhaps even implement an emission gas tax like in Germany.
Then they'll try to make it interesting for you by offering incentives for buying an EV.

Now, you still need to make arrangements for your refills... or charges. Electrify America offers a subscription service or pay at the pump kind of thing.

Plus, I lived through the winter storm here in TX recently. We were w/o power for what... 3 days?! Now what? You are stuck at home and have absolutely no independence.

The network doesn't run stable, plus the government can control your access to electricity. Hell to the no!
How do we produce all that electricity on that big of a scale? We'd have to go 100% nuclear.
Then what? I've seen demonstrations against castor transports in Germany. That nuclear waste is going underground for ever! For ever!
So you feel green and clean on the surface while the earth is dying below the surface.

It all doesn't make sense to me. It's an extreme political agenda, a knee jerk operation, a feel good policy.

People should stop littering and wasting resources in first place. And then, and here's a big one, the packaging industry should change how they package items in my opinion.
I wholeheartedly believe they can use less packaging and different materials.
This would make a huge difference!

I could go on for longer but I will stop here. Otherwise the internet might ban me.

People like choices, they don't like being told what they can and cannot have.
We've been though that, I sure as hell not going back there.

Sorry for the long post, but you have to look at it on the big scale.

I'm not interested in any electric vehicle, even if it goes from 0-60 in 2 seconds with a range of 1000 miles while doing 300 mph.
This! 10000000% this. Couldn't agree more.

RamHemi18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I love it when people can have a civil conversation about this....

Right now I agree, an EV cost more. But I think the goal is to "outlaw" or heavily regulate (tax, laws, etc) fossil fuels by 2035 and then offer some incentives for buying an EV.

In the end I don't think it's good, neither for the people nor for the planet.

I've heard that Ford has some sort of generator in their trucks.... not sure. Apparently people used that too in order to keep some electricity in their houses.
And that's a good thing. I think IF we go electric, hybrids are the way to go. But going 100% electric overnight (that's what they make it sound like) is not going to work out.

I come from a country where they LOVE taxation and Americans haven't seen anything yet!

Once we get there it's almost impossible to go back.
Again I agree with you. Especially on the Hybrid topic, I think that is the way to go. I live in Michigan. With every storm we have had in the last 3 months we have had between 50,000-300,000 people without power. One storm alone my parents who live in the country were without power for over a week, powered by an ICE generator and gasoline. If we can't even manage to keep the power on during a storm, how are we going to manage charging EVERY car, EVERY day?! If I don't have power, I can't charge my car, which means I can't get to work. I think Hybrid or Hydrogen is the answer. You NEED an external potable fuel source that can be pumped, but use the battery when you're cruising around town or under light load.
Don't even get me started on the 1 mile strip of road Big Gretch wants to build that will wireless charge your car... what a JOKE!

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I think our next car for my wife (in 8 - 10 years) will likely be electric. Would cover our needs just fine. I would still keep a pickup with a gas engine, for longer trips, especially towing.

As for charging during a widespread power outage, unless your local gas stations have some sort of backup generator, they are closed anyway, does not help much.

Having options is important, we don't all have the same needs. I do think it will be some time before an electric truck will have decent range for towing.

A car with 300+ miles of range could meet my needs just fine 95% of the time. As the charging options increase, I could see taking a long drive, stopping at a charging station, plugging in, and grabbing some lunch or dinner. By the time I am filled up, so is the car. It could work for me.

Not so much for towing, and getting the equivalent of 12 MPG, I think range will be too short.

As for running out of power someplace, my guess is that firms like AAA will have trucks with a generator that would be able to rescue you if you run out of power, giving enough charge to get to a charging station, just like they will deliver a couple of gallons of gas.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
The Ford thing is no surprise, they have a significant financial interest in Rivian.

Phirebeard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The resource costs of making batteries is just as damaging as fossil fuels. Lithium is a limited resource and the mines destroy the lands. Battery disposal for batteries that last 5-10 years (atm)...

miles01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think our next car for my wife (in 8 - 10 years) will likely be electric. Would cover our needs just fine. I would still keep a pickup with a gas engine, for longer trips, especially towing.
I tried to talk my wife into EV a few months ago when she wanted to downsize big SUV as she only drives in town and occasionally to the city (12kms away).
She would have nothing to do with it and we ended up getting her a smaller SUV ICE vehicle. She is extremely happy about the fuel mileage she now getting (went from V8 to in-line 4). She does not get how much cheaper a EV would have been as the only chargeing would be in the home garage and a lot less maintenance costs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jems007