Engine Half Covers: Opinions, Pics and Where to Buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's the cover Unbroken tried out and it fits. I haven't done it myself so it's 2nd hand info, but he and I have talked quite a bit and I trust him. And yes, the 40% sale is good but I was still waiting 4 months for all my parts just because of the massive quantities they need to put together for it.

Oh ****, 4 months, no way! I am not that patient. I'll take 20% and be happy, NOW! :)

I just checked the pics I took when I went to see his truck, and it does look like the same cover. He went with black, and then had the edges... uhh... whatever it's called they do with the edges to where they are flat and polished.

While we are on the BT subject, is the total under hood dress up kit like the catch can, shock covers, name plate, caps?
All I'm lacking is all the caps.

The under hood dress up kit is all the caps only. $200. I think imna get the caps, the hood prop covers, and the fuse box cover.

Billet Caps Kit http://www.custombilletstore.com/product_p/3019.htm

Lhemi, didn't you just get the hood prop covers?? They're asking for the hood prop cover size, 2 1/4" or 2" ???

Last edited:

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Predator 4x4 Dually & 2012 Ram Puinsher R/T 1 of 1
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo & Hemi 5.7
Oh ****, 4 months, no way! I am not that patient. I'll take 20% and be happy, NOW! :)

I just checked the pics I took when I went to see his truck, and it does look like the same cover. He went with black, and then had the edges... uhh... whatever it's called they do with the edges to where they are flat and polished.

The under hood dress up kit is all the caps only. $200. I think imna get the caps, the hood prop covers, and the fuse box cover.

Billet Caps Kit Billet Technology Under Hood Engine Kit Dodge Ram 1500

Lhemi, didn't you just get the hood prop covers?? They're asking for the hood prop cover size, 2 1/4" or 2" ???

I did, and you just wrap a piece of paper around the shock and then measure the paper.
It took a long time for mine because of the red color, I think. It did take about 3 months.

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also the part of the shock that attaches to the hood unscrews, I didn't install mine for a while because I could figur that out...

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did, and you just wrap a piece of paper around the shock and then measure the paper.
It took a long time for mine because of the red color, I think. It did take about 3 months.

Damn, that's a long time... I want to get red, too.

Also the part of the shock that attaches to the hood unscrews, I didn't install mine for a while because I could figur that out...

Good tip thanks!

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They run things in batches, can't blame them it's more cost effective that way.

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Billet Caps Kit Billet Technology Under Hood Engine Kit Dodge Ram 1500

Yes but if you go to the third block down it ask for " designer series full under hood add $150"
What the hell is that and I think I need it.

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes but if you go to the third block down it ask for " designer series full under hood add $150"
What the hell is that and I think I need it.

It looks good, but alittle pricey. If you are doing a color, it looks really cool!

Like this:

Attachments

• TB Cover.jpg
    TB Cover.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Designer series is worth it if you can afford it, it really sets off the lines much better.

Cowboy345

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
so if i order something in polishied im looking at a good 30 Days to get it? how close would the mill finished aluminum half covers from 3g be to polished peices from billet tech?

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
so if i order something in polishied im looking at a good 30 Days to get it? how close would the mill finished aluminum half covers from 3g be to polished peices from billet tech?

The BT polished pieces look like chrome, not sure how the mill finished alum looks from 3g, though.

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3G does not polish or paint anything.... You want it shinny, you make it shinny. They are 2 completely different kind of company's.
3G is sheet metal laser cut
Billet Tec is 3 and 5 axis milled, polished and coated....

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In my opinion Billet Tec and Billet Badges are both worth the wait....

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^ I agree 100%. I am putting my order together now. I'm thinking the complete set of caps, hood props and fuse cover... $363 shipped:
Satin caps, red hood covers, black GC fuse cover with designer edge....:hmm:

Last edited:

nolimits76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They run things in batches, can't blame them it's more cost effective that way.

Unless they've changed -- I remember hearing the automotive parts is almost a second line business for them. Thought the primary was some sort of medical equipment/supplies. Part of that is why things are ran in batches.

I don't think that takes anything away from them -- they do quality work and are a good vendor that does what they say.

Cowboy345

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
3G does not polish or paint anything.... You want it shinny, you make it shinny. They are 2 completely different kind of company's.
3G is sheet metal laser cut
Billet Tec is 3 and 5 axis milled, polished and coated....

Are you positive? I've not contacted them yet but I'm pretty positive you can get aluminum in the milled finish.....as far as BT how big of a difference is there in there satin finish and polished as far as shine? I know the polished will shine more but how far off is the satin over the polished to lets say chrome?

Didn't mean to thread jack.

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you positive? I've not contacted them yet but I'm pretty positive you can get aluminum in the milled finish.....as far as BT how big of a difference is there in there satin finish and polished as far as shine? I know the polished will shine more but how far off is the satin over the polished to lets say chrome?

The BT satin is a little bit shiney, the polished is like chrome.

Last edited:

nolimits76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I think you can still get the milled aluminum finish from 3gz. But I know as of a few years ago, you could no longer get the polished/chrome look directly from them as I inquired about it. They advised me it was something they did in the past but no longer offered it.

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was going to order my covers in ball milled finish and they advised me I would have to polish them my self....
Ball milled is fine until it gets dirty, and dusty, and it starts to fade. Then it's a PIA to clean and shine again....
My 2 cents...

Cowboy345

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was going to order my covers in ball milled finish and they advised me I would have to polish them my self....
Ball milled is fine until it gets dirty, and dusty, and it starts to fade. Then it's a PIA to clean and shine again....
My 2 cents...

What would be the best technique to polish them?