Engine wash/detail?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Arctic-Rodz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Wondering how many of you all actually wash your engine bay?

My truck has been pretty dirty from driving around the caliche roads and going to the beach.

So I decided to show the engine some love. I went along the same lines as I wash my gasoline motor so someone tell me if I did wrong.

Covered up the batteries and alternator with a plastic bag. Sprayed some cool water on a cool motor. Then used general degreaser and used a big nylon brush to clean it out. Rinse again then used my air compressor to "blow dry" the motor. Then finished it off with Gunk engine protector. Leaves a nice black finish. It does collect some dust but its easier to clean as it only clings on to the spray itself.
But it lasts a good while. (as experienced in my other cars)

Well, here it is.
Because its whats on the inside that counts :favorites13:

20150922_115630_zpsqxw5jpwq.jpg
20150922_115653_zpscyzceiyb.jpg

Last edited:

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
So clean!! :waytogo:

Greg
2012 CCSB CTD 2500 | XRT PRO w/MCC by Double R Diesel

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks great! Want to do this to my 06 hemi which is gunked with 9 years of grime with no love. I cleaned it once but I think I got a bit of water in my plugs as it ran rough after doing so until it dried up. Threw a misfire code even.

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
I time my engine bay washes with oil changes. I just use a garden sprayer with Dawn to soap down the engine compartment. If I notice any really gnarly spots I'll hit them with some Gunk engine cleaner and a brush. I'll let the Dawn sit for about 15 minutes then hit the engine with a good hard pin-point water hose fitting. I hit everything except for the batteries and fuse compartment. Let it drip-dry for an hour or so and fire it up. I've never had any ignition problems, codes thrown, or any other failure.

If I had to do some mud slinging while hunting, I just skip the Dawn and give everything I can see/reach a good spray down with water to rinse the mud into the front yard.

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Every time I wash it I hose off the engine compartment and hit it with silicone free rubber dressing.