Engine performance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt Raymond

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I have a 1997 2500 with the 5.9 magnum. Trucks been great so far other than a non traceable issue where it would die on highway. Now that it’s all sorted I want to get into performance mods. What would be the best performance mods for fairly cheap ($500 per mod) and in what order should I do them? Any help would be appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

Matt Raymond

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Should probably mention my goal is 300-350 to the wheels

AK12MN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
not sure, but will remove the death flash from the PCM and that will really wake the truck up.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I refer people to FRP, the guy who fixes everything Hemifever messes up.

Without doing the heads and a cam you can get it to around 250-260 depending on the dyno and how healthy your engine is. Basically, everything in my signature. Tune, throttle body, good headers, intake manifold, rocker arms, electric fan.

If you add a cam into the mix you can get it to around 280.

If you look on Facebook there's a lot of posts about Utahesome Performance camshaft for stock springs heads and intake. Posting numbers like 300+wheel for the advertising. Well those numbers are "corrected" for altitude and climate as well as the engine being a zero decked 10.3:1 compression flat top piston bottom end.

Without touching the rotating assembly, you will need heads and a cam to hit the 300+ mark NA.

OP
OP
M

Matt Raymond

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I refer people to FRP, the guy who fixes everything Hemifever messes up.

Without doing the heads and a cam you can get it to around 250-260 depending on the dyno and how healthy your engine is. Basically, everything in my signature. Tune, throttle body, good headers, intake manifold, rocker arms, electric fan.

So a tune from frp, a aftermarket throttle body (I was thinking the big gulp from Hughes), I have pacesetter shorties that aren’t on the truck yet, an intake (what do you recommend for that?), 1.6 or 1.7 rockers and a e fan conversation will get me right around 270 at the wheels?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I would go to hipotek for their 53mm throttle body myself. Intake manifold all thats really available is hughes airgap. It's $600 with all the gaskets and everything but the low price of throttle body and rockers will make up the difference in the budget you outlined.

For those headers, i myself would move to longtubes. More bang for buck. The shorties are slightly better than stock but they utilize crappy factory y pipe and ball collectors which are the real restrictions. If you don't wanna go through the hassle of selling em and buying something else, you could also cut off the ball collectors, weld a 2.5" 3 bolt flange on and run a custom 2.5" y pipe to a single 3" exhaust. That's a pretty decent combo for these big trucks, it just takes some work