Engine tick question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

dkelly3103

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am on my 4th Hemi, the little one, 2 5.7's, and now a 6.4. Mine was purchased with 71,000 and now have 103,000 just over a year. No tick, no knocks, just really noisy at idle, hot or cold. I started using TC-W3 about 5000 miles ago.1 oz to 5 gallons. My motor is dead quiet. I can hear the serpentine belt at idle rather then clicks and clacks etc. It actually cured the noise on the first tank full. I think a lot of the noise is injectors. I am sure many will find this ludicrous, but I am liking the 1 mpg improvement as well. Anything is welcome when you get 10.5 to 11.5 mpg.
I’ll give that a shot! Just looked it up, is tcw3 just the certification code for 2 stroke oil or is a specific type?

stormcom

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn
Engine
V6
What weight oil are you running. You might go 1 weight thicker on it. I would also try 1 oil change with dino oil. Won't thin out as bad. A little marvel won't hurt things either. It sounds like the proper viscosity when cold but really thinning out when warm.

I had one years ago on Mobil 1. Started using oil and ticking. Mercedes said run 1 oil change and it would reseat things. Worked great. If I put dino oil in, I would put a high mileage oil in.

OP
OP
D

dkelly3103

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What weight oil are you running. You might go 1 weight thicker on it. I would also try 1 oil change with dino oil. Won't thin out as bad. A little marvel won't hut things either. It sounds like the proper viscosity when cold but really thinning out when warm.
That’s what I was originally thinking as well. I’ve tried 5w20 and 5w30 in multiple different brands. Currently running 6qts of 5w20 mobile 1 with a quart of Lucas oil stabilizer. Made no change at all. Going to dump this oil and try redline 5w30 whenever I get the chance to order some.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get that Lucas oil stabilizer out of there, it thickens the oil and go with the Redline 5w20 and Lube Gard Biotech 15oz bottle, with a Royal Purple 20-820 oil filter, report back if it quiets up.

OP
OP
D

dkelly3103

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get that Lucas oil stabilizer out of there, it thickens the oil and go with the Redline 5w20 and Lube Gard Biotech 15oz bottle, with a Royal Purple 20-820 oil filter, report back if it quiets up.
That’s actually why I put it in there, to thicken it up some. The tick seems to be directly related to the oil temp, so as it thins out it ticks. Regardless I’m still planning on changing it again soon to try different options. Can I get redline oil or the lubeguard additive locally or do I have to order them online?

moulin6801

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Same with me, when i switched to 96 oct fuel, problem solved…
try it for a couple of weeks.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I am on my 4th Hemi, the little one, 2 5.7's, and now a 6.4. Mine was purchased with 71,000 and now have 103,000 just over a year. No tick, no knocks, just really noisy at idle, hot or cold. I started using TC-W3 about 5000 miles ago.1 oz to 5 gallons. My motor is dead quiet. I can hear the serpentine belt at idle rather then clicks and clacks etc. It actually cured the noise on the first tank full. I think a lot of the noise is injectors. I am sure many will find this ludicrous, but I am liking the 1 mpg improvement as well. Anything is welcome when you get 10.5 to 11.5 mpg.
What ic tc-w3?

KLook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That’s actually why I put it in there, to thicken it up some. The tick seems to be directly related to the oil temp, so as it thins out it ticks. Regardless I’m still planning on changing it again soon to try different options. Can I get redline oil or the lubeguard additive locally or do I have to order them online?
multi viscosity oil does not thin when it gets hot....it thickens.

OP
OP
D

dkelly3103

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
multi viscosity oil does not thin when it gets hot....it thickens.
I’m not sure what you mean by that, so you’re saying something like 5w20 gets thicker as it warms up?

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I think it is more that it does not thicken up when cold, like a straight 30 weight oil would.
I do know that at -30 you can not get a 30 weight oil out of the bottle. I have been running syth. 5-20 in these for years, never had a motor open since the 1960's I remember one time , the block heater breaker went out, and in the morning it was -45., truck started O.K., thou it was not happy. My little 50hp tractor would start when cold , if plugged in, but the hydraulics would not work below -10 unless run for a while.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
All oils thin when they get hot. Multi viscosity oils thin less than straight viscosity oils.

OP
OP
D

dkelly3103

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All oils thin when they get hot. Multi viscosity oils thin less than straight viscosity oils.
I’m lost lol. So was the other guy completely wrong then or is there something I’m missing here?

OP
OP
D

dkelly3103

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just an update, I added some lubeguard biotech as suggested and have put about another 500 miles on it since then and it has not made any difference. Still planning on trying redline but going to hold off for another 1000 miles or so as I just put in fresh oil before I made this thread and don’t want to dump it immediately. One weird thing I have noticed as I paid more attention to the ticking, when behind the truck you can hear the ticking carry out through the exhaust exit which I found interesting. Would this indicate a manifold leak? All the studs are intact and I know exhaust leaks normally quiet up as they warm up and mine is the opposite but I figured it might be a possibility?

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Yes. An impacting cam is unlikely to transmit sound up through the lifter, up the pushrod, through the rocker arm, down the valve stem, and out the exhaust pulse.

An exhaust leak however, will add a different tone to the exhaust pulse.

OP
OP
D

dkelly3103

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes. An impacting cam is unlikely to transmit sound up through the lifter, up the pushrod, through the rocker arm, down the valve stem, and out the exhaust pulse.

An exhaust leak however, will add a different tone to the exhaust pulse.
Well that’s good news lol. Have you personally heard of a case where the leak gets louder as the truck warms up? Also, is it still possible for it to have a leak at the manifold even if all the studs are there and tight?