Electrical rear window upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bellaireroad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone do this on their ram truck? There’s a guy on eBay selling the windows with electric motor for about $400. I guess you would need a module and a wiring harness and buttons. But it might be done for $600 or so?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Mine came with the power window so I don't have to do it :O
But I would think your local auto junk yard would have one a lot cheaper !
BUT
I assume there is no wiring harness there all ready so I see a royal pain to get power to the window !
I would also assume another 100/200$ for a harness and what evers !and a few hrs labor

If I wanted a rear opening window I would just go to a manual sliding rear window like I had on my F150 !
BUT if you do go the power window route PLEASE take alot of pics and write up a step y step with part numbers! You may be helping others who want to take on the challenge !
Good luck

Last edited:

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
If you have a 2017, you *might* already have the wiring in place (but not the motor, obviously.) I'd certainly hope so, else you'll be tearing out the headliner a few side-panels, one of the pillar panels... all of which would royally suck.

Ask that eBay seller if there are instructions, and what would be needed. He/she might not know offhand, but you never know...

(Mine came with a power-sliding window, so I'm afraid I can't be too helpful offhand.)

OP
OP
bellaireroad

bellaireroad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine came with the power window so I don't have to do it :O But I would think your local auto junk yard would have one a lot cheaper ! BUT I assume there is no wiring harness there all ready so I see a royal pain to get power to the window ! If I wanted on e I would just go to a manual sliding rear window like I had on my F150 !
BUT if you do go the power window route PLEASE take alot of pics and write up a step y step with part numbers! You may be helping others who want to take on the challenge !
Good luck

Yeah, I have the manual sliding glass, and it is such a PITA to turn around and open, I never use it...got a bad shoulder[emoji15]

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Anyone do this on their ram truck? There’s a guy on eBay selling the windows with electric motor for about $400. I guess you would need a module and a wiring harness and buttons. But it might be done for $600 or so?

Do a search on here.I thought somebody had done the power slider upgrade on here awhile ago,and did a write-up on it.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was the one who did the upgrade on my truck. It wasn't hard at all and works perfect. As stated none of the wiring is present but it's not hard to add. I did a write up on it in the 4th gen DIY section but I'm not sure if it's one of the ones that got erased when they did that update a few months ago. There are no codes needed and there are no modules. The window switch itself is a reverse polarity switch. Push it one way it opens push it the other way it closes. There are five wires total for the whole system positive to switch, negative to switch, positive to window, negative to window and illumination. These are the schematics. P.S. I felt the factory setup was backwards because the window moves the opposite direction you press the switch. I reversed the wires in mine so the window moves the same way the switch does but that was just my preference. I installed a factory Mopar window that came complete with the motor. The window was $395 shipped but that was 3 years ago. I don't reccomend getting a used one because there is a rubber trim ring that goes around the window that usually gets damaged when they are removed from the truck. 9efe696bca86ac5d7503f77a5ea20772.jpg1a802d3ab5ac42ce0a2056523bf64204.jpg24a0d6bfa4a9c476a30c3243b9c253bd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
bellaireroad

bellaireroad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was the one who did the upgrade on my truck. It wasn't hard at all and works perfect. As stated none of the wiring is present but it's not hard to add. I did a write up on it in the 4th gen DIY section but I'm not sure if it's one of the ones that got erased when they did that update a few months ago. There are no codes needed and there are no modules. The window switch itself is a reverse polarity switch. Push it one way it opens push it the other way it closes. There are five wires total for the whole system positive to switch, negative to switch, positive to window, negative to window and illumination. These are the schematics. P.S. I felt the factory setup was backwards because the window moves the opposite direction you press the switch. I reversed the wires in mine so the window moves the same way the switch does but that was just my preference. I installed a factory Mopar window that came complete with the motor. The window was $395 shipped but that was 3 years ago. I don't reccomend getting a used one because there is a rubber trim ring that goes around the window that usually gets dammed when they are removed from the truck. 9efe696bca86ac5d7503f77a5ea20772.jpg1a802d3ab5ac42ce0a2056523bf64204.jpg24a0d6bfa4a9c476a30c3243b9c253bd.jpg

That’s awesome. Thanks

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

some trucks already have the wires needed to make the change over their already. They do this when making the harness so some trucks will have different options. Also does the window come with rear defrost also the wires should be in place already for that

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The wiring is not present on the Express and Tradesman. It doesn't matter what options it has. The harness is actually part of the headliner and not available separately. It is standard equipment in the SLT/Bighorn and higher trim level trucks. The heated rear window wiring is also not present on the Express/Tradesman.

OP
OP
bellaireroad

bellaireroad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The wiring is not present on the Express and Tradesman. It doesn't matter what options it has. The harness is actually part of the headliner and not available separately. It is standard equipment in the SLT/Bighorn and higher trim level trucks. The heated rear window wiring is also not present on the Express/Tradesman.

No telling if mine has it or not, it is a 2017 sport RT

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No telling if mine has it or not, it is a 2017 sport RT

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
If it's a Sport RT it's a regular cab correct? If it is I know the ones I have seen have the manual slider. I'm not sure if they had an option for the power slider or not since the rear window is directly behind you.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
If it's a Sport RT it's a regular cab correct? If it is I know the ones I have seen have the manual slider. I'm not sure if they had an option for the power slider or not since the rear window is directly behind you.

The regular cabs never had a power slider as an option,and I don't think any of the wiring is there for one,but then again,i've never actually dug into my regular cab Sport that far to check,but I know on the facebook pages guys say the wirings not there for one.

big daddys house

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was the one who did the upgrade on my truck. It wasn't hard at all and works perfect. As stated none of the wiring is present but it's not hard to add. I did a write up on it in the 4th gen DIY section but I'm not sure if it's one of the ones that got erased when they did that update a few months ago. There are no codes needed and there are no modules. The window switch itself is a reverse polarity switch. Push it one way it opens push it the other way it closes. There are five wires total for the whole system positive to switch, negative to switch, positive to window, negative to window and illumination. These are the schematics. P.S. I felt the factory setup was backwards because the window moves the opposite direction you press the switch. I reversed the wires in mine so the window moves the same way the switch does but that was just my preference. I installed a factory Mopar window that came complete with the motor. The window was $395 shipped but that was 3 years ago. I don't reccomend getting a used one because there is a rubber trim ring that goes around the window that usually gets damaged when they are removed from the truck. 9efe696bca86ac5d7503f77a5ea20772.jpg1a802d3ab5ac42ce0a2056523bf64204.jpg24a0d6bfa4a9c476a30c3243b9c253bd.jpg

looking to do something similar to this with my RAM except.... Been searching for a way to retrofit a back window so the entire window rolls down like the Tundra. It's been a year now. [emoji17] still researching.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
This thread makes me feel bad for having one and not using it or opening it once since I've had the truck. I don't even know if it works. :rotflmao:
Me too. I may have to open it today and maybe even slide back the shade and open the sunroof as well while I'm at it. See if it all works.

OP
OP
bellaireroad

bellaireroad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The regular cabs never had a power slider as an option,and I don't think any of the wiring is there for one,but then again,i've never actually dug into my regular cab Sport that far to check,but I know on the facebook pages guys say the wirings not there for one.

Yes, it’s a regular cab, with a manual sliding back window. It is impossible to open the window while driving, unless you are the rubber man. In the spring and fall I like to lower both windows for the fresh air, but it creates a vacuum in the truck that is annoying.
The rear window open lets the air flow through. Yep it’s something I use and will probably do the swap

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yes, it’s a regular cab, with a manual sliding back window. It is impossible to open the window while driving, unless you are the rubber man. In the spring and fall I like to lower both windows for the fresh air, but it creates a vacuum in the truck that is annoying.
The rear window open lets the air flow through. Yep it’s something I use and will probably do the swap

Yea they aren't the easiest window to open while driving,and a royal pain in the rear if you forget about it and leave it slightly cracked at the carwash,lol.I'm still flexible enough it's not that bad for me,but if you have a bum shoulder/arm etc.,it would be a bit uncomfortable trying to get at it to open.If you dig into it further,keep us updated on how you make,as I might think about upgrading mine if it turns out not to be a bad job.