Excessive fuel return

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

akinterior

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel
I have a 2006 2500 and am getting excessive fuel return to the tank. Also there is metal in the fuel... a bad injector pump, the place I took it to said I needed a whole new fuel system injectors both fuel pumps and the common rail. Ouch my question is why would you need to replace the common rail there aren't any moving parts in it, when all you need to do is clean it out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It is not an absolute necessity to replace the fuel rail but you must replace the fuel pressure limit valve and I would replace the fuel rail pressure sensor too. There are several places that sell the fuel rail complete with limit valve and pressure sensor for less than the price of just the limit valve itself.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
No, nothing will need to be done to the ECM when you install new fuel injectors. The 6.7 Cummins is the only one that requires the injector codes to be programmed into the ECM